Which one?...

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
MemorY

Which one?...

Post by MemorY » Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:38 pm

Hey everyone.

First post in the forum. Yesterday I messed around with the Sub Phatty synth that was on display at a local Guitar Center... I fell in love. The sound. Oh my goodness! If I wasn't planning on getting married in the future, I'd spend all my savings on these products! I left that store wanting to learn more about Moog and these amazing instruments and wanted to figure out how I can utilize these items into my current, somewhat small, setup.

I currently use Ableton Live 9 and use a lot of the built in instruments included in that. I've been creating music for about 9 months now with it. Lately I've been wanting a hardware synth that allows me to modify the sound, pretty much anyway I want. I found what I wanted yesterday. Now, my question to you is, help. I'm really new to these products. I don't know what all of their capabilities are and need some guidance in the right direction. I've been saving up for a while now, and I'm trying to figure out which synth I should save up for.

Some of the products that have caught my eye are the Sub Phatty, Sub 37, Voyager, and the Voyager XL. If you have any ideas or suggestions to share, Pros and Cons of each, or if there are users who use Ableton with these let me know, etc.

Thank you for your time. I look forward to getting to know all of you!

MemorY
Ableton Live 9 - Ableton Push - Maschine 2.2 - DDJ-SX2

kamilof

Re: Which one?...

Post by kamilof » Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:03 am

MemorY wrote:Hey everyone.

Some of the products that have caught my eye are the Sub Phatty, Sub 37, Voyager, and the Voyager XL. If you have any ideas or suggestions to share, Pros and Cons of each, or if there are users who use Ableton with these let me know, etc.
Welcome to the forum. My suggestion is to go straight for a Voyager XL. It took me a Little Phatty, 3xSlim Phatties, a Voyager Performer, a Minitaur and Voyager Rack.... before getting a Voyager XL. Sold all the other gear on eBay. The Voyager Xl is semi-modular (fun with patch cables), solidly built, excellent 61 keys keyboard and produces the most amazing sounds. Best of luck!

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Mon Mar 02, 2015 2:02 pm

If onboard sequencing/arpeggiation or 2-note paraphony was crucial, I'd go with the Sub 37.

If breaking more rules and trying new things is crucial, I'd agree with kamilof that the Voyager XL offers tons of possibilities.

As an alternative though, consider a Voyager RME (Rack Mount Edition):
http://www.moogmusic.com/products/minim ... nt-edition

When you combine that with the VX-351 CV Output Expander:
http://www.moogmusic.com/products/minim ... og-voyager

A VX-352 CV Input Expander:
http://www.moogmusic.com/products/minim ... oyager-rme

And a CP-251 CV Control Processor:
http://www.moogmusic.com/products/mooge ... -processor

You'd have a crazy fun system to patch with the flexibility of being able to bring only the components you'd need for each situation.

And the (4) items combined would be $1,820 less than a Voyager XL, leaving plenty of money to buy your ideal MIDI controller, plus rackmounts or rack cases, and some Moogerfoogers as well. (All prices based on the day of this post):
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/manufac ... gh2low/all
_ :twisted: _DemonDan_ :twisted: _

ImNotDedYet

Post by ImNotDedYet » Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:33 pm

If you have the money for the Sub37 now without breaking the bank, take the Sub Phatty off your list. The Sub37 is a much better synth - very similar if not the same architecture, more knobs so less menu diving, more keys, arp and sequencer, etc. I think the only advantage of the Phatty is it has CV in?

37 vs. Voyage is a different story and Demon Dan knows his stuff. What he recommended is an incredible setup. But the sounds of the Voyager and Subs are a bit different. Make sure to listen to demos of both and pick the one with the sound that most inspires you. But keep in mind with that setup you'll have to actually play the notes on a separate controller. And if you do go that route, I'd highly recommend picking up an expression pedal or two as well to alter the CV capabilities of the 251.

c7sus

Post by c7sus » Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:33 am

I have an 05 Voyager Electric Blue and a Taurus 3 and they are both really inspiring instruments. I bought both new, but would also consider the used market if I were looking for either one today.

The Voyager is a very deep piece indeed. Pair it up with the VX-351, CP-251, and any number of the MoogerFoogers and the sonic possibilities are pretty much only limited by your imagination. I also have one each of the MF-101,102,103,104SD, 104MSD, 105M, 107, and 108M. The next step for me is looking into modular sequencing, likely with a couple oscillators, gates, and a filter thrown in for good measure.

My suggestion is elope and use the money from the wedding for a Moog synth and some MoogerFoogers!
Voyager EB #165, T3 #292, MF-101, 102, 103, 104SD, 2x104MSD, 105M, 107, 108M, MP-201, VX-351, CP-251, Frostwave Fat Controller.

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:19 am

ImNotDedYet wrote:The Sub 37 is a much better synth - very similar if not the same architecture, more knobs so less menu diving, more keys, arp and sequencer, etc. I think the only advantage of the Phatty is it has CV In?
??? I have have a Sub 37 and Sub Phatty side by side.

Their left side panel jack layouts look identical to me.

MoogProg

Post by MoogProg » Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:50 am

_DemonDan_ wrote:Their left side panel jack layouts look identical to me.
^But we're hearing news of increased functionality for the CV inputs on the Sub37, flexible routings to come in the next major firmware.

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:19 pm

MoogProg wrote:^But we're hearing news of increased functionality for the CV inputs on the Sub 37, flexible routings to come in the next major firmware.
Yes, the next Sub 37 version adds CV Mapping. But the above comment was about having or not having CV In (which both the Sub Phatty and Sub 37 have.)

ImNotDedYet

Post by ImNotDedYet » Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:27 pm

_DemonDan_ wrote:
ImNotDedYet wrote:The Sub 37 is a much better synth - very similar if not the same architecture, more knobs so less menu diving, more keys, arp and sequencer, etc. I think the only advantage of the Phatty is it has CV In?
??? I have have a Sub 37 and Sub Phatty side by side.

Their left side panel jack layouts look identical to me.
First off, I meant CV out. I mis-typed. My bad.

Hence the question mark - wasn't sure of this and was too lazy to look it up and was hoping someone could confirm or not, which you've now done. Thank you!

electronicpoison

Post by electronicpoison » Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:16 pm

I Understand by the First Reading ,that you mean the cv outs Of the Little phatty