Wtb Vintage Minimoog Needing Repair

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
facon

Wtb Vintage Minimoog Needing Repair

Post by facon » Fri Jan 02, 2015 6:36 pm

Well, I've been saving for around three years to buy a Minimoog. In around two weeks I'll have enough to purchase one that needs repair. I wanted to put some feelers out to see if anybody is interested in selling one. Preferably needing electronic repair over physical damage.

torinkrell

Re: Wtb Vintage Minimoog Needing Repair

Post by torinkrell » Sat Jan 03, 2015 4:28 pm

I as well as a few others here did exactly what you plan to do. I bought a Minimoog needing repair at a great price and was able to fix it myself. In my case I was lucky as the required repairs were relatively minor.

I would bet though that many others on this forum would also love to get a hold of a sick Minimoog to bring it back to health as a winter project. I wouldn't mind doing it myself as I would rather have a second Minimoog than my Sequential Pro Ones.
Last edited by torinkrell on Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Akai AX-80
Korg Polysix
Roland Juno 60
Moog The Source
Yamaha e1010 BBD
Moog Parametric EQ
Sequential Prophet Pro~One
Altec AS-1600 audio oscillator (1947)
Moog Music Minimoog Model D (1973)

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:15 pm

One Minimoog D per household should be the limit, to let someone else get the chance to have one... Just saying... :D
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

facon

Post by facon » Sun Jan 04, 2015 1:21 am

I'm sure there are many others that would love to find one as well. I've been wanting one for my entire life. My dad's old friend used to have one when I was growing up, but I wasn't allowed to touch it haha. Of course, now I'm also contemplating a Voyager for the modern options. I swear I lose sleep over this stuff!

torinkrell

Post by torinkrell » Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:22 pm

thealien666 - How much time did you put into restoring your Minimoog Model D? I believe a restoration like yours is beyond most of us on this forum. Its a credit to your technical knowledge, ability, perseverance, and the fact that the Minimoog's vintage design makes difficult repairs possible that would relegate most other synths to merely parts units.
Akai AX-80
Korg Polysix
Roland Juno 60
Moog The Source
Yamaha e1010 BBD
Moog Parametric EQ
Sequential Prophet Pro~One
Altec AS-1600 audio oscillator (1947)
Moog Music Minimoog Model D (1973)

MC

Post by MC » Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:33 am

When I first got my RAM it refused to stay in tune. Everything else worked. I exploited my EE experience to perform incremental changes to the control circuits to improve the tuning. Took about three months, and all without changing the sonority.
Gear list: '04 Saturn Ion, John Deere X300 tractor, ganged set of seven reel mowers for 3 acres of lawn, herd of sheep for backup lawn mowers, two tiger cats for mouse population control Oh you meant MUSIC gear Oops I hit the 255 character limi