New product @ Musik Messe!!!

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
theglyph

Post by theglyph » Mon Feb 27, 2006 1:22 am

The microkorg has wooden side panels! It's better than no wood at all.

OysterRock

Post by OysterRock » Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:28 pm

theglyph wrote:The microkorg has wooden side panels! It's better than no wood at all.
Even if its cheapo wood, you got to have SOME! Can you imagine the Micromoog without that awful pseudo-wood sticker stuff? Even THAT crap is better than no wood. :)

Rogue

Post by Rogue » Mon Feb 27, 2006 2:39 pm

theglyph wrote:The microkorg has wooden side panels! It's better than no wood at all.
I was thinking about the wood vs no wood for a new, possible "lower-end" Moog synth. They could just go the route of the MoogerFoogers and add the thin wood panels to the sides :)
[url=http://www.myspace.com/spceco][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v375/garbageboxlove/motion/star_pulse-1.gif[/img] [b]Shine on down...[/b][/url]

KarnEvil

Post by KarnEvil » Mon Feb 27, 2006 3:30 pm

In my mind, the coolest thing would be a MinimoogD markII. That is, a minimoog D alike model, but with stable oscillators, extra LFO and preferably osc sync and BP/HP. (I really enjoyed those new features on the Voyager.)
Remove the touchpad, the memory, the midi-controll features, the surplus in/out jacks, one modulation bus, the dual filter, the lcd-display and it's hidden menues/functions - and gives us a more barebone, "classic" minimoog - hopefully a more simple design would give a more modelD-like sound.. (more low end and hifreq sparkle)

All this should make it possible to produce a considerably cheaper analog synth than what Voyager costs. I don't know what Moogmusic has up their sleave, but this would be the ultimate thing in my mind anyway.. One can dream... :)

thebedroom

Post by thebedroom » Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:15 pm

Unless they build the whole thing out of discrete electronics it is never going to sound like a minimoog. But I think the voyager's sound kicks ass, so who am I to pee on a dream.

KarnEvil

Post by KarnEvil » Tue Feb 28, 2006 9:14 am

well my initial idea was a more inexpensive new moog monosynth, and to be frank I could well live without a lot of features in Voyager - namely the ones I listed. I think the Voyager sounds just fine (though I found it maybe a bit too mellow). Anyway, moogmusic should but back the accuarate res.tracking and filtertracking on the glide function in whatever they do IMO, these features are important!
If they did a minimoogD alike synth using the technology from Voyager, with a couple of additions from Voyager (like sync and BP/HP), then it should be consirably cheaper than the Voyager. The Vger prices here in Europe are terribly inflated, compared to what people pay in America. I payed almost 4300 dollars for mine a couple of years ago (the list price was about 4650 dollars).
I did sell my Voyager because I realized it didn't work practically for me then. It did take my a long while to sell it, and I fineally did it at a great loss. The store that bought it from me, still has it in inventory (they got it about 9 months ago). It was in absolute pristine condition. This leads me to wonder how many units Moogmusic sells these days. I guess they need a cheaper unit that can reach a bigger market. The Voyagers are really expensive here in Europe.

Of course, this is all moot since the new synth is already designed and ready to be unveiled, but in my mind this would be the best way to get more units sold. When people buys a moog (new or old), they want the basic moogsound. Giving us a more classic barebone modelD synth would be the way to go IMO.

MarkM

Post by MarkM » Tue Feb 28, 2006 11:32 am

What makes you think they designed a new synth?

I hope they are not coming up with a new synth. I would like to see Moog come up with something that would enhance the current product lineup. I don't want to see a less expensive and fewer features repeat product. If they do come up with a new synth, I hope it's innovative, different and priced appropriately. I don't want a further stripped down version of a Voyager. That already exists as the Rack Mount Edition.
Mark Mahoney
http://www.reverbnation.com/markmahoney
www.cdbaby.com/cd/mmahoneympeck
www.cdbaby.com/cd/markmahoney

martin

Post by martin » Tue Feb 28, 2006 11:53 am

Some non-new-synth suggestions:

- Voyager-compatible Headphones
- A serious amp
- A standalone duophonic sequencer/dual arpeggiator box with an integrated mini synth (that could be used as a sequencer and a drum box)
- An easily playable (quantised) Handheld Mini theremin with a separate drone (Theremini)
- A duophonic/bifunctional ribbon controller box
- A looperfooger. Something you can create loops with, including murflike sequences and arpeggios, wit a small beatbox consisting of three basic sounds.

