New product @ Musik Messe!!!

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
Jyoti

Post by Jyoti » Thu Feb 16, 2006 12:28 pm

martin wrote:what is cool about it though is the fact that you can play it with your nose.
:lol:

Now *that* should be in a Voyager top-tips list...

nicholas d. kent

Post by nicholas d. kent » Fri Feb 17, 2006 8:11 pm

For what it's worth, anything with normal keys is going to have MIDI. In practical terms it would cost more to have a proper keyboard and not have MIDI because no manufacturer has made a CV keyboard mechanism in 2 decades and it's not something a little factory can just make themselves at any kind of competative price. You buy them from suppliers in Italy or China. What every analog keyboard has done since then is use a MIDI keyboard and a converter. I'm sure if you put in a huge order you could get some factory to make some but it wouldn't be any cheaper than buying one already in production

You might save some money by skipping the patch storage, there are a couple synths still made that way. I wouldn't be enthusiastic about it but it might lower the cost. I guess what's hidden in such a move is there would probably be no CPU so all modulation would be physically routed with no software helping out for modulation. Then again if you have the CPU, you can go the opposite direction and try to generate all the modulation voltages with software (like the LFOs and ADSRs)

godzilla

Post by godzilla » Sat Feb 18, 2006 1:17 am

so if "IT" is anything at all, then it will have a midi keyboard + will accept other midi keyboard/midiinstrument.

that's good

if it is laid out well enough then lack of memory wouldn't be so bad

theglyph

Post by theglyph » Sat Feb 18, 2006 4:06 am

I don't think people today would pay for a keyboard without memory or MIDI. It seems silly. The expensive part of an analog instrument is the analog electronics. Software instruments with far more features than the Voyager are available for a few hundred dollars (if not free or shareware)!

It's the analog portion we are paying for. Kind of like tubes!! :)

For what it's worth, I feel that a modern Prodigy/Rogue with memory and MIDI would be the best analog synthesizer Moog could release! You can get your cake and eat it too!

People say they want an affordable Moog! That means they want an analog synth with the Moog filter and with the basic digital features of a VA (i.e. memory and MIDI) at around $1000 street.

Yeah, Voyager owners know that it kicks some major sonic ASS, that is why we paid for it, especialy since we were lucky enough to afford it! :D

But we also know that the Prodigy/Rogue low cost synths can also blow the other low cost VAs (e.g. Alesis Ion) off the charts. But they are only an Ebay gem (if you are lucky).

If its a Fooger fine! If it's something we could have never thought of (I never would have expected the Piana Bar :!: ) fine. A poly? Probably not the best thing for a small boutique synth maker like Moog. Dido for a Taurus remake (although they did ask the question :?: ), drum machine, ect.

There are people who are jonesing for an affordable analog mono Moog (with an input :wink: ),and i've seen them in this and many other forums, who can keep the factory alive and kicking and still allow them to engineer and produce the boutique products the few of us can afford and dream to make music with like a modern memory/poly Moog!! :P

Sorry for the rant but since I started this brewhaa here I just thought i'd put my final 2cents in!

Hehe, how about a Moog analog/digital hybrid!!!!!! :shock:

endocrine

Post by endocrine » Sun Feb 19, 2006 7:22 pm

It seems like everybody is all about that filter. What about good digital oscillators and Moog filters? Like the Esonique ESQ1. Please don't hurt me.
"You can't touch me 'cause your hands are made of metal."
-Alabama Jihad

museslave

Post by museslave » Mon Feb 20, 2006 2:11 am

You know, I just don't think MIDI is that relevant anymore with the advent of digital recording... unless you need something to play your parts for you.
I mean, think about it... when MIDI first came out, we were very excited about controlling many synthesizers at once... but that was at a time where we needed many synthesizers at once for live situation... which now is not the case. We also wanted MIDI because it allowed us to make professional recordings without investing in expensive multitrack reel-to-reels... no longer relevant. MIDI was helpful back in the old days before computers had enough memory or hard disk space to effectively record sound... no longer the case. About the only thing MIDI is really good for these days is acquiring the trademark electronica quantized sound, or aiding in parts you can't physically play.
Yes, I know there is a wealth of control information that can occur with MIDI... but when you don't need 100 keyboards working together at once (because digital multitracking allows you to record them all), and when you don't need 18 keyboards on stage (because plenty of digital sounds fit in ONE keyboard these days), you have the freedom to program those control changes into the sound itself.
So, basically... why does a new Moog keyboard require MIDI? I'm going to guess because of those last two reasons I stated in the paragraph before last. : )
As much as I'd like to say it shouldn't have memory... I can't imagine a modern synth being made without memory... even though most of the synths I use don't have it. I'd be all for memory on everything I own if it usually didn't require a computer to do it.
www.youtube.com/user/automaticgainsay
www.myspace.com/automaticgainsay2
www.myspace.com/godfreyscordialmusic

martin

Post by martin » Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:06 am

I agree that MIDI is not really necessary for synthesizer music considering the advances of recording technology (and sampling). Although controllability is commonplace these days, I personally find the non-MIDI philosophy more inspiring. Of course, that's just my personal view and is based on my experience with playing lead sounds on a Rogue and lately also on a Voyager.
To add to the heresy, I would even say that patch memories are not necessary. One of the most fun things (for me) in synthesis is tweaking a sound until it's good to record. That requires time and a bit of luck and taste.
Many might say, "Time is Money" and argue for patch memory because they need *that* sound *right now* because they're in a studio or gigging. Again, my personal experience tells me that while gigging, I usually would just dial stuff in in a minute and see what happens.
Flower Power!

