New product @ Musik Messe!!!

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
sizzlemeister

Post by sizzlemeister » Thu Mar 16, 2006 11:28 pm

coldnews wrote:
woah, someone is proficient at CAD. hats off to ya meladdo!

I hope it hasn't got that awful blue colour scheme though!
Haha, thanks! That's just a super quick Photoshop job, though. No CAD for me.

Like y'all, I'm eager to see what the folks at Moog have on tap for us. Hope I can afford one!

Rogue

Post by Rogue » Fri Mar 17, 2006 12:40 am

armalyte wrote:www.rlmusic.co.uk

have a look for yourself. Bob spends a good few minutes askign about the taurus concept and his eyes widened in surprise or shock when he finds out how much they go for now!

:)
In that same interview, he does mention "a simpler, low cost basic monophonic instrument, with basic features" as somthing they've considered. This interview is from 2004 though...
[url=http://www.myspace.com/spceco][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v375/garbageboxlove/motion/star_pulse-1.gif[/img] [b]Shine on down...[/b][/url]

museslave

Post by museslave » Fri Mar 17, 2006 1:17 am

OysterRock wrote:There has yet to be designed a pitch-to-CV converter that works well for an complicated signal such as a guitar. While pitch-to-CV converters can work pretty well with simple periodic input signals (i.e. sine, square, etc), a guitar signal is just to complex and unpredictable to track very well. It's not a matter of "no one has designed one yet", but an matter of possibility. I hate to say it, but I don't think its possible by any current means!
Physics students correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't a string vibration just a sine wave?

And, as an example and response to pitch-to-CV, you should check out what Korg did with pitch-to-CV on the Korg MS-20. It isn't perfect, but I used mine to track human voice on many occasions... and recorded the results! I would think the human voice might be the most difficult pitch-generating instrument for a pitch-to-CV converter to try to follow, and it did remarkably well as long as the volume and pitch were relatively constant. It was somewhat put off by human-speech like glissando... but not at ALL put off by the things a guitar string would do. I even used it to track saxophone! It seemed to be a little less consistent with Sax than voice... but then again, saxophone players do things that... well, aren't easily trackable! Noises, etc. (I guess that's what it had problems with with voice... weird random pitch changes coupled with sibilance, etc)

Anyway... I've never heard of the perfect pitch-to-voltage tracker either... but the one included on the MS-20 worked well enough to be satisfactory for recording!
I had an ARP Avatar... I didn't have the pickup, but man that thing was so... fussy... I would have been very surprised if it tracked well.
www.youtube.com/user/automaticgainsay
www.myspace.com/automaticgainsay2
www.myspace.com/godfreyscordialmusic

OysterRock

Post by OysterRock » Fri Mar 17, 2006 1:44 am

museslave wrote: Physics students correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't a string vibration just a sine wave?
Its not that simple. When you play a string on a guitar the sound isn't a pure sine wave, it contains a lot of harmonics. If it were a pure sine wave your guitar would sound like an organ! If it only vibrated up and down it would be a sine wave, but it doesn't, it vibrates in a very complex way creating harmonics. Think of harmonics as a lot of sine waves at different frequncies with different amplitudes all added up. That is why guitars signals are so hard to track. Its hard to distingush the fundamental frequency from all the other harmonics (especially when playing chords) coupled with the fact that the guitar signal is not a periodic signal and is always changing because the player is playing fast.
museslave wrote:it did remarkably well as long as the volume and pitch were relatively constant
This is exactly my point. If you are singing a note into the P2CV converter at a constant pitch and amplitude, then you are effectively inputting a periodic signal (sine, square, triangle etc are periodic signals, guitar signals are not. Periodic signals are signals that repeat over a certain period) which is exactly what P2CV converters track well!

museslave

Post by museslave » Fri Mar 17, 2006 2:41 am

OysterRock wrote:Its not that simple. When you play a string on a guitar the sound isn't a pure sine wave, it contains a lot of harmonics.
Fair enough. A guitar string does not vibrate merely up and down, but also side to side, and also vibrates in a circular motion... all at different places along the string, depending on the pluck. I can dig it. Thank you for the clarification.
OysterRock wrote:If it were a pure sine wave your guitar would sound like an organ!
None of my electric pianos sound like organs, but I understand what you're getting at.
OysterRock wrote:That is why guitars signals are so hard to track. Its hard to distingush the fundamental frequency from all the other harmonics (especially when playing chords) coupled with the fact that the guitar signal is not a periodic signal and is always changing because the player is playing fast.
None of the analog pitch-to-voltage devices I'm aware of were capable of tracking chords.
The problem with guitar tracking was more about the fact that guitarists were unwilling to or incapable of playing in the way the pitch-to-voltage converter needed them to play. Expressive guitar playing does not lend itself to pitch-tracking.
OysterRock wrote:coupled with the fact that the guitar signal is not a periodic signal and is always changing because the player is playing fast.
If a non-periodic signal is impossible or even difficult to track, I would wonder a number of things... including, why so many companies invested time, money, and effort in creating guitar synthesizers, why it is that it is possible to play a decent guitar synthesizer with a guitar successfully (although with effort), and how it was that the Korg MS-20 was able to track a human voice which is completely non-periodic, possessing of a great deal of harmonics, and even less pitch-stable than a guitar.

