Ultimate Moog Source?

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
jester69

Ultimate Moog Source?

Post by jester69 » Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:27 pm

Hi all,

I just purchased a source, and read that the encore Midi kit you get 256 patches, but lose the sequencer and cassette interface. I have also heard that the kit causes the jog wheel to affect the sound negatively if used during performance. This stinks, so I don't want that, but I don't want to make do with 16 pathes either.

This got me to thinking. What would you want as the ultimate moog source. Assume that the buttons all have to stay the same, what is missing? What do you want more of?

Basically, if you say "if my source had X I would be much happier with it." let us all hear about X.

take care,

Jester

goldphinga

Post by goldphinga » Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:32 pm

Source has everything i think it should.Otherwise it would have cost too much to produce. Obviously it lacks osc 3 but it sounds amzing even on one osc anyway.
Moog Gear: Voyager AE,LP Stage 2+CV outs (Blue LED's/Wheels, MF104SD, MF101 Filter, MF103 Phaser, Source, Memorymoog+, Minitaur.

endocrine

Post by endocrine » Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:33 pm

full midi. patch memory. polyphony mode.
-Tyler2000-
"You can't touch me 'cause your hands are made of metal."
-Alabama Jihad

MC

Post by MC » Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:05 pm

If my Source had a beer bottle holder, knobs that go to 11, mp3 hard disk player, buttons for my garage door, built-in death laser ray for egotistical guitar players ("Stun" is for wimps), and would pack itself in the van at the end of the gig, I'd be happy.

Drew

Post by Drew » Tue Jan 31, 2006 6:56 am

MC wrote:If my Source had a beer bottle holder, knobs that go to 11, mp3 hard disk player, buttons for my garage door, built-in death laser ray for egotistical guitar players ("Stun" is for wimps), and would pack itself in the van at the end of the gig, I'd be happy.

^^^LMAOOOOOOOOOOOOOO :)

writeroxie

Post by writeroxie » Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:16 am

or a built-in calculator for the math-rockers.

jester69

Post by jester69 » Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:57 am

goldphinga wrote:Source has everything i think it should.Otherwise it would have cost too much to produce.
I am talking about what would you want added now, as far as digital fetures.

The Encore people were on the right track, but their retrofit isn't terribly well done if the synth acts wierd after it is in there, and you have to give up features.

I am going to build my own patch memory upgrade. While I am at it I could build in sequencer memory, sequencer program updates, arpeggiator program updates etc. So, what I am getting at, is if it is microprocessor controlled, I can probably enhance or change it. If it is in the analog half, I aint touchin it.

If everyone thinks they really are perfect as is, then I will just build what I want for myself and y'all can make do with what you have.

peas,

Jester

thewaag

Post by thewaag » Tue Jan 31, 2006 5:22 pm

The only thing that I really wish my Source could do is run the S&H and the sequencer in time with another MIDI instrument. I would use it TONS more if I could do that.

I suppose that Sequence memory would be good, so that you could change sequences on the fly during realtime performance.

Of course my main gripe is that you cannot see the settings of the controls without punching each button to activate the LED setting for each. Of course that is part of the "charm" of the instrument.....

I suppose that more patch storage would be good, but actually 16 is fine for me. I have hundreds of patch settings on my Andromeda and I find myself looking for different patches by hitting buttons, rather than building the sound myself. On the Source, the buttons get me in the range and then I tweak from there. If I bought a Voyager, I am not sure if I would want a version 3 model, or just buy a used version 2. How much patch storage do you need??
Thanks Bob!!