Minimoog Fools.......or ......Voodoo...?

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
thealien666

Re: Minimoog Fools.......or ......Voodoo...?

Post by thealien666 » Wed Jun 03, 2015 1:36 pm

Hey, as long as things get better and better with time, that's all that counts ! :mrgreen:
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

megavoice

Post by megavoice » Fri Jun 05, 2015 1:14 pm

Y
thealien666 wrote:Hey, as long as things get better and better with time, that's all that counts ! :mrgreen:
Yes, but only with a big amount of Vitamin B, and blood, sweat and tears............
The day before yesterday the flickering came back, heavily but went away after an hour. It seems when not switching on 2 or 3 days this has an influence on.....
Obviously you are very right at the end with what you said at the beginning that this is just a situation of agony and the lamp will be dead soon.......we`ll see
"Losers always whine about their best. Winners go home and fu** the prom queen." —Sean Connery to Nicholas Cage in "The Rock" (1996)
I've never seen any real prom queen here in my country, but if we had some they'd
**** with everyone.

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Fri Jun 05, 2015 1:29 pm

As I said before, it's relatively easy to find an exact replacement and it's inexpensive. This online store even supplies two wire nuts, so you don't even have to desolder anything and simply cut the old wires of the old lamp and tie the new ones with those wire nuts. :D
There are other stores that carry this item too...

http://www.caesound.net/minimoogpilotlight.aspx
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

megavoice

Post by megavoice » Fri Jun 05, 2015 1:32 pm

Great thanks again for your lovely advices, but two had already been bought a few weeks ago. Maybe they`re already in my postbox......
"Losers always whine about their best. Winners go home and fu** the prom queen." —Sean Connery to Nicholas Cage in "The Rock" (1996)
I've never seen any real prom queen here in my country, but if we had some they'd
**** with everyone.

megavoice

Post by megavoice » Wed Jun 10, 2015 1:26 pm

Well, the to Pilot Lights arrived and I`m slightly disappointed as they`re not completely original.
Now please don`t call me a nitpicker but I want to have my old stuff as original as possible as they are in "Collectors Condition".
The two new I`ve got are about 1 1/2 - 2 mm higher and don`t have those "fresnel" rings on the top.
I looked everywhere around and at all suppliers like Caysound or Syntaur they are the same. So the "Very" originals obviously are not available any more.
Maybe someone has to offer one day a NOS or will sell his Mini in parts..........

What about the voltage ? There`s stamped on 125 V, but my grit has 230 V ? I hope there`s a conversion inside of the instrument.
**** with everyone.

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Wed Jun 10, 2015 2:26 pm

Yes, the 115-230 V selector switch on the back will also send only 115 V to that pilot light (the switch uses a separate primary winding of the internal transformer to lower the 230 V to 115 V. It's a clever design to use only one transformer, and one pilot lamp, for many countries with different power sources.)

As for the lamp casing, mine is 100% original, and doesn't have a Fresnel lens (with concentric rings) on it. It's red tinted clear plastic. And the height of that plastic cap is 6 mm, and the diameter is 8 mm.
I suspect that yours had been replaced at some point with a similar one, but not a direct exact replacement part. either that, or the pilot light used by Moog Music during the 10 years of the production run of the Minimoog D had changed, according to different suppliers maybe ?

Here's a photo of mine (date code on my Mini is 1975):

Last edited by thealien666 on Wed Jun 10, 2015 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

megavoice

Post by megavoice » Wed Jun 10, 2015 2:34 pm

Hmm, very interesting....
So it Looks like that I have a "later" original with the Fresnel lense and smaller sized.
The two new are obviously the same like yours.
The Ser. Nr. of my Mini is just below 13000......and I`m the very first owner.......nothing had been modded ever.....
**** with everyone.

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Wed Jun 10, 2015 2:39 pm

Yours is a very very late model ! (they stopped production very soon after that at serial 13180)
So it's very possible that the pilot lamp supplier had changed in the last stretch of production from 1976 to 1981.

Anyway, as long as it fits in place, and lights up properly, that's the main point. At least now you know that your Mini will look as authentic as the thousands produced before it, but maybe not ALL of them. :wink:

It's like the mod wheels, some of them had a "cream" color and had raised grooves and had a flat top, some (like mine) were pure white with smooth with rounded edge top, some of them were clear (transparent on the very early ones)...
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

megavoice

Post by megavoice » Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:22 pm

You`re very lovely, as usual....... :D
**** with everyone.

atomicsynth

Post by atomicsynth » Sun Jun 21, 2015 9:10 am

I have no opinion about the neon light other than if it were me, given it's age I'd replace it.

But I do not like deoxit. I used it during Memorymoog repair because of
all the talk about connector oxidation, etc and that Deoxit stuff is flat out conductive. I let it dry beyond their recommended time and it caused a short that took out a couple of opamps (since fixed) I'm convinced. If I ever were to use it again (highly unlikely),
anything used on dries overnight at minimum because that stuff is most definitely conductive and does not dry in the two minutes Deoxit claims. I no longer trust the stuff given my experience using it

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:16 am

I've never had any problems with Deoxit D5, other than the fact that it's not a permanent solution, and contacts will probably have to be cleaned again in the near future.

As for it creating a short, enough to fry components, I don't believe it. Those op amps were probably faulty, or about to fail, to begin with. I've even used that product on sensitive CMOS circuits many times in the past and it never caused any shorts or problems of any sort, other than having to redo the contacts cleaning again shortly after.

