Polymoog "Rev 2" High Quality" New Powersupply

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
megavoice

Polymoog "Rev 2" High Quality" New Powersupply

Post by megavoice » Tue Aug 04, 2015 2:49 pm

Well, here we go, guys !

The work is done, the high grade new PSU from my tech is put in and is working PHANTASTIC !!!
As assumed, it was a more FU**ing job as expected but now I`m the happiest man on the planet.
The mostly nasty thing was to remove, first, the tranny, because the screws it had been fixed with had been set from underneath of the back-Panel. So this panel had to be removed and unscrewed completely with its hundred billions of screws.
The second not so fine thing was to remove the tons of old solder tin from the power input jack, the on-off switch and the voltage selector.
And the third was to estimate the new spots on the L-plate of the new PSU for driling holes into and to use the original ones of the back panel.
But after a few hours sweating the the work was done and we could start measuring all the voltage values.
Of course, the work could have been done much easier by drilling new holes into the back panel but I absolutely didn`t want to. So it was a work of measuring and measuring and measuring........but with final success.

Of course, before I threw the old PSU out we measured the old original voltages, and it had been shown that they hadn`t been o.k. at all any more, so it was TIME to do the job....

But now after let running the Instrument for one hour to get warm, we measured again and received nearly phantastic values.: 14,999 V, - 14,997, and 5,002 V. My tech said that`s BANGING !!!
After one hour working there was NO HEAT to feel anywhere at any place, on any metal surface.
Absolutely NO NOISE, no humming any more............100% silence, silence, and silence.
And after one year of power consumption my portmonnai will laugh to to me loudly. There`s a rest of 40% power consumtion from the previous one.
And even more ! The usual ringing of all notes simultanously in the background is completely gone no matter how loud the sliders on the mixer section are set, and and all channels are more powerfoul than earlier or fluctuated up and down.

All in all, as my tech said, with the selection of the single components and the coception as a whole it is hardly possible to reach a higher quality of the whole item and it`s working.

In the next time it will be available for everyone to buy.
It is fully adjustable, and suited to be plugged in every outlet and grid of the whole world, automatically adapting lake all new PSUs.
Of course there will be also offered new ones in the same high quality for the Memorymoog (almost the same), Jupiter 8, the old Oberheims, Prophet 5s, Elka Synthex`, etc.
But this will be announced by my tech, and of cours the real prices, in the next time.
Prices will be NOT very expencsive, but realistic to the work that has to be done and the selection of high quality parts.

The old PSU I´ll Keep for a while, maybe after ten years I can probably receive a good price for selling it as a collector`s item, but it also can be upgraded by doing fully the cap job and by swapping all the diodes.
That thing, I think, will also still work great again after.

It`s a pity that I can`t show you pics from the new as I`ve no camera and the rest of equipment, but Chuck who received also a new PSU for his Memorymoog recetly and put it in is probably able to do. I hope so and will ask him.
"Losers always whine about their best. Winners go home and fu** the prom queen." —Sean Connery to Nicholas Cage in "The Rock" (1996)
I've never seen any real prom queen here in my country, but if we had some they'd
**** with everyone.

atomicsynth

Re: Polymoog "Rev 2" High Quality" New Powersupply

Post by atomicsynth » Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:09 am

Hi Mega,

As you said, the Memorymoog version is in mine and it is incredible!

https://instagram.com/p/55A-QkKQ6s/

https://instagram.com/p/55BWduKQ7o/

https://instagram.com/p/55B71LKQ9H/

Enjoy your 21st century Polymoog, Mega!

megavoice

Post by megavoice » Wed Aug 12, 2015 2:08 pm

Well, thank you SO MUCH :D , you`re really lovely.............hope the people like the pics as well..........

I had the instrument running all around the clock for a few days and it gives me kinda impression I`ve a completely new one.......it`s fabulous.
I never believed previously that one day I`ll be able to create so much joy, mostly because of the power that comes out now through the speakers and it`s now stable as a rock...........
"Losers always whine about their best. Winners go home and fu** the prom queen." —Sean Connery to Nicholas Cage in "The Rock" (1996)
I've never seen any real prom queen here in my country, but if we had some they'd
**** with everyone.

atomicsynth

Post by atomicsynth » Wed Aug 12, 2015 6:34 pm

Happy to post the pics, Mega. Here's the new ventilation panel.

https://instagram.com/p/6UKBtkqQ08/

megavoice

Post by megavoice » Fri Aug 14, 2015 1:36 pm

atomicsynth wrote:Happy to post the pics, Mega. Here's the new ventilation panel.

