Power-One supply for modular

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
rarecomponent

Power-One supply for modular

Post by rarecomponent » Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:07 pm

I'm considering using two Power-One units to power cloned Moog modules .
The 12v is no problem but for -6v I've been advised to use a Power One HC5v, modify it slightly , and swap the positive/negative out to deliver the -6v.

But would I have problems regarding grounding? ie using two separate transformers and regulator boards etc

I know Moog psu's use the normal dual supply ....what I am considering is using two totaly separate supplies for the two required voltages .

I don't know if this is possible .

robotmakers

Re: Power-One supply for modular

Post by robotmakers » Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:10 pm

I did precisely this, but also creating the -10v source required by 901 VCOs. It works perfectly, and I recommend it as an excellent solution. This thread describes it in some detail. There is no issue with grounding - simply tie the two grounds together. I actually did exactly this for two separate modular systems.

http://forum.moogmusic.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=22954

Let me know if you have any questions.

Best regards,
Roger

rarecomponent

Post by rarecomponent » Tue Jul 07, 2015 5:03 pm

Brilliant....many thanks Roger...that's just what I hoped to hear. I'm going ahead with the project.

synthguy

Post by synthguy » Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:20 am

I was looking at these recently as well.
The HCC512-A series (A dual supply) looks like it could be modded to work well for the Moog modular, supplying the -6v and +12 V rails.
Each output is isolated, so it could be hooked up to be positive or negative, and there is a trimmer for each side to adjust the voltages. The regulation specs look very good.
If you look on EBay, there are often used ones for a good price to experiment with, which I've been planning to do.
I just finished refurbishing my Moog 930 modular supply and it's working very well ( running much cooler and quieter), but was considering picking one of the Power Ones up used for comparison at some point.
Visit my synthblog...Moogs and more!
Www.synthguy.com