re: Modular CV Keyboard

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
c7sus

re: Modular CV Keyboard

Post by c7sus » Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:51 pm

The new modular keyboard is listed as duophonic.

Is it possible to mod the keyboard to provide a split point so maybe the bottom two octaves could be split and sent to the pitch and gate outputs? having a mini-toggle switch to perform that function would be quite useful and would be a very cool option for controlling a Voyager/Phatty/CV-whatever and a T3 or Minitaur.
Voyager EB #165, T3 #292, MF-101, 102, 103, 104SD, 2x104MSD, 105M, 107, 108M, MP-201, VX-351, CP-251, Frostwave Fat Controller.

AlakaLazlo

Re: re: Modular CV Keyboard

Post by AlakaLazlo » Mon Feb 09, 2015 6:43 pm

Look at the synthesizers.com keyboard. A much better, more versatile and far less expensive option.
Moog IIP, One 16V and MiniMoog, DotCom/FSFX/Moon/STG 110, Cubase 12Pro, Ableton Live 10/64, RME UFX+, 2xMR816, MioXL, Expressionist, Cirklon, Analog Rytm Mk II, Axon AX50, Customized Variax JTV69s (the Hexstainocaster), Strat, Godin ACS Slim, Helix.

EMwhite

Re: re: Modular CV Keyboard

Post by EMwhite » Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:23 am

Though no details are posted, the [legacy] Moog keyboards are fixed at a specific key split point (36th key if memory recalls). The newer 952 had so-called "two note" capability. The circuit is quite simple and the notion of being able to swap it/split on the fly simply didn't exist in those days. Having said this, I've never seen one in person or played with one. Up until, well, two months from now, they've gone for a few thousand; Moog's selling the new one for < $900 will change that.

Synthesizers.com made two keyboards; the first was Midi and CV and had hard controls on the left hand side that allowed you to switch the split point based on octave. It had classic styling but there was some complaints about the quality. I never liked the fact that the 1/4" jacks stuck straight up from the flat panel, seemed cumbersome but I never owned one.

The current Synthesizer.com (two sizes) is much higher quality, in fact, I would say that it's about as good as you can get today. The Moog keyboard 952 and if COTK ever gets around to selling something again are likely to be better in some ways, but dotcom uses a Fatar keyed, wood, metal, a custom Midi controller, and bolt on 'box system' components. It has a great feel and is well built.

But it is NOT flexible from a playing performance point of view. In other words, the only way to make changes to the plethora of fancy functions (like having 4 splits, or changing the velocity curve or midi channel, etc) is to do so at power up, very similar to the old M-Audio Keystation which didn't have much else but a pair of onboard controls. You won't even find a pair of octave buttons on the dotcom.

Also no Midi-CV, it really is JUST Midi. So you need to pair it with one of Roger's Midi->CV interfaces or attach your own (in the 'box').

I modded mine by adding some wood to the back panel, lowering the pair of box 1's, removed the front facing dotcom logo which I found tacky, and am in the process of embedding a face-up slew control through I never went far enough to order the panel. I'll get to that sooner or later.

You'll find a few native CV out capable keyboards but they are rudimentary in what they provide (CV and Gate).

Ideally, I will guess you want either split or two voice or maybe four voices of CV outs with perhaps velocity, mod wheel, etc etc. Sad gap in the market without cobbling together your own solution with a soldering iron. If you really just want 2 voices, the combination of dotcom kbd (current gen) plus Roger's Midi->CV interfaces are pretty good (not perfect but pretty good) but will set you back about $1,500. Just to throw one other bit at you, my biggest gripe with the dotcom produce is that the keyboard (which is Midi only) and the LHC (which is CV only) do not play together. They are in the same chassis for sure and powered from same infrastructure but no way to have the CV controller produce Midi Pitch bend for instance, and no way for keyboard to produce Control Voltage without another module. If I'm not mistaken, I paid about $1,100 for my 5 octave keyboard with a traditional LHC (Mod wheel and Pitch bend).

I probably gave you too much detail and maybe not addressed your questions; I'm somewhat famous for doing that... :shock:
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!