OysterRock wrote:This is exactly my point. If you are singing a note into the P2CV converter at a constant pitch and amplitude, then you are effectively inputting a periodic signal (sine, square, triangle etc are periodic signals, guitar signals are not. Periodic signals are signals that repeat over a certain period) which is exactly what P2CV converters track well!
I don't think I made myself very clear, and I'm sorry about that! I didn't mean to suggest that when one sang ONE NOTE at a CONSTANT PITCH, the CV tracking would work... although it would be hilarious if I were asserting that as support for the notion that pitch-to-voltage converters were effective. ; )
Let me reword it: The times where the pitch-to-voltage converter struggled were times when the volume of the voice dropped too low, or when the pitch of the voice varied quickly over a range of random notes. In the case of the pitch issue, this is not something a guitar string would do, unless you were rapidly sliding your finger back and forth among a few frets, or jiggling a whammy bar. Likewise, with the volume issue... you would have to pick the string VERY gently for the drop out I'm talking about with the voice to occur.
Secondly, despite my degree in vocal education, I am unable to consistently produce periodic signals with my voice. ; ) The larynx, like the guitar string, is capable of producing a great deal of harmonics. The pitch tracking I'm talking about having occurred with the MS-20 was not a situation where an effort to produce pure or periodic waveforms was occurring. Not only that, but there were a variety of non-consecutive pitches and glissandos that occurred, and were tracked.
Thirdly, if pitch-to-voltage converters were only effective with periodic signals, they would only be effective with electronic instruments... as most acoustic instruments (perhaps excepting electric pianos) produce harmonic-rich and waveform-varied signals.
Now, I'm sure there are many guitar players who would say "That is absolutely correct!" But, again... I have to say (and there is plenty of recorded proof by famous artists, let alone infamous ones) that it is possible to get a GOOD pitch-to-voltage tracker to track your guitar playing... provided you played in a way that did not interfere with the tracking...(without fast runs, without sudden dynamic variation, without pitch vagueness) and this manner of playing was and is anathema to any expressive guitar player.
I think the main problem with analog guitar synthesizers was/is:
Why would a guitar player want to sound like a monophonic synthesizer? If you're going to be playing relatively slow melodies, why not just plunk it out on a synthesizer? This logic was apparently lost on David Friend. ; )

OysterRock

Post by OysterRock » Fri Mar 17, 2006 3:08 am

museslave wrote: The times where the pitch-to-voltage converter struggled were times when the volume of the voice dropped too low, or when the pitch of the voice varied quickly over a range of random notes. In the case of the pitch issue, this is not something a guitar string would do, unless you were rapidly sliding your finger back and forth among a few frets, or jiggling a whammy bar. Likewise, with the volume issue... you would have to pick the string VERY gently for the drop out I'm talking about with the voice to occur.
Maybe I can word it better, I'm not explaining myself very well. When I say a guitar signal is non-periodic I mean that it is always changing. Yes, the individual notes (as with any pitch producing instrument; acoustic, electronic or whatever) are periodic, frequency itself is defined by its period. When you hold a note, it will track. But since you PLAY a guitar (or any instrument) by changing the notes, amplitude and whatnot, just holding a note is not suitable for most players. In theory it should work, but due to this silly old physical world of ours, it never will.
museslave wrote:
if pitch-to-voltage converters were only effective with periodic signals, they would only be effective with electronic instruments... as most acoustic instruments (perhaps excepting electric pianos) produce harmonic-rich and waveform-varied signals.
All pitch producing devices create periodic signals. Pitch is how the human ear perceives frequency and again, frequency is defined by its period. A signal can still be periodic AND harmonically rich. A P2CV converter works by locking on to a frequncy and producing a control voltage that corresponds to it. Therefore, P2CV conversion works ONLY for periodic signals because of the fact that frequency is a RESULT of periodicity.
museslave wrote:
I think the main problem with analog guitar synthesizers was/is:
Why would a guitar player want to sound like a monophonic synthesizer? If you're going to be playing relatively slow melodies, why not just plunk it out on a synthesizer?
Exactly. This goes back to what I originally was saying. Yes, you can play slow melodies (holding notes, slow synth lines), but that certainly shows that P2CV converters do not work WELL for guitar. There will never be a P2CV conveter that will allow a user to play as they naturally would. You will always have to seriously modify your playing.

theglyph

Post by theglyph » Fri Mar 17, 2006 3:47 am

OysterRock was on the money when he stated 'It's not a matter of "no one has designed one yet', but a matter of possibility."

