New product @ Musik Messe!!!

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
thewaag

Post by thewaag » Tue Feb 07, 2006 4:35 pm

OK, let's look at this logically.....

There is too much speculation and hype around for this new product to be a fooger.

Sure, it could be a totally new product (such as a vocorder, sequencer, or drum machine) but does Moog want to stick a bunch of money and research into something like that and HOPE that it sells?

While it could be an entirely new product, it makes the most sense for Moog to produce something that people have been calling for, such as:

Taurus type of product
Memorymoog type of product
Prodigy type of product

While Taurus pedals have been going through the roof on ebay, why do we need a new model built today? Why not use a Voyager and a MIDI foot contoller? This does not seem like a likely product as there is just not enough call for it IMHO.

There is LOTS of interest in a Memorymoog type of product. Something like this would be great, but what would it cost? People already complain about the high cost of the Voyager. What would a new MM cost? $5000? $6000? More? Too much money that not enough people could afford.

Prodigy. These have continued to be popular, and their prices on ebay have skyrocketed over the past year. How many people on this forum have said that they would buy a less expensive Moog? Tons!! Well, now it is probably time to put your money where your mouth is, as a simpler, less expensive Moog makes the most sense based on demand. There is not a lot of development necessary as you can scavange many of the parts from the Voyager. You know that you will sell a ton of these if they are available for $1500 or so. I saw a film clip of Dr. Moog showing off the Voyager prototype at a show and the initial projected cost was under $2000. OOPS!! Guess that we went over that by a bit, but I would think that a new, less complicated synth could be made available for that $1500 mark, particularly now that R&D costs on the Voyager have probably been paid off over the past few years.

Do you think it is a coincidence that Moog waited until AFTER NAMM to announce the new product? This gave them the opportunity to thoroughly check out the DSI MEK.

With all that being said, my money is on a smaller version of the Voyager.

Still don't know what all that talk was about the flashing light to dollar ratio, however........

See, isn't all this speculation fun???
Thanks Bob!!

monads

Post by monads » Tue Feb 07, 2006 5:32 pm

thewaag wrote:Do you think it is a coincidence that Moog waited until AFTER NAMM to announce the new product? This gave them the opportunity to thoroughly check out the DSI MEK.
Yea, but for them to check out the DSI mek and makes changes to this new instrument tells me design wasn't that far along. If so, let's see if they can compete with the price range to feature of the mek. Don't think so :wink: But I'm a cynic in this case. We'll see....

martin

Post by martin » Tue Feb 07, 2006 6:05 pm

who knows, maybe it's a moog workstation. 16 oscillators and 16 of everything else, 32 track sequencer, 2000 savable sound patches, stereo sampling/preset/user definable drumbox, 16 multifooger fx, 200 gig harddisk recording, 8 x usb for midi and audio transfer and a huge 32 inch kicka@@ color touchscreen with visual potmapping and flexible routing. multiple superfast cd mastering in the box (16 simultaneous cds in 1 minute), 8 PC card slots, all sorts of patching and cv ins & outs, dj slots & crossfaders for 4 ipods, and 4 external stereo ins, sampling, multisampling, resampling, upgrade kits for fm synthesis, physical modelling, 16 track audio multitracking with pingpong, plus automated faders. 8 independent arpeggiators, fully syncalbe and customizable, 8 infrared theremin beam devices, stereo mutliband hypervocoding and import of mmv patches. free mac & pc editor to go with it.
all encased in mahogany wood and marble & platinum knobbery.

