My First experience with Moog and Moog Philosophy 101

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
EricK

My First experience with Moog and Moog Philosophy 101

Post by EricK » Sun Feb 05, 2006 1:15 pm

WHen i was a child my father used to crank out wierd sounds on the Micromoog tht was given to him for free in practically mint condition.

Probably around 1998 i got it from its upstairs storage space and plugged it into my bass amp. I had no idea how to use it then and as we moog users know, its easy to lose all sound altogether if 1 pot isn't set right.

My friend and i got some of the lowest bass notes out of it, enhanced by the bass amp. At the lowest volumes the bass would rattle the windows, the walls and my eyeballs. Playing it at even the lowest volumes shook just as hard as at a higher volume. Instant headache via the low pass filter.

It was at this time that I realized that with enough power, one could conquor the world with a moog, crumbling mountians and buckeling people with the sonic shock produced by its circuitry. It wasn't trumpet players that brought down the walls of Jericho, it was the Moog.

(We refer to all units as 1 entity known as the Moog.)

My friend and I made a funk concept album based on this concept.

In the late 1960's visitors from another planet came to earth and met with a man we will refer to only as Bob. They bestowed upon him a title such as Chancellor or Lord, and as a gift gave to him a device designed specifically for the domination and destruction of worlds.
Bob, sensing the danger of this weapon, harnessed and transformed this alien technology into an instrument of harmonious peace and thus spread joy throughout the planet.

If you have watched the Moog DVD, the scene where he and the other guy are playing with the voyager hooked up to the other modular equipment, you may remember Dr Moog saying "We all know thats what aliens sound like"

WHen i heard this I about flipped in my seat.

In memory of Dr Moog,
Eric
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

Rogue

Post by Rogue » Sun Feb 05, 2006 2:52 pm

That's pretty damn cool 8) So you guys made an album, or have 'just' recorded it...?

EricK

Post by EricK » Sun Feb 05, 2006 5:13 pm

Its about a year old. I emailed moog music through the info email and talked to a guy and he said "Mail your album to me at this address and i will make sure that he gets it.
Unfortunately somehow the email got lost and as we struggled for cover art I had no idea that he had been diagnosed with a terminal disease.

It's just basically a concept album thats dedicated to him featuring the moog on every track. Id love for permission to send it to his family as my personal tribute to his invention and to show my appreciateion for the inspiration that he has given myself and so many more people in the world.
Eric
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

theglyph

Re: My First experience with Moog and Moog Philosophy 101

Post by theglyph » Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:01 pm

EricK wrote:In the late 1960's visitors from another planet came to earth and met with a man we will refer to only as Bob. They bestowed upon him a title such as Chancellor or Lord, and as a gift gave to him a device designed specifically for the domination and destruction of worlds.
Bob, sensing the danger of this weapon, harnessed and transformed this alien technology into an instrument of harmonious peace and thus spread joy throughout the planet.
Sounds like Moogintology!!

Moog 4:20 (From the Book of Voyager)

1) Play ye Mini loudly and let thy fellow souls hear its lovely sounds for this shall spread harmony (and harmonics) across the land.

rachel

Post by rachel » Fri Apr 07, 2006 5:26 am

Fnord

rachel