museslave

Post by museslave » Mon Feb 20, 2006 2:18 pm

The only time I have ever really craved patch memory was on stage. When you're in a powerpop band whose music is not your own, your bandmates and the audience tend to lose their patience while you try to read a hastily scrawled patch sheet for your Korg PS-3100, or even Korg MonoPoly... A Minimoog would be a BREEZE to stage-patch compared to those two, but still... it's an extra layer of stress I'd like to avoid.
How many people have ever had this argument:
"Could I get some keys in the monitor between songs?"
"Why?"
"Well, if I'm asking for it, don't you think that's reason enough?"
"That's not how I do things. You don't need keys in the monitor between songs."
"As a matter of fact, I do... I have to set up the patch between songs."
"Other bands don't need that."
"Other bands aren't using analog synths without presets."
"Well, you got your little sheet there, why do you need to hear it?"
"The sheet is a guideline, you have to fine-tune it with your ear. Plus, I have to TUNE."
"Other bands don't need to do that."
"Again, other bands aren't using analog."
"Maybe you should get better keys."
"These ARE better keys."
"If they were better, you wouldn't have to do all that knob twisting, and you wouldn't have to tune it."
"Maybe if you would stop arguing about just putting keys in the monitor between songs, you'd have more time to figure out how to prevent the feedback problem that seems to be so prevalent." [or, that's what I would WISH to say... we all know that would result in me being missing from the mix for the remainder of the set]

martin

Post by martin » Mon Feb 20, 2006 2:53 pm

I must confess I don't understand the dialog but then again I don't play in a powerpop band! Whenever I play on stage what I want is "hey, let's go, badaboom-tshsh! Bleep-bloop-bloing"...
Improvisation... If all else fails, grab the bongos and ride the magic bus.

quite a stressful band you have there...

:D

If patches are needed fast, don't play a board that uses a complex setup. If you are lucky enough to just be able to play hippie style, well... huzzah!

Or just tweak the knobs & sequencers until you're playing freeform. Yeah, baby.

writeroxie

Post by writeroxie » Mon Feb 20, 2006 3:38 pm

museslave wrote:The only time I have ever really craved patch memory was on stage. When you're in a powerpop band whose music is not your own, your bandmates and the audience tend to lose their patience while you try to read a hastily scrawled patch sheet for your Korg PS-3100, or even Korg MonoPoly... A Minimoog would be a BREEZE to stage-patch compared to those two, but still... it's an extra layer of stress I'd like to avoid.
How many people have ever had this argument:
"Could I get some keys in the monitor between songs?"
"Why?"
"Well, if I'm asking for it, don't you think that's reason enough?"
"That's not how I do things. You don't need keys in the monitor between songs."
"As a matter of fact, I do... I have to set up the patch between songs."
"Other bands don't need that."
"Other bands aren't using analog synths without presets."
"Well, you got your little sheet there, why do you need to hear it?"
"The sheet is a guideline, you have to fine-tune it with your ear. Plus, I have to TUNE."
"Other bands don't need to do that."
"Again, other bands aren't using analog."
"Maybe you should get better keys."
"These ARE better keys."
"If they were better, you wouldn't have to do all that knob twisting, and you wouldn't have to tune it."
"Maybe if you would stop arguing about just putting keys in the monitor between songs, you'd have more time to figure out how to prevent the feedback problem that seems to be so prevalent." [or, that's what I would WISH to say... we all know that would result in me being missing from the mix for the remainder of the set]
headphones?

museslave

Post by museslave » Mon Feb 20, 2006 5:53 pm

Oh, come onnnn... headphones??
Headphones will mess up my hair. ; )

martin

Post by martin » Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:56 pm

use the new-fangled headphones that go around the back of your head!

museslave

Post by museslave » Tue Feb 21, 2006 2:11 pm

Martin, if I do that... I don't get to complain about irritating sound techs!
: )

electrical_engineer_gEEk

Post by electrical_engineer_gEEk » Thu Feb 23, 2006 6:08 pm

So....who here works for moog that's going to sneak in at night and take some super secret photos of our new product?......

we shall keep your identity quiet.....i promise.....

Boeing 737-400

Post by Boeing 737-400 » Fri Feb 24, 2006 12:16 am

:lol:

The BMW workers here have to be searched for cameras and camera phones before being allowed to work.