Which Moog to buy

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
EricK

Re: Which Moog to buy

Post by EricK » Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:59 pm

If you are a purist about the Moog sound then go vintage. But right now the prices are very high.

If you can save money for the bigger purchase, then save. If you can afford a Voyager it doesn't take much more to get a Model D minimoog. If you desire something mythical like the Minimoog, then nothing will satisfy that desire but a minimoog.

You can also achieve the Moog sound with modular equipment, but that is an entirely different ballgame and is a very expensive money pit.

It sounds like you have an idea about what you want in mind, but are attempting to settle for something less.
Last edited by EricK on Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:00 pm

Atomicsynth, if the price of a Moog Voyager is a downer for him, don't you think that the current crazy prices for a Minimoog D would also be an even BIGGER downer ? :wink:
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

atomicsynth

Post by atomicsynth » Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:05 pm

I didn't ebay Model D's so I don't know, Alien. I just think they sound and work better.

motion drive

Post by motion drive » Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:18 pm

well...Model D's are super expensiv i think. My price limit is around a new Sub37...so voyager and model d are out anyway.

Nah guys...I'm almost sure to buy another Little Phatty. The value wont go a lot more down then the 700 bucks, that i have to pay now...so i guess i still could resell it one day, if I feel the need for the mothership Voyager...

If someone out there wants to convince me for the SUB37...last chance :D :D :D

EricK

Post by EricK » Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:50 pm

The Sub37 has a knob-per-function interface, is paraphonic, has a sequencer, has a modularesque routing capability. It is clearly the better instrument, hands down.
I don't really see how they can sound difrent. Any benefit of the Phatty's overdrive can be achieved with external gear.

From a synthesis perspective there is no competition. Sub 37 is a better design and you are likely to see further improvements over the OS and features before you will a discontinued product.

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:24 pm

atomicsynth wrote:I didn't ebay Model D's so I don't know, Alien. I just think they sound and work better.
Oh, on that I agree wholeheartedly with you ! 100% :D
If you haven't been checking them lately, current Minimoog D prices might astonish you ! :shock:
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

c7sus

Post by c7sus » Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:53 pm

If you really want a Voyager I would say keep saving and look into the used market. I've had mine for 10 years and it has a few little quirks, but nothing major. It has never been serviced but I did do the field upgrade. The Voyager is a super deep instrument and with a VX-351, CP-251, and some MoogerFoogers the possibilities are only limited by your imagination. You might also look into the Voyager RME combined with a MIDI controller.

I have been on the fence about a Sub 37 for the last 6 months. It seems like for everybody that raves about it there is somebody that is disappointed in the build quality and performance. I still want a Sub 37 and am hoping that as the build team gets more experience and feedback from customers they will be turning out a higher quality and much more consistent product. Cranking out 5000 pieces in a year has proven the Sub 37 to be an overwhelming success in terms of sales and popularity, and pound-for-pound I doubt there is any other product out there that can rival the features at that price point. What I don't want is a new synth with issues that require a cross-country trip to be resolved.
Voyager EB #165, T3 #292, MF-101, 102, 103, 104SD, 2x104MSD, 105M, 107, 108M, MP-201, VX-351, CP-251, Frostwave Fat Controller.

EricK

Post by EricK » Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:59 pm

I got my '78 Model D for $3850 so there are deals that can be had despite the rapacious sellers asking $5000+ for the Moog badge surcharge.

Right now, this is a Voyager buyer's market. There are surely a lot of them out there and I know a guy who had a hard time getting rid of his because of that. A used Voyager RME can be had for not too much more than a Sub 37 if you get lucky.

Poptones

Post by Poptones » Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:07 pm

Dunno, if I can be of any help, motion drive, but here are a couple of sounds I did with the Sub 37 right after I got it (23 examples in total):

https://soundcloud.com/pauldither/sets/ ... b-37-demos

I also recorded two tracks that only feature sounds made with the Sub 37:

https://soundcloud.com/pauldither/ambience-thirty-seven
https://soundcloud.com/pauldither/again-and

Of course I'm not entirely sure if any of these pieces feature the kind of sounds you're looking for, but I thought I'd try.
Beta Test Info:
macOS 10.12.6 | Ableton Live Suite 10 | plug-in format: AU | current Moog gear: MF-104M Analog Delay, Minitaur, Sub 37 Tribute Edition

sunny pedaal

Post by sunny pedaal » Sun Jun 21, 2015 6:40 am

to give an indication:
voyager s/h 2500, old school 2000, minimoog 4500+ maintaince/ servicing
micro700upwards, prodigy 900something
never had a problem with my voyager, mini still is the top,
but if i were you and had the money i'd say the sub37 is good value , and a good moog sound.
oh all those possibilities, already starts with the process of buying :-)

megavoice

Post by megavoice » Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:30 pm

What about buying two ? The Sub 37 and a Prodigy.
You`re going to to have then an ultra modern and programable instrument and on the other side an ultra vintage Moog sound and two independant instruments for different usings........
"Losers always whine about their best. Winners go home and fu** the prom queen." —Sean Connery to Nicholas Cage in "The Rock" (1996)
I've never seen any real prom queen here in my country, but if we had some they'd
**** with everyone.

motion drive

Post by motion drive » Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:11 am

Ok guys... decision have been made..
I just bought a second Hand 1 year old Little Phatty for around 700$
I hope I did the right choice…but I think for the money it’s a fair deal for now…
Thx for the inputs!!

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Tue Jun 23, 2015 2:30 pm

Congrats, but... Didn't you write this in your initial post in this thread ?
motion drive wrote: Little Phatty
I once had this model, but had a lot of tuning and timing Problems. I like the sound of the Little Phatty very much, but I’m afraid to have tons of bugs again. Another downer is the interface which is not hands on at all.
I also hope that you've made the right choice, and not the same mistake twice. Even if I don't necessarily consider getting a Little Phatty a mistake... :wink:
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion