Moog to release modules this year

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
MC

Re: Moog to release modules this year

Post by MC » Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:37 am

scottingham wrote:I'm new around here though, is suggesting a Moog digital delay heresy?
Well they do make apps for the Apple palmtops. No analog in those.

Just don't start a thread to ask if Moog will ever make an analog p*lyph*n*c...
Gear list: '04 Saturn Ion, John Deere X300 tractor, ganged set of seven reel mowers for 3 acres of lawn, herd of sheep for backup lawn mowers, two tiger cats for mouse population control Oh you meant MUSIC gear Oops I hit the 255 character limi

jido-genshi

Post by jido-genshi » Mon Jan 05, 2015 2:33 am

scottingham wrote:
I'm new around here though, is suggesting a Moog digital delay heresy? In full disclosure, I have a mf104m and love it dearly.
MC wrote:
Well they do make apps for the Apple palmtops. No analog in those.

Just don't start a thread to ask if Moog will ever make an analog p*lyph*n*c...
The Moog Theremini is digital as well. You should see the rage that causes on the various Theremin forums. "The whole point of the Theremin, one of the oldest Electronic instruments, is it's analog-ness..." but I love the Theremini! And I also have an old Big Briar Etherwave!

latigid on

Post by latigid on » Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:20 am

scottingham wrote:A set of eurorack modules would be a great move for Moog right now. With the sub37 they have the keyed synths in the bag. That just needs to be fine tuned and improved for years to come. Eurorack modules could offer a lot with many parameters addressable via 1/16th inch jacks for modular synth madness!
What's a 1/16th jack? And please, for the love of Mike, don't say "1/8th inch" either. It's 3.5 millimetres which is not 0.125 inch.

If they want to re-release the Mini-D then they better hurry up about it. Someone in France has already routed the PCBs for a Mini in full 19"/84 HP 3U and/or individual modules. It seems like these will go out as PCBs at cost from the MW forum, looks to be down at the moment but you can check on the Music Tech DIY section later. Apparently both Korg and Behringer want to redo the ARP Odessy (didn't Moog own the trademark for that??!!) but there's also a DIY option in the TTSH.

I personally don't count the Emerson modular as "entering the market." That was a specific project from aficionados using completely obsolete parts, and the last I remember only five systems were offered.

Going to Eurorack would be a big step for Moog as it would alienate their 'Fooger userbase with the change to smaller sockets. But arguably this has the best growth potential as 3U systems are more affordable and easier to transport.

Converting 'Foogers to modular will not be as simple as re-panelling them. Apart from the physical PCB size they would have to engineer new power supply blocks that work with bipolar rails and ensure no noise leaks into the buss. The input and output levels are also not at typical modular strength, up to 10 V pp. Dotcom, Moon and COK have most of the "Moog-sounding" 1/4" market covered while Modcan offers both large and small format modular now.

What could Moog offer that isn't already available? I confess that I chuckle a bit when I hear others asking how to turn an MF-102 into a VCA, or complaining that there is no Moog envelope generator available. It's sure challenging and fun to make a mini-synth out of Foogers but it will probably be more satisfying in the end if one bites the bullet and starts a 3U/5U/MU case.

That's enough of a rant for now :).

CZ Rider

Post by CZ Rider » Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:05 am

latigid on wrote:What could Moog offer that isn't already available?
These?

I'm not aware of any one making drop in replacement Moog modules. Moog has all the R&D in reproducing those, much like the old Moog Custom Enginering Department did for years.
Moog currently has a "Modular" section on their web site. All that is missing is individual module and system sales. Probably not going to happen, but would be authentic Moog made modules.
1P Modular,Minimoog,VoyagerRME,CustomMinimoog,Prodigy,MG-1 TaurusII,Opus3,Rogue,Source,Liberation,Micromoog,1125S&H,
1130Perc.x2,1150Ribbonx2,Custom1150,1120Pedal,Songprod,CP-251,VX-351
VX-352,Etherwave,Synampx2,Lil'Phatty,Sonic Six

EricK

Post by EricK » Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:33 am

latigid on wrote: I confess that I chuckle a bit when I hear others asking how to turn an MF-102 into a VCA, or complaining that there is no Moog envelope generator available. It's sure challenging and fun to make a mini-synth out of Foogers but it will probably be more satisfying in the end if one bites the bullet and starts a 3U/5U/MU case.
You are right about taking the plunge. But If Moog had a VCA/Envgen module then people like myself wouldn't have had to look to other manufacturers for those functions. Once that modular infrastructure is had, then it is far too easy to keep heading down that road.