:evil:

the evilmoog comes in three custom sizes:(mortgagemoog with 88 full piano action weighted keys/pawnshopmoog with 77 semiweighted keys/hobomoog with 61 lightweighted keys)

thewaag

Post by thewaag » Tue Feb 07, 2006 7:05 pm

monads wrote:Yea, but for them to check out the DSI mek and makes changes to this new instrument tells me design wasn't that far along. If so, let's see if they can compete with the price range to feature of the mek. Don't think so :wink: But I'm a cynic in this case. We'll see....
While I admit that I don't know anything about the musical instrument biz, I am in manufacturing. As you say, now is kind of late to start making changes to a design if it is to be released in a month, BUT it would be very helpful to check out the price of the MEK and compare dollars to features. No sense charging too little for the new Moog synth if they can get more. Checking out the MEK lets you know if your pricing is in the ballpark, or if you are leaving money on the table.
Thanks Bob!!

jester69

Post by jester69 » Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:25 am

My vote is for a memorymoog that stays in tune and doesn't break down....

monads

Post by monads » Wed Feb 08, 2006 1:29 am

Well whatever it is I'm sure the majority of you will be having fun :wink: me too with my voyager.

godzilla

Post by godzilla » Wed Feb 08, 2006 1:37 am

thewaag wrote:
godzilla wrote:if it only has one ADSR it should have an AR as well.
Why do you say this? I always wondered why my old ARP Odyssey had an AR instead of another ADSR...
having only one ADSR would reduce the cost of a synth

and an AR would be cheaper than a second ADSR

i would like to have two ADSRs but would also like a "cheaper" moog

so if, to reduce cost, it does only have one ADSR, they should throw in an AR as well

martin

Post by martin » Wed Feb 08, 2006 7:26 am

it sholuld be something like this

http://moogarchives.com/mini70.htm

godzilla

Post by godzilla » Wed Feb 08, 2006 7:39 am

martin wrote:it sholuld be something like this

i'll second that!!

but i would like to see pitch/mod wheels

MC

Post by MC » Wed Feb 08, 2006 11:36 am

martin wrote:it sholuld be something like this
Heh... the model B Minimoog prototype. Good sounding machine (I played it) but Bob said the case/lid would have been a b*tch to build in production.

Dave Kean of Audities has all four model A, B, C, D prototypes and I helped him set them up for display at the winter NAMM 2000 show - the same show where Bob brought his "Performance Synth" prototype, later to evolve into the Voyager. All the model A, B, C, and D prototypes were running and making noise, show attendees could play them.

The model B was my favorite, it sounded the best. Two were built: Sun Ra had one of them and it appears in a photo in a 1979 Keyboard mag interview. That one was lost in a fire. Bob kept the other one before he donated it to Audities. They were built with circuit boards from the 900 series modules. They were still searching for expression controls (haven't stumbled on the wheels yet), so pitch bend was implemented using a slidepot in the middle of the front panel. It had a center detent but was awkward to use. But the filters sounded reeeeeeeeeally good and it was a fat sounding machine.

martin

Post by martin » Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:27 pm

wow.
would be nice if moog would concentrate on something so good sounding. the fancy os/touchsceen/techy geeky stuff can go. just a wooden case full of inspiring knobs n sounds.

perhaps a flatter layout would be cool.

the model b just looks so good. simple and unpretentious.

latigid on

Post by latigid on » Wed Feb 08, 2006 3:59 pm

You've proabably seen this:

Good stuff! Go the "B"!

martin

Post by martin » Wed Feb 08, 2006 5:49 pm

yeah, that's awesome!

although the a model would also be kind of cool. just a box for which you could order custom modules.

probably not possible considering all the competition...

but who knows what's in the pipeline. perhaps they're planning something completely different.

like, shoes.

OysterRock

Post by OysterRock » Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:12 pm

Sorry, but why would anyone manufacture a 40 year old prototype model that wasn't good enough to make it to production in the first place? That doesn't even begin to make sense...

Anyway, all this speculation is silly. Speculation leads to disappointment, you can't please everybody. Whatever it is, I'm sure it will be great! :wink:

martin

Post by martin » Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:17 pm

the idea is not to make a prototype model that doesn't work but to take the design and make innards that do work. if roland can make a funny looking thing like the sh 201 why cant moog make a hi quality 2 vco board without a screen that looks like the b?

oh heck whateva.

:P