Model D - keyboard assembly & restoration

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
cameric

Model D - keyboard assembly & restoration

Post by cameric » Sat Apr 11, 2015 6:30 am

Hi folks,

Longtime lurker, infrequent poster, on a familiar topic. I'd be grateful for any helpful pointers! In short I'm trying to track down a Pratt-Read keyboard assembly for my minimoog model D. I also need the metal plate for the back of the 'brain'. But I'm also exploring alternative case ideas.

The back story: I rescued the 'brain' and faceplate of a mini from a 70s musical instrument graveyard in a Vancouver basement many years ago, and have restored it to functionality with the help of some great techs, and added a NOS pitch ribbon controller. I have an original wood case for it. Unfortunately I have been unable to find a Pratt-Read keyboard, or an equivalent keyboard solution, to complete the puzzle. While it's something I hope to do (it's a fading hope), I'm also exploring interim (tho realistically probably long-term) solutions.

What I'd like is a light-weight casing that would protect the guts, mount the pitch ribbon control unit alongside the main unit, look good, and be a good shape for home use and the occasional gig. Anybody have any experience with stripped minis they've rescued (or later regretted stripping)? Anyone built a similar case?

Whaddaya think?

Revtor

Re: Model D - keyboard assembly & restoration

Post by Revtor » Sun Apr 12, 2015 2:40 pm

Similar thread going on here by "jaythejunkie". Might have a partial keyboard assembly that would get you going towards bringing the instrument back to life..?

Once you find a keybed that fits correctly, CAE sound sells buss bars and springs to build up the switching parts of the keyboard if needed, or there is always the OptoKey setup.

~Steve

cameric

Post by cameric » Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:00 pm

Thanks for the tip! Could you tell me a bit more about the 'optokey set-up'?

I'm also looking for tips on alternative mounting that don't involve using the original case and keyboard...

Jaythejunkie

Post by Jaythejunkie » Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:20 am

ok, Iv got this all figured out now,

that is the entire pratt reed keyboard.
You will need the Optikey system and a metal bracket to mount in your moog.
Attachments
002-800.jpg
003-800.jpg
006.JPG