Prophet 600 vs. Korg Polysix

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
peak

Prophet 600 vs. Korg Polysix

Post by peak » Wed Feb 15, 2006 3:48 pm

just recently I purchased a P600 and so far I am enjoying it but I have always been curious about the Korg Polysix. I wanted a nice affordable & portable poly synth to go with my prodigy, voyager, and MS-20.

I would like to hear from users that have or had both.

things liked or disliked....blah blah blah.

Thanks

Demokid

Post by Demokid » Thu Feb 16, 2006 5:52 am

Hi!

I have owned both a P6 and a P600 but both are sold many years ago. The P6 was my second analog sizer and I really loved that sizer. Basic but it sounded alive with sole, probably due to the lovely filter and VCO (SSM chip) and the internal noisy effects.
I bought the P600 since I didn’t have the money to buy a used P5. The P600 sounded like a Sequential sizer and sometimes even like a P5 but the hardware quality, resolution of some parameters e.g. Cut-off was disappointing. I sold the P600 and bought a P5 instead. Another sad thing with the P600 is that it use CEM3372 for VCF and VCA and not the classic 3320.

If I had to choose between the too today I’ll go for the P6 and install MIDI into it.

I’m not saying that the P600 is no good. It certainly has that Sequential sound and has 2 VCO’s and MIDI but it is something with those SSM chip’s inside the P6 that I love.

Regards
Demokid
Gearlist: Andromeda A6, Emu E4XT Ultra, Korg MS20, Minimoog Model D (incl.MIDI), Minimoog Voyager AE, Roland Jupiter-8 (MIDI), RE-301, Prophet~5 (Rev3.3 incl MIDI), Poly Evolver Keyboard, Pro~One, Prophet 08, Synthesizers.com Custom Studio-44

peak

Post by peak » Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:25 am

I agree about the resolution of some of the parameters of the P600. definitely "steppy" and that is quite annoying. This is probably my number one complaint about this synthesizer.

Was the polysix pretty reliable? and are there any "known" issues that a person needs to watch out for when purchasing a polysix?

thanks for your advice.

Impossible Sound

Post by Impossible Sound » Thu Feb 16, 2006 11:46 am

Replace the battery:

http://www.oldcrows.net/~oldcrow/synth/korg/polysix/

Isn't this a bit off-topic for this forum?

peak

Post by peak » Thu Feb 16, 2006 12:12 pm

Impossible Sound wrote:Replace the battery:

http://www.oldcrows.net/~oldcrow/synth/korg/polysix/
thanks!
Impossible Sound wrote:Isn't this a bit off-topic for this forum?
maybe. I have read threads here where people discuss other synths besides moogs and it didn't seem to be a problem. there are obviously people here with knowledge about synths that go beyond just moogs, so I didn't see it being a big deal. plus, I wanted advice on two particular poly synths to GO with my voyager & prodigy :wink:

endocrine

Post by endocrine » Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:58 pm

I agree. You guys know everything about everthing, and there just aren't many good synth forums that I can find. So, to go even further off topic: does anybody have experience with the Poly61? It's cheaper and I'm all about cheap. How does the P6 compare to the P61?
-Tyler2000-
"You can't touch me 'cause your hands are made of metal."
-Alabama Jihad

Demokid

Post by Demokid » Fri Feb 17, 2006 5:14 am

My P6 was reliable and pretty stable in tune. Not to stable so it sounded dull. I replaced the battery and placed it direct on the bottom wood plate and not on the circuit board (just to be on the safe side). All the talk about the P6 really makes me want to buy one!!! :lol:

The P61 is no fun… (According to me) It has DCO and almost no knobs. :(

Regards
Demokid
Gearlist: Andromeda A6, Emu E4XT Ultra, Korg MS20, Minimoog Model D (incl.MIDI), Minimoog Voyager AE, Roland Jupiter-8 (MIDI), RE-301, Prophet~5 (Rev3.3 incl MIDI), Poly Evolver Keyboard, Pro~One, Prophet 08, Synthesizers.com Custom Studio-44