ELP's "Toccata" against a click...

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
noddyspuncture

ELP's "Toccata" against a click...

Post by noddyspuncture » Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:10 pm

Here is a little video of me practicing ELP's "Toccata" against a click... (as you do...!)
I am using my home built 'Dual Trigger Delay' circuit to get the Modular patch doing it's thing... :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a674AqSfZzs

Cheerz,
Tom

EMwhite

Re: ELP's "Toccata" against a click...

Post by EMwhite » Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:21 pm

I don't know brutha... I'd like to say that that was a perfect interpretation of Keith playing live but I would know that because I'm not that familiar with that piece. But I love what you did there. Manic, and f'ing brilliant.

You should always have a clip of yourself zipping an airplane around in your childhood bedroom. But short of that two thumbs up!
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!

synthguy

Post by synthguy » Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:48 pm

Thanks for the cool link, Tom!
I've got a question....
How are you patching the delayed modulation for the modular trumpet line?
I had always assumed that maybe Emerson had some sort of pressure mod done to his keyboard, and was adding that pitch shift by pressing harder on the keys (not sure how I got this idea).
Watching you play this piece (very nicely, I might add) I get the impression that it happens by just holding down the key long enough. Are you using the dual trigger delay module to drive a set of EG's to bend the pitch???
Sounds pretty great!
Visit my synthblog...Moogs and more!
Www.synthguy.com

noddyspuncture

Post by noddyspuncture » Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:14 pm

Hi synthguy.
The patch goes like this...

Two reversible attenuators (CP-251) outputs go to two separate 901a control inputs.
A 'Y' lead (or multiple) feeds the output of an EG to both reversible attenuator inputs. EG settings critical.
This EG is triggered 'late' via the trigger delay. Delay time is critical.
Reversible attenuators are 'tuned' one low and one high - tuned intervals are critical.
I have two oscillators per 901a... Emo only had one per 901a I believe... so my patch could be fatter...? :)
Filter frequency set low with a lot of Regen. Keyboard CV patched to filter (via CP4 switch) and EG to filter control fed via attenuator. Adjusted for "that" sound.

Hope that help...?
Cheers,
Tom

synthguy wrote:Thanks for the cool link, Tom!
I've got a question....
How are you patching the delayed modulation for the modular trumpet line?
I had always assumed that maybe Emerson had some sort of pressure mod done to his keyboard, and was adding that pitch shift by pressing harder on the keys (not sure how I got this idea).
Watching you play this piece (very nicely, I might add) I get the impression that it happens by just holding down the key long enough. Are you using the dual trigger delay module to drive a set of EG's to bend the pitch???
Sounds pretty great!

synthguy

Post by synthguy » Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:15 pm

Yes it does!
Thanks for the info, and cheers. :D
Visit my synthblog...Moogs and more!
Www.synthguy.com