I ordered a Mos-Lab system 8a (with a few substitutions) and then they announced the Emerson modular. Now they are potentially looking at selling modules or smaller systems. If I only would have known ahead of time, I probably would have waited.
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:38 pm

Aren't Mos-Lab systems made up of clones of Moog modules ? If so, I don't see why paying probably more for the same thing from Moog, just for the Moog logo, would be beneficial ? IF they ever sell modules...?
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

EricK

Post by EricK » Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:50 pm

Exactly. Moog watched the module market grow up until this point. Hopefully it hasn't cost them a lot of customers who built up tremendous systems trying to get that Moog sound sans Moog.
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

MC

Post by MC » Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:09 pm

I will never buy any modular that uses 1/8" jacks. There is no such thing as a long life 1/8" jack. I would never trust them for pitch CV.
Gear list: '04 Saturn Ion, John Deere X300 tractor, ganged set of seven reel mowers for 3 acres of lawn, herd of sheep for backup lawn mowers, two tiger cats for mouse population control Oh you meant MUSIC gear Oops I hit the 255 character limi

latigid on

Post by latigid on » Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:20 pm

MC wrote:I will never buy any modular that uses 1/8" jacks. There is no such thing as a long life 1/8" jack. I would never trust them for pitch CV.
No such thing as an 1/8th" jack Mike ;)

I know this is a Moog forum, but tickle me converted. I have 2x126 HP Eurorack almost full with plans for a second case now. The main appeal for me is the wide availability and low cost of DIY modules, with plenty of offerings from all over. My cases are DIY too.

Vsyevolod

Post by Vsyevolod » Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:39 am

It is a very personal thing, though I'm with MC on this one. Gimme 1/4" or GTFO. Actually my main system (Serge) is all banana, though I have quite a few banana to 1/4" cables made up for interfacing with my Foogers. Running a modular system through a couple of Foogers is heavenly. I can't come close to recreating the sound with the modular by itself.

That being said, I do hope that Moog comes out with Eurorack gear. It will sell really well and fund their MU modules (1/4" jacks). There's plenty of room for Moog in either category. No-one is making anything close to a Murf or Freq Box in modular, and their other Foogers (Delay, Phaser, Filter, Ring etc), have a unique enough sonic footprint to make them desirable enough on their own.

Stephen

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:37 pm

latigid on wrote:
MC wrote:I will never buy any modular that uses 1/8" jacks. There is no such thing as a long life 1/8" jack.
No such thing as an 1/8th" jack Mike ;)
While I can appreciate correctness in communications (I have the hardest time NOT correcting people that sound like a cow when pronouncing "Moog" :lol: ) it is very common to refer to 3.5mm jacks and plugs as 1/8" and has been so for a very long time. So much so that even Switchcraft still mentions 1/8" along with 3.5mm:
http://www.switchcraft.com/productsumma ... Parent=423

And it's pretty close anyways, if you look at Switchcraft's CAD drawing, http://www.switchcraft.com/Drawings/35PM1_CD.pdf, the jack opening is specified as 0.142", which is only 0.017" larger than 1/8" and 3.5mm = 0.137795" which is still smaller, but of course significantly closer. 8)

I'm feeling extremely nerdy right now . . . I need to go play with my modular synth and watch some Sci-Fi to get back to "normal" so women will like me! :lol:
John L Rice
MiniMoog, MinitMoog, MG-1, Sub Phatty, 5U modulars, Eurorack modulars

Vsyevolod

Post by Vsyevolod » Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:24 pm

Aw John, women just adore you and all your modules...

Stephen

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:43 pm

Vsyevolod wrote:Aw John, women just adore you and all your modules...
lol, thanks Stephen, you sweet guy you! 8)
John L Rice
MiniMoog, MinitMoog, MG-1, Sub Phatty, 5U modulars, Eurorack modulars

latigid on

Post by latigid on » Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:59 pm

Apparently pi = 3 too 8)

Perhaps mm is confused with min in the US and 1/8" just seemed like a good idea?

latigid on

Post by latigid on » Mon Jan 12, 2015 6:28 pm

Well, Moog likes the term 3.5 mm at least :wink:

http://www.moogmusic.com/products/acces ... v-expander

This is really starting to look like a module, in Eurorack form nonetheless. The Werkstatt has a PCB height that will fit into 3U and the power is +12 V. Several folks have hacked/modded these into modular formats already: will Moog go the rest of the way?