Moog VSTs

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
GregAE

Re: Moog VSTs

Post by GregAE » Fri Feb 24, 2006 2:23 pm

THM wrote:
endocrine wrote:Are there any others? Are they free?

There's also one FREEware and pretty good Minimoog VST clone - entitled "MiniMogue".
see http://www.home.no/gunnare/index.htm
For those unfamiliar with the Minimoog, it should pointed out that this freeware VA synth only slightly resembles the original. On the original Mini:

- Osciilator 1 has no frequency control
- The oscillators have six waveform selections, including a 'sharktooth wave (not found here), but no sine or saw (down ramp). Clockwise, the order of the waveforms are tri, sharktooth, saw, square, pulse, and thin pulse.
- The oscillator ranges are LO, 32, 16, 8, 4 & 2. There is no 1' setting.
- There is no overdrive control.
- There is no FT control (no idea what this is)
- There is no dedicated LFO (the Mini used Osc 3 for this)
- There are no velocity controls
- The filter and loudness contours are ADS only (the decay knob doubles as a release control when Decay switch is ON)
- There's no chorus or delay
- There's no arpeggiator

That said, the MiniMogue VA looks pretty capable (especially for free!). For me, though, I prefer hardware. I'll take a real knob over a virtual one any day!

- Greg

peak

Post by peak » Fri Feb 24, 2006 4:55 pm

why not embrace both worlds?

I use hardware synths along with software synths. My live setup consists of many hardware analog synths running through a computer which also hosts many software synths and effects. I even patch in hardware effects. it's a complete modular setup and my routing possibilities are pretty much endless.

don't be fooled into believing one world is better than the other.

in the end...it's all about sounds and creative expression.

endocrine

Post by endocrine » Sat Feb 25, 2006 4:09 am

Yeah. I also perfer hardware synths. I think alot of people do. But free VSTis are pretty awesome because they just that: free. When you are tight on cash like me, free is a really easy way to expand your arsenal.
"You can't touch me 'cause your hands are made of metal."
-Alabama Jihad

THM

Re: Moog VSTs

Post by THM » Sat Feb 25, 2006 8:45 am

GregAE wrote:
THM wrote:
endocrine wrote:Are there any others? Are they free?

There's also one FREEware and pretty good Minimoog VST clone - entitled "MiniMogue".
see http://www.home.no/gunnare/index.htm
For those unfamiliar with the Minimoog, it should pointed out that this freeware VA synth only slightly resembles the original. On the original Mini:

- Osciilator 1 has no frequency control
- The oscillators have six waveform selections, including a 'sharktooth wave (not found here), but no sine or saw (down ramp). Clockwise, the order of the waveforms are tri, sharktooth, saw, square, pulse, and thin pulse.
- The oscillator ranges are LO, 32, 16, 8, 4 & 2. There is no 1' setting.
- There is no overdrive control.
- There is no FT control (no idea what this is)
- There is no dedicated LFO (the Mini used Osc 3 for this)
- There are no velocity controls
- The filter and loudness contours are ADS only (the decay knob doubles as a release control when Decay switch is ON)
- There's no chorus or delay
- There's no arpeggiator

That said, the MiniMogue VA looks pretty capable (especially for free!). For me, though, I prefer hardware. I'll take a real knob over a virtual one any day!

- Greg

Absolutely true; I also prefer the original hardware stuff (oh yes it still sounds better), but I just liked to mention a freeware MOOG-alike.
Not everyone can afford the hardware stuff, so we should respect that. :D
Cheers.
http://www.myspace.com/thmsynthfreak

natrixgli

Post by natrixgli » Thu Mar 09, 2006 6:37 am

I use MinimogueVA and I love it. For free, I'm not complaining. There's another VST called "Asynth" that is modeled after the Prodigy. It sounds incredibly badass, and the filter can be switched between "Moog", "Xpander" and "MS-20" emulation.

Among the other freeware stuff I've found these deserve honorable mention as well:

Both free, both very cool. A good way to keep yourself busy until you save up for a Voyager.

n8