Tell us about your rig

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
Flareless

Re: Tell us about your rig

Post by Flareless » Fri Feb 26, 2016 10:27 am

EricK wrote:Great looking studio!
Get some Mos-lab in that cabinet.

What about your trapset?
Thank you for the kind words! I do plan to add some MOS-LAB stuff. It looks very cool! Just waiting for the Canadian dollar to shore up a bit.

As for my kit, I'm always happy to show it off :D

It's a Gretsch Renown Maple kit; 8", 10", 12", 13" rack toms. 14", 16" floor toms. 20" kick (should have gone for 22" but still quite happy with it)

Cymbals are all Zildjian most of them old (before they stamped serial #s on them and before all the A / K crap). 8" K Splash