New product @ Musik Messe!!!

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
ARP

Post by ARP » Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:02 pm

Possibly, but Arturia would surely be involved as well? It was touted that they would make a hardware version of the Moog Modular V sometime ago, as it's so processor intensive.

Arturia and Moog are already linked..Bob Moog gave them his blessing and his picture and endorsement on their website, and are key to the credibility of their Moog softsynths..,I don't have any access to the Area 51 at Moog Music,,my belief is based on observations and market analysis..polyphonic keyboards sell better than mono synths..Moog already has a mono, the Voyager..making an analog poly like the memorymoog today would be way too expensive...forget about a liberation type synth..too cheesey..it didn't do well in the 1980's when it first came out..would do even worse today..
Look at Creamwares Minimax and Prophet 5 boxes..Now take the Arturia Minimoog 5 engine, put it in a case similar to the Creamware synths with knobs/switches add on some keys..pitch-mod wheels..a bunch of cool LED'S
presets,an arpeggiator or small sequencer....a polyphonic Moog with patch Memory ...look at the prices on the creamware stuff..$899..
Moog can deliver this for well under 2k...I hope they do a stand alone sequencer..but i don't think this is gonna be another fooger or accessory..
I believe your gonna see a soft synth based new memorymoog...
Disclaimer- i have no affiliation with Moog Music or Arturia..these comments are based purely on speculation :wink:
"Although they heard the music..they didn't understand the tune"

latigid on

Post by latigid on » Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:34 pm

I reckon it's a MIDI -> PC interface.

Just a box with one knob (which chooses your MIDI channel).

Woohoo!

Seriously now...

tunedLow

Post by tunedLow » Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:54 pm

I'd be shocked if they put out a VA. I'd bet this is going to be a 2 osc synth, no patch memory, smaller set of keys, with a sequencer.

theglyph

Post by theglyph » Fri Mar 10, 2006 12:43 am

I can't believe this! :x :evil:

Moog Music will NOT release a softsynth, a VA or a hardware controller!!!!

And NOOO I don't know what the new product is but I think I know the SPIRIT of DR. MOOG and what he understood he represented to his fans.

Watch the Moog documentary and see how he slaps the Voyager's analog board and explains how people interact with "THAT" board. He knows how we feel those moving electrons. He's like the Analog Synth Fan Pope isn't he!! :)

I know that the PianoBar was a digital device but that was a left field release which I know I would enjoy if I had an acoustic piano (I just hope the new product isn't as left field).

If i'm wrong, we'll then i'm sorry.

FWIW, I think Cyril Lance and the rest of the Moog crew have been working on something that will give us Moog fans what we desire. A Great Moog product! :D

BTW, we should start a thread on what the next NEXT Moog release should be. Push the envelope (no pun intended :wink: )!

OysterRock

Post by OysterRock » Fri Mar 10, 2006 12:53 am

Amen brother!

theglyph

Post by theglyph » Fri Mar 10, 2006 1:51 am

OysterRock wrote:Amen brother!
lol! From one EE to another! :)

monads

Post by monads » Fri Mar 10, 2006 3:23 am

theglyph wrote:I can't believe this! :x :evil:

Moog Music will NOT release a softsynth, a VA or a hardware controller!!!!

And NOOO I don't know what the new product is but I think I know the SPIRIT of DR. MOOG and what he understood he represented to his fans.
The fact remains that one starts to wonder what was compromised to reach the MSRP of the soon to be announced device while still maintaining Dr. Moog's passion and vision. Interesting thoughts by ARP. Good the day is getting closer so all can find out, but even better for me since I'm not jumping in the water with this release :wink: Well, with the exception of OS 3.2 for the voya. Now that I want! :D

godzilla

Post by godzilla » Fri Mar 10, 2006 7:47 am

i don't think it will be VA or software based, moog pride themselves on their all analog audio path, unless the word "hip" is like a free pass to go digital

i had a thought:

maybe the one nob is like the one nob on the source?

that would fit the clue which is just one nob

it was said before that all the nobs are one of the big cost issues of a synth.

maybe we're getting a one nob RA with memory?

i'd probably prefer nobs to memory, but you could always get a midi controller that's just a bank of assignable nobs can't you? and then there's that jazzmutant lemur, imagine using that to control a moog synth!!!!!!!
if i am right (about the synth and being able to get some midi nobs for it) then i think that would be great, you get to choose your own nobs (or sliders!) depending on your own personal needs and funds.

natrixgli

Post by natrixgli » Fri Mar 10, 2006 1:07 pm

I doubt Moog would release a new synth with just one knob, but I can be sure of one thing: I bet the people at Moog Music who actually are in the know about this are enjoying some amusement at our speculations on this forum! (That is, if they have time to be reading forums!)

n8

martin

Post by martin » Fri Mar 10, 2006 1:55 pm

Who knows what they are thinking! Maybe they built a box with some knobs but have no idea what it does. So all they have to do is check by here ever day and gather the clues we give.

So then, at the Musikmesse, they can say, "badabing, badaboom - voila, ladies and gentlemen, the new Moog Knob! Wear it as an earring! Wear it as a clown nose! put em on your n*pples! stick em on your eyes! One knob, 1 million uses! The original Moog knob, now for sale for only $99.99! Call now for your free gift!"

The Unknown

Post by The Unknown » Fri Mar 10, 2006 2:07 pm

Interesting thoughts, but given the release date of March 29th I think we can safely assume it will be something with more substance. However, if they were releasing it on April 1st...
It is better to be loved or hated than to be regarded with indifference.
I might look a fool, I might act the fool, but take me for a fool and I'll make a fool of you.
If the past is ill, make the future better.

KarnEvil

Post by KarnEvil » Fri Mar 10, 2006 3:15 pm

I really hope they'll NOT do a VA synth with arturia code, because Minimoog V sounds rather uninspirering compared to the real thing. That would be a serious sonical comprimise IMO. On the other hand I wouldn't mind a Minimax keyboard (made like the real thing). A VA in a classy moog-keyboard casing is not a bad idea though, if it the programming was good enough (Creamware-quality).
When I run the minimax through a tube preamp (which IMO is an intergral part of the minimoog sound anyway) the difference is quite acceptable for me. - Especially considering one gets none of the hassles that a real analog brings.

Though, I hope we get a more "hands-on" minimoog, with a simpler and more streamlined design. For me, Moog is about that timeless, great analog sound. Let somebody else do the next-generation digital stuff. :)

Lengai

Post by Lengai » Fri Mar 10, 2006 3:21 pm

However, if they were releasing it on April 1st...
Remember when they did that last year with the fake MF?

I don't think they'll get us twice.

MisterModular

Post by MisterModular » Fri Mar 10, 2006 3:36 pm

I can't imagine it would be VA or digital. It looks kinda like Raymond Scott's Circle Machine. Instead of a crank you have a knob to twist. That would be cool. http://raymondscott.com/circle.html

I am probably dead wrong but I should at least get creative points.

electrical_engineer_gEEk

Post by electrical_engineer_gEEk » Fri Mar 10, 2006 5:49 pm

MisterModular wrote:I can't imagine it would be VA or digital. It looks kinda like Raymond Scott's Circle Machine. Instead of a crank you have a knob to twist. That would be cool. http://raymondscott.com/circle.html

I am probably dead wrong but I should at least get creative points.
holy crap...that thing is awesome...i've heard of Raymond but not that invention....I wanna remake that and use it to control my modular.....
awesome...thanks!