The signal from all six strings is the issue. That's a very complex set of signals coming off of the pickup(s) which computer algorithms have yet to understand!

At best (in school) I was directed to Alan Turing's views on Algorithms and heuristics!! This relates to the idea of artificial intelligence! Our brains can separate those analog frequency components (or at least some of us) and feel the sound. Can a computer trick our brain into feeling that a digital sound really is analog? That's the debate for VA's. It's tricky and controversial!!

Better yet, can we teach computers to understand/create true analog sounds. It's a matter of digital continuity which is not technically possible in digital circuits. But who can hear the difference?

Oh well! Thats why i'm a tube fan, an analog synth fan and (oh goodness) a fan of analog tape recording (even though i record with my MAC for convenience :cry: )!

I can hear it!! :D
Last edited by theglyph on Fri Mar 17, 2006 4:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

OysterRock

Post by OysterRock » Fri Mar 17, 2006 3:58 am

theglyph wrote:This relates to the idea of artificial intelligence! Our brains can separate those analog frequency components (or at least some of us) and feel the sound....

Better yet, can we teach computers to understand/create true analog sounds? NO (It's a matter on continuity)!
That is a GREAT point. Our ears hear the sound of a guitar playing and our brains distinguish the funamental frequencies as pitches. Even when there are lots of notes playing at once, our brains can figure it out: "Oh, that guitar is heavily distorted, but I can still tell that note is an A flat!" Even when the fundamental is missing, the brain can still figure out what note its "supposed" to be. Check this link out, its one of my profs:

http://www.ee.calpoly.edu/~jbreiten/audio/missfund/

An analog circuit or a computer doesn't perceive the signal the same way. It sees a whole bunch of sine waves at various frequencies and amplitudes.

theglyph

Post by theglyph » Fri Mar 17, 2006 4:10 am

Damn OysterRock you beat me to an edit you West Coast brother! I'm stayin up too late in the East :o .

It's Fourier vs. FFT's.

BTW, LOL you EE GEEK :) !

OysterRock

Post by OysterRock » Fri Mar 17, 2006 4:13 am

theglyph wrote: BTW, LOL you EE GEEK :) !
Hey, I've accepted and embraced my nerdiness. Have YOU? :wink:

Seriously, its like 3AM over there! You should get to bed!

writeroxie

Post by writeroxie » Fri Mar 17, 2006 6:26 am

coldnews wrote:
AWFUL???? Oh hellllll no!
I think the new Moog synth should have some cool colored panel like the sonic six or source. I wanna feel like I'm working at NASA when I play it.

Rogue

Post by Rogue » Fri Mar 17, 2006 8:34 am

writeroxie wrote:
coldnews wrote:
AWFUL???? Oh hellllll no!
I think the new Moog synth should have some cool colored panel like the sonic six or source. I wanna feel like I'm working at NASA when I play it.
Maybe part of what makes the new synth "hip" is a swappable faceplate. Like cell phones and such have... :idea: :wink:
[url=http://www.myspace.com/spceco][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v375/garbageboxlove/motion/star_pulse-1.gif[/img] [b]Shine on down...[/b][/url]

industrial_gypsy

Post by industrial_gypsy » Fri Mar 17, 2006 10:10 am

OK, enough speculating, I've just received an email from Mike Adams confirming the new product is a Polo shirt with a Moog logo on!

His very words...

"BTW… the shirt is on the way to me today. Assuming it makes it prior to the trip (which I leave on tomorrow), I’ll have it with me and you can see if first hand.

Take care and hope to see you in Manchester"

Personally I'm delighted, I look a right mess in a hoodie!

museslave

Post by museslave » Fri Mar 17, 2006 10:53 am

Exactly. This goes back to what I originally was saying. Yes, you can play slow melodies (holding notes, slow synth lines), but that certainly shows that P2CV converters do not work WELL for guitar. There will never be a P2CV conveter that will allow a user to play as they naturally would. You will always have to seriously modify your playing.
While there is a bounty of evidence proving that pitch-to-voltage devices can track guitar, I think we agree on this notion.
If by "cannot track guitar" you mean "cannot track guitar when a guitar is played like a guitar," I have to completely agree with you! : )

JSRockit

Post by JSRockit » Fri Mar 17, 2006 11:03 am

This thread has went to bleep.