https://instagram.com/p/6UKBtkqQ08/
Awesome ! :D
**** with everyone.

atomicsynth

Post by atomicsynth » Fri Aug 14, 2015 4:21 pm

Here's a video that shows how well it stays in tune now.
https://instagram.com/p/6YG_1gKQyx/

dougt

Post by dougt » Sat Aug 15, 2015 2:05 am

Hi Chuck, I guess you got the CEM3340 and Memorymoog screw from me OK then. How much was the new PS?

megavoice

Post by megavoice » Mon Aug 17, 2015 1:03 pm

atomicsynth wrote:Here's a video that shows how well it stays in tune now.
https://instagram.com/p/6YG_1gKQyx/
Yeah, that`s unbeatable ! But I know this for a longer time as our tech keeps me informed of all about he worked on for a longer time, in details, but sorry for this, that`s his own secret and will stay.........
**** with everyone.

atomicsynth

Post by atomicsynth » Fri Aug 21, 2015 2:44 pm

dougt wrote:Hi Chuck, I guess you got the CEM3340 and Memorymoog screw from me OK then. How much was the new PS?
Hi Doug, I did and thank you! I haven't even put that vco in yet you sent because the synth is now even holding the two bad date code 3340's (I suspect Mike Bucki swapped without telling me) since the new supply. So the vco I bought from you is an unused spare of which I know it'll work if I ever need it because your parts are always good, so thank you Doug.

Heinz is selling the supply for € 250 plus shipping from Germany.

I don't come to the forum a lot Doug and had missed your post so your have my email if you need further info.

dougt

Post by dougt » Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:24 pm

atomicsynth wrote:
dougt wrote:Hi Chuck, I guess you got the CEM3340 and Memorymoog screw from me OK then. How much was the new PS?
Hi Doug, I did and thank you! I haven't even put that vco in yet you sent because the synth is now even holding the two bad date code 3340's (I suspect Mike Bucki swapped without telling me) since the new supply. So the vco I bought from you is an unused spare of which I know it'll work if I ever need it because your parts are always good, so thank you Doug.

Are you sure? Martin told me it was € 500 which I thought was bit too pricey...

megavoice

Post by megavoice » Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:57 pm

dougt wrote:
atomicsynth wrote:

Are you sure? Martin told me it was € 500 which I thought was bit too pricey...
If you`d like, you can buy an old sniffy PSU for 500,- EU. But this one is history now.

I can confirm definitively, that the new one as Chuck said will cost EU 250,00 plus shipping.
The current producer is the developer of the old and now the new one and doesn`t work with that man you named above any more for months.
Contact me directly if you seriously want to buy one and I`ll keep you informed when they`re available.
To start, my tech, as he said, needs more orders.
He`ll also put the item on ebay for sale soon.
**** with everyone.

Laurin

Post by Laurin » Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:42 am

Is it possible to get this announced Polymoog-PSU anywhere?

My Polymoog developes a lot of heat around his old PSU, which concerns me a bit. A better PSU would make sense for old Polymoogs ...

toobdude

Post by toobdude » Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:08 pm

It was Heinz Weierhorst that was making the switching PSU for the MM. I'm not sure he made one for the Polymoog, but I'm sure he has the skills to do that. I don't think he is making them any more. Too bad, I was lucky to get one for my MM and it is great not to have that boat anchor transformer in there .... and no fan any more either!
Sorry, I do not know how to contact Heinz ... but wherever you are Heinz - THANKS!

noddyspuncture

Post by noddyspuncture » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:47 am

Personally I really don't like switch mode power supplies. They do go faulty and when they do they can basically self destruct. You can't really repair them either - not easily anyway.

What you guys gonna do when your SMPS gets old and eventually gives up - as they all do...?
I much prefer a linear PSU which can be worked on and can be easily kept running..!

What are your thoughts...?

MC

Post by MC » Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:19 am

Definitely prefer the linear PSU for service and keeping them running forever. They largely follow a standard design. You can troubleshoot them without a schematic, which can't be said for SMPS.

Switching supplies aren't all bad - they were used in the Oberheim Xpander and I never heard any trouble with them. So they CAN co-exist peacefully with analog synths, as long as you know decoupling techniques.

It's the computer supplies that don't last, and that's by design. Without a schematic or service manual, you can't troubleshoot them properly. New replacements are cheaper than the cost of troubleshooting them.
Gear list: '04 Saturn Ion, John Deere X300 tractor, ganged set of seven reel mowers for 3 acres of lawn, herd of sheep for backup lawn mowers, two tiger cats for mouse population control Oh you meant MUSIC gear Oops I hit the 255 character limi