X Y controller power supply.

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
rarecomponent

X Y controller power supply.

Post by rarecomponent » Sun Dec 28, 2014 7:24 pm

On the wiring schematics for the modulars there is an accessory socket at the rear. Did the XY unit plug into this socket ?
The plug and socket seem to match but hard to tell.
Does anyone know what maximum control voltage output the unit produced ?

noddyspuncture

Re: X Y controller power supply.

Post by noddyspuncture » Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:59 am

Hi,

My 959 X-Y controller works with the voltages from a Minimoog... +/-10 and also the voltages from the Sonic6... +/-15...!

The early Modulars had +12 and -6 so I think it may behave somewhat unpredictable... but still should work after a fashion...!?

The unit can't produce any more voltage than you supply it with... it is a "passive" module... basically, with no "active" circuitry.

Here's a video of mine in action: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lygU63Ppy_c

Cheers,
Tom

rarecomponent

Post by rarecomponent » Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:19 am

That's a good video Tom. That XY is certainly very effective. Seems identical to CZ 's clone ?

So if the input voltage is +/- 10 v is that what it gives out via suitable resistors thru the black and red jack leads output? I guess it must be...and like you say for a modular it must have been +12. -6 v ? It seems a lot of voltage to put straight into the controllers of the 904 and 902,etc.but I guess the pots and resistors cut the current somewhat ? this is my query.

CZ Rider

Post by CZ Rider » Mon Dec 29, 2014 2:26 pm

With a +10/-10 volt supply like found on the Minimoog,I get:
Full range: -2.4 volt to +2.3 volt.
10% range: -0.2 volt to + 0.2 volt.
With a +15/-15 volt supply like found on the Sonic Six, I get:
Full range: -3.5 volt to +3.5 volt.
10% range: -0.36 volt to + 0.33 volt.
Zero volts is calibrated to be at the center of both axis.

This 959 clone is set up for a symmetrical power supply and would need to be recalibrated to safely operate on an asymmetrical supply like the +12/-6 volts found on the 910 power supply.
My best guess would be if your 959 came with a 6-prong power connector, it is set up for a symmetrical power source. And if it is equiped with a 3-prong power connector it would be set up for an asymmetrical power source.

Most early modular accessories I have seen had the 3-prong power plug like those wedge shaped 959's and 958 pedals and the early 955 linear controller. The 910 power supply did have provisions for three of those 3-prong outlets and also had one 6-prong that had the extra -10 volt on pin 4 for powering remote 901 oscillators. I do not believe that 6-prong outlet was put there for powering the later accessories, though it could be used for that if needed.
The later Norlin model 35/55 had a different 930 power supply. On the back of those units was an 8-prong accessory outlet that was wired for +15/-15 power and carried the accessory voltages and trigger through buffer circuits to the front panel.

Researching the history of the 959, it looks to be originally designed in 1970 for the CEMS. Joel Chadabe probably commisioned Bob and company to make the first ones. Joel had 4 or 5 of those 959 controllers added to the keyboardless CEMS with a build date of November 1970, custom made by R.A.Moog. Have seen the original units with serials 1001 thru 1005. These were offered later as a standard module in Moog catalogs with a photo of the wedge shaped one. Not sure though how many of these may have been assembled. Thought I remember seeing serial 1007, so they made at least 7 of those wedge shaped ones with the variable range axis.
The later square shaped 959 looks to be a model designed as a standard Moog accessory for the Minimoog and Sonic Six. No mention of these 959's in any brochures dated after 1973. Although Moog always had a custom order depertment, where if you had the cash they would make you any custom instrument within reason.
Did recently dig up a price list with the 959 on it from 1972.

Interesting to see the guitar interface listed.
1P Modular,Minimoog,VoyagerRME,CustomMinimoog,Prodigy,MG-1 TaurusII,Opus3,Rogue,Source,Liberation,Micromoog,1125S&H,
1130Perc.x2,1150Ribbonx2,Custom1150,1120Pedal,Songprod,CP-251,VX-351
VX-352,Etherwave,Synampx2,Lil'Phatty,Sonic Six

rarecomponent

Post by rarecomponent » Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:21 pm

Thanks CZ...more detailed info like this is really good.

I have made an XY clone similar to your build a few months ago but have not sorted the actual output as there's no one definitive source . But I guess +- 15 v input and +- 3.5 output looks the most convincing.
If I get any results that are similar to Toms video I'll be pretty chuffed.

noddyspuncture

Post by noddyspuncture » Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:01 pm

rarecomponent wrote: If I get any results that are similar to Toms video I'll be pretty chuffed.
No reason why you shouldn't... and if you got questions you have me with an original one and CZ who also built his own.
Should be a successful project...!

By the way... tonight I just secured my 4th Minimoog... :D hehehe..!

Cheers,
Tom

rarecomponent

Post by rarecomponent » Tue Dec 30, 2014 3:39 pm

Shades of Arthur " two sheds" Jackson ?