But I don't really like it either and don't use it much anymore, because of its temporary solution only aspect. Better use isopropyl alcohol.

But I was curious about your statement. So I went ahead and did an experiment, I sprayed enough Deoxit into a small container to put my ohmmeter probes in it to measure the conductivity, if any, and even with the probes only 1/64 of an inch apart, the indication was infinite. No resistance whatsoever. Not even lower than 40 megohms (my meters measurement limit). And in case you're wondering, the probes were dipping into the liquid about 1/4 of an inch deep. More than enough to create a good contact.
Then, to be absolutely sure, I let it dry (for about two hours for that big an amount to evaporate) and touched the non-conductive surface of the bottom of the container (plastic) and, again, no resistance whatsoever between the probes, even extremely close together.

Conclusion: Deoxit is definitely non-conductive, as I thought and experimented.

As a bonus though, the ends of my probes are deoxidized...for a while. :wink:
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

atomicsynth

Post by atomicsynth » Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:34 am

D1 caused sparking. I heard it when I repowered, the front panel display even ghosted when it happened. D1 is 100% deoxit. D5 isn't. I agree that 91% isopropyl is better, which I used to use without any problems.

megavoice

Post by megavoice » Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:44 pm

atomicsynth wrote:I have no opinion about the neon light other than if it were me, given it's age I'd replace it.

But I do not like deoxit. I used it during Memorymoog repair because of
all the talk about connector oxidation, etc and that Deoxit stuff is flat out conductive. I let it dry beyond their recommended time and it caused a short that took out a couple of opamps (since fixed) I'm convinced. If I ever were to use it again (highly unlikely),
anything used on dries overnight at minimum because that stuff is most definitely conductive and does not dry in the two minutes Deoxit claims. I no longer trust the stuff given my experience using it
Hi Chuck,

I`m baffeling completely about what you`re writing about the Deoxit ?????????
My tech is SO SATISFIED and so enthusiastic with that he said it`s the best deoxite he`s got ever. He drops a lot of money to get it from the US to Europe.
I`m going to talk back and clarify all about that........
**** with everyone.

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:45 pm

Direct from the CAIG Laboratories web site (the makers of Deoxit):
Are DeoxIT® Products Conductive?

Letter from a customer: "I recently read on the Boatanchors Mail List (restoration of vintage radio gear) a claim that DeoxIT® is "conductive." It stated that "The DeoxIT® caused a short on the phenolic wafer switch between a connecting tab carrying 175V plate supply to the bandswitch AND the mounting screw which is grounded."

Please provide any information concerning the role that solder flux may have played; along with the necessary specifications and applications information for using DeoxIT® on live electrical circuits or circuits that are energized after application.

Thank you,

A. Allen
Audio Service"

DeoxIT® is NOT conductive, however, phenolic is composed of multiple layers of material and readily absorbs liquid. As a result, any product that contains a conductive material should not be used. Most manufactures include alcohol in their contact cleaners, lubricants and preservatives (even very small percentages), and alcohol will cause short circuits.

DeoxIT®, DeoxIT® GOLD, DeoxIT® SHIELD, DeoxIT® FaderLube liquids are completely non-conductive, and neither the 100% liquids or the 5% spray versions contain alcohol or any other conductive constituents.

Warnings should be issued cautioning technicians from using any contact cleaners containing alcohol. This is one of the most common misuses of contact cleaners.

Also, the use of silicone in any type of contact cleaning solutions should be avoided because it can be detrimental to the long-term performance of the contact or switch because it will degrade phenolics and plastics over time.

DeoxIT ® is used for many applications including telephone switching systems that contain phenolic materials. Care should be taken to reduce exposure of any materials, including DeoxIT ® to phenolic materials due to its porosity.

Even superior phenolics over long periods of time degrade, and thereby more easily absorb any materials, whether it be DeoxIT ® or any other product. To prevent this from happening, we offer many applicators to assist the technician in applying our products to the metal surfaces directly without concern with over-spray on to the phenolic materials.

If a spray version is required due to inaccessibility of a contact area, we recommend our DeoxIT ® (D100S-2) 100% spray, which contains no solvent. This version reduces potential over-spray by confining the product to a controlled area without migration of solvent.

The DeoxIT ® 100% solution is safe for use on energized circuits, as is our new non-flammable DeoxIT ® DN5 (DN5MS-15) spray.

Our most popular DeoxIT ® D5 (D5S-6; flush - slow dry) is not recommended for energized circuits due to the fact that it contains a flammable solvent. We always recommend turning equipment off prior to application, and waiting two minutes before turning the equipment back on.

This caution is due to the brief flammability of the solvent, not the conductivity of the solvent. If the energized system arcs, it could cause a flash, thus causing damage to relay contacts, power contacts, commutators, etc.

Finally, DeoxIT ® spray is not recommended for rosin flux removal.

So, I guess they should know. BTW, using alcohol is perfectly alright provided that it has the chance to evaporate completely before powering up the circuits.
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

megavoice

Post by megavoice » Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:43 pm

Well, as I assumed my tech said the believe that the blow of the OP amps had been caused by the deoxite all belongs into the land of dreams,
He`s working now with "all around the clock" for years and never had a short.
All what can happen are leakage currents........nothing more.....
The OP amps could have been blown from all alone so as they are.
I also had a blown OP amp in my T2 not long ago and this had been my least used item............."Made in Malaysia"
**** with everyone.