KarnEvil

Post by KarnEvil » Tue Feb 28, 2006 2:35 pm

Uh, ok... I though I read that it was a new keyboard moog was coming out with at musikmesse... Oh well.. It was a nice idea at least.. :)
I still disagree with a new synth from moogmusic being a bad idea. Sounds more like a typical argument from someone who has shelled out of thousands of dollars on their voyager, and wouldn't like to know that there was a new moog toy out that they didn't have. I think a more simple and hands on version of the voyager would be great, especially for the able keyboardist using it as a lead instrument.

thewaag

Post by thewaag » Tue Feb 28, 2006 3:10 pm

At this point it is all speculation.

If you read the entire thread there are guesses that the new product is a Taurus, a moogerfooger, a sequencer, and even a drum machine.

The speculation on this thread has been fun; look at the number of posts...

I think that the new product being a keyboard makes the most sense, since there would be less development, and a cheaper unit appears to be desired, based on the posts here.

We will soon find out.....
Thanks Bob!!

martin

Post by martin » Tue Feb 28, 2006 4:07 pm

who knows, maybe they're making a cellphone ringtone generator.

MarkM

Post by MarkM » Tue Feb 28, 2006 8:46 pm

KarnEvil wrote:Uh, ok... I though I read that it was a new keyboard moog was coming out with at musikmesse... Oh well.. It was a nice idea at least.. :)
I still disagree with a new synth from moogmusic being a bad idea. Sounds more like a typical argument from someone who has shelled out of thousands of dollars on their voyager, and wouldn't like to know that there was a new moog toy out that they didn't have. I think a more simple and hands on version of the voyager would be great, especially for the able keyboardist using it as a lead instrument.
I take offense of your statement. You don't know me. Perhaps you might think that way if you "shelled out" thousands of dollars, but not me. Using your subjective and empty logic, one could surmise that your argument for a stripped down synth is that you are a too-cheap-wannebee. But then again, I don't know you, and it wouldn't be right to call you that.

I'm more interested in Moog offering tools to enhance their current product line. I want to see something different and innovative. Something that will push the Moog envelope. If it's a new keyboard, then I hope it does things the Voyager can't. Perhaps a poly board with innovative features. If you are looking for an inexpensive mono board, then look at the new Evolver.
Mark Mahoney
http://www.reverbnation.com/markmahoney
www.cdbaby.com/cd/mmahoneympeck
www.cdbaby.com/cd/markmahoney

thewaag

Post by thewaag » Tue Feb 28, 2006 9:10 pm

MarkM wrote:If you are looking for an inexpensive mono board, then look at the new Evolver.
Yes but why settle for the DSI sound (which ain't bad at all) when you can have "THE MOOG SOUND"? :D

I guess that I am one of those Moog elitists that love everything Moog. Sorry!
Thanks Bob!!

KarnEvil

Post by KarnEvil » Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:21 pm

I take offense of your statement. You don't know me. Perhaps you might think that way if you "shelled out" thousands of dollars, but not me. Using your subjective and empty logic, one could surmise that your argument for a stripped down synth is that you are a too-cheap-wannebee. But then again, I don't know you, and it wouldn't be right to call you that.
[/quote]

Jeez, you need to cut down on your intake of coffee...or something.
There's absolutely nothing wrong with a more affordable monophonic model from moog, since the voyager has a lot of features that could be ditched and still have a great working/sounding unit. More choices would be great! A monophonic analog synth is what it is. If you want something "new" buy a neuron synth or something.
You're not gonna see a polyphonic voyager anyway, that's going to cost way too much to produce. Anyway, I'm done with arguing about an imaginary synth model. :) The musicmesse isn't far away now, so we'll see what moogmusic has up their sleave soon enough.

Boeing 737-400

Post by Boeing 737-400 » Wed Mar 01, 2006 1:58 am

I must admit I don't like going through the Voyager's menu to access certain features. The only new additions I've found useful in the software updates are the keys for entering patch names, and the transpose function.

It confuses me going through menus. Surely I'm not the only one?