what is this "CV" good for?

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
Jaythejunkie

what is this "CV" good for?

Post by Jaythejunkie » Wed Aug 12, 2015 3:30 pm

my moog has optikey midi. My prophet 600 has midi and CV.
Do I need CV? Im under the impression it somehow modulates tempo to a drum machine? :wink:

im never big on midi, its ok I like wav forms in a daw now.

MC

Re: what is this "CV" good for?

Post by MC » Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:24 pm

CV is good if you are Vince "MIDI is crap" Clarke.
Gear list: '04 Saturn Ion, John Deere X300 tractor, ganged set of seven reel mowers for 3 acres of lawn, herd of sheep for backup lawn mowers, two tiger cats for mouse population control Oh you meant MUSIC gear Oops I hit the 255 character limi

Vince Ascoli

Post by Vince Ascoli » Wed Aug 12, 2015 5:06 pm

The CV on the P600 is meant for a control (volume-type, not momentary or switch) pedal that would allow you to sweep the filter hands-free.
Voyager Select Maple Jade, Voyager Aluminum, Xpander, OB-8, Prophet~6, Virus Ti Pølar, DX5

Jaythejunkie

Post by Jaythejunkie » Wed Aug 12, 2015 6:26 pm

id have to check but the p600 now has an assignable CV with the CPU upgrade?

But do I need it or.. "want it"

noddyspuncture

Post by noddyspuncture » Thu Aug 13, 2015 5:54 am

I don't see the problem here - surely you either use it or you don't use it... :?
Now if you were asking what CV is/does...!?

Cheers,
Tom

Bryan B

Post by Bryan B » Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:24 am

CV is great!

In a more modular system (like the MoogerFoogers, Moog Modular, etc.) voltages are used to control parameters in various different sections with many different possible results.

Think of CV like this. You only have 2 hands, so if you want to control more than 2 things at once, you need CV. Or if you can't turn the knob back and forth fast enough to create the effect you want to hear, you need CV. If you want a more precise range than your hands can perform, you will want CV. Control Voltage is like having extra hands and also hands that can do things faster and more precise than yours. I am often turning a knob a certain way (because I like how it sounds) and realize I can replace that movement with an LFO or envelope. Other times, the CV frequency is so fast it creates textures I could never create myself (or so slow, my arm would fall off trying to keep it going for an extended period of time).

Example: I want the pitch of my VCO to start high and go lower as I hold the key down. OK, put the envelope output on the frequency CV input. Now I want vibrato also. OK, put an LFO into the CV input for the VCA to control the volume. Now I want the filter to vary over time. OK, put a different LFO into the filter's CV input.
MemoryMoog Plus (with Kenton Midi Upgrade Kit) MF-101 Lowpass Filter, MF-102 Ring Mod, MF-103 Stage Phaser, MF104M Delay, MF-105M MIDI MuRF, MF-107 Freq Box, MF-108M ClusterFlux and CP-251 Control Processor.