Thinking of selling my Sonic Six... talk me out of it !

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
fyvewytches

Thinking of selling my Sonic Six... talk me out of it !

Post by fyvewytches » Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:13 am

So yeah, I'm thinking of selling my Sonic Six. Not using it enough, it's big and heavy, takes up a lot of space when open, but I do like it when I use it, twin modulators are really cool, the RM sounds very sweet.

If it goes, it would probably give way to a Korg Odyssey.

What reasons would you give me not to sell it ?

Cheers !
Latest track, Dancing On The Ecliptic http://soundcloud.com/ianman/dancing-on ... iptic-demo

DonutDude

Re: Thinking of selling my Sonic Six... talk me out of it !

Post by DonutDude » Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:31 am

If you sell the Sonic Six that would mean you'd have the money to get a Korg Odyssey. That's why you shouldn't sell it.

Sorry for the personal outburst there. I'm still upset Korg made the Odyssey with less than full-size keys. :x :cry:

noddyspuncture

Post by noddyspuncture » Sun Mar 15, 2015 12:46 pm

fyvewytches wrote:So yeah, I'm thinking of selling my Sonic Six. Not using it enough, it's big and heavy, takes up a lot of space when open, but I do like it when I use it, twin modulators are really cool, the RM sounds very sweet.

If it goes, it would probably give way to a Korg Odyssey.

What reasons would you give me not to sell it ?

Cheers !

Because you can sequence it....? :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWs5gRtylTQ

Cheers,
Tom

Just Me

Post by Just Me » Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:35 pm

Most folks I know that had a six and sold it have regreted it later. I did not. I used it to learn synthesis but the sound, however cool, was never part of "my" soundset. (And I sold it and bought a 2600. Didn't need to look back)
You could buy a REAL oddy with the money from a Sonic Six.
"Music expresses that which can not be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Sun Mar 15, 2015 4:54 pm

fyvewytches wrote:What reasons would you give me not to sell it ?
None, if it's to get something else that seems more interesting to you.
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

museslave

Post by museslave » Sun Mar 15, 2015 6:29 pm

If it is functional, do not sell it!

What version is it? Light grey or dark grey?

It's a particularly interesting piece in regard to history and functionality. Worth holding on to if it's functional!
www.youtube.com/user/automaticgainsay
www.myspace.com/automaticgainsay2
www.myspace.com/godfreyscordialmusic

Mr Arkadin

Post by Mr Arkadin » Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:02 pm

Keep it and wait for the second-hand Korg Odysseys to appear on the market. I feel there'll be quite a few people selling them on so prices should be low.
http://soundcloud.com/luke-antony

fyvewytches

Post by fyvewytches » Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:09 am

Thanks all for your replies.

Actually, I don't mind the small keys on the new Odysseys, I'm not much of a keyboard player anyway. But as I'm yet to hear one for real no decision has been made on that yet. I don't think selling the Sonic Six would even come close to the cost of a "real" Ody" let alone a 2600 :(

Tom, yep, I can sequence it, as it has been modified. The pitch input has been modified so I can use an insert cable with a CV for pitch and a trig. Your studio seems like a fun place to spend a day or two :D

It's fully functional. Well I think so, I've never tried the accessory port as I don't have any. I don't have anything to compare it to but I would say that the case is darker rather than lighter. It has a Moog sticker, not the embossed "Moog" I've seen some pictures of.

About the second hand thing. Well, yes I could do that but the question here is not really about the monetary value of the instrument or any potential replacement. It's about amount of usage and space taken up in a relatively small room.

In reality I have the same feeling as Just Me, it sound great, it looks great but the Sonic Six is just not my go to first instrument.
Latest track, Dancing On The Ecliptic http://soundcloud.com/ianman/dancing-on ... iptic-demo

eric coleridge

Post by eric coleridge » Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:50 pm

I had a Sonic Six once; same story, it wasn't really the most practical synth to use for playing tonal music (mine was a little detuned also I think). But it does have a few tricks that are pretty unique (that dual LFO is awesome), and a real unusual, very raw electronic sound. I very much regret selling it.

Everybody knows vintage synth prices are ridiculous now, especially for anything on the rare side. Prices rarely reflect the functionality of any particular instrument, they mostly reflect on how collectable it is. And the Sonic is an especially collectable instrument-- it's a vintage rarity, and it's a Moog, plus it's just about the coolest looking of all synths. So, you're never gonna get one for $600 anymore (thats what I paid just 7 or 8 years ago). No ones ever gonna re-issue the Sonic Six, it's a freak show of a synth, and very weirdly designed. So, you have something very special-- it's not the best synth ever made, it has a lot of limitations, but its unique and different.

The Arp Odyssey is one of my favorite synths, but you'll be able to get them second hand for 6, 7 hundred in no time.

Rob Smith

Post by Rob Smith » Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:57 am

My friend Charlie Labs made this Video with his Sonic five before he sold it .....https://youtu.be/ZEAt7eO_h4s It was very cool and different. Its basically a Sonic VI in a wood cabinet. I believe it's in someones collection in New England now .....I would not sell a Sonic VI for a new Korg Odyssey.......https://youtu.be/iPDMXJjuGnE

fyvewytches

Post by fyvewytches » Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:21 pm

Thanks for all your replies... I played around with it again yesterday evening and have decided to keep it for the time being. As I have said before it's not a question of value or investment, my instruments are here for making music, that's it. Yep, it's a strange beast, there is a lot to like and a lot that's not so good, but right now the sound I can get out of it means it stays 8)

megavoice

Post by megavoice » Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:23 pm

I`m standing also very close to keeping all vintages as long as possible, exspecially if they`re in very good condition regardless of their capabilities.
They`re too young to get extremely expensive nowadays.
See: Original `59 Les Pauls leaving the stores for up to 250 ks, or.....think it was last year, a `61 old Ferrari went off for 29 Millions in the L.A. area..........
"Losers always whine about their best. Winners go home and fu** the prom queen." —Sean Connery to Nicholas Cage in "The Rock" (1996)
I've never seen any real prom queen here in my country, but if we had some they'd
**** with everyone.