How to tell if my moog is 100% in tune and good?

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
Jaythejunkie

How to tell if my moog is 100% in tune and good?

Post by Jaythejunkie » Thu May 07, 2015 7:30 pm

Si Iv spent the past month referbishing my moog, cleaning pots and rebuilding the keybed.

But as I have noticed 100% of my knobs do work and ossolitors work.

Now the brass tax, how can I tunbe my moog to a plain saw wave or something?
Iv looked on ebay and none showing detailed knobs for the sound.

I get a really moogy gritty nasty tone. A brutal analog sound only.

Example this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Excq6SQgFL4

Mine is a box of hellish chain saws that self ossolate into hell and back.

I have so much to learn! man 60 days of buying parts and today its totally working!

thank you!

thealien666

Re: How to tell if my moog is 100% in tune and good?

Post by thealien666 » Fri May 08, 2015 12:58 pm

There is no adjustment for waveform shape (but they sound ok to me in this video, even though the sound was coming from the camera microphone instead of directly recorded from the Mini :roll: ).

The only thing obvious is that your Mini D needs to be properly retuned and recalibrated (oscillators not tracking very well).

Use a guitar tuner (or any digital piano, or keyboard to compare the pitch of each note with).

The calibration procedure can be found in the user manual, as well as the service manual.
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

Jaythejunkie

Post by Jaythejunkie » Fri May 08, 2015 1:07 pm

thanks! its not my moog in the video but from taking on an "Attic classic" moog that was damaged I think im doing good so far!
:D

So far my moog has a really grainy guitar tone, and the classic spaceship star trek sounds.
My hope is to get the basics done and some cosmetics, new plates and jacks then sent it out to get calibrated in Oakland Ca. :mrgreen:

Hay all I know is all the knobs work and make changes!
Other then that I cant make a really pure tone like my Alesis Andromeda. (or my K2600 for that matter)

Just a very grainey "Boat motor" or Modular sounding bass synth.

Ill make a video when I get the power cord done.

THIS tutorial should get me going!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtRvFyw8cYA

atomicsynth

Post by atomicsynth » Sun Jun 14, 2015 10:41 am

Jaythejunkie wrote: Other then that I cant make a really pure tone like my Alesis Andromeda. (or my K2600 for that matter)
The Andromeda's oscillators are at least part digital. The K2600 is all digital. The K2600's oscillators have digital aliasing noise clearly heard at high frequencies. Your Moog has all analog oscillators that will drift and have other highly desirable artifacts.

I think you need to perform a complete by the service manual (assuming you have one) calibration. You may need to acquire a 4 1/2 digit dvm (amazon) to do the calibration. Since I read in this thread there are no trimmer adjustments for waveform shape you shouldn't need a scope.

I suspect your filter needs to be calibrated also.

Do it from the manual and not you tube is my suggestion or take it to a reputable tech to have the whole synth calibrated if you don't know what you are doing, which is how it reads to me.

Jaythejunkie

Post by Jaythejunkie » Sun Jun 14, 2015 2:17 pm

hi I had pretty much every singlet thing on all at once.
Making a wonderful muddy boat motor tone.

I turned everything off, then turned each rocker switch on one at a time making a pretty nice sound.
:mrgreen:

Its the old cant get this think out of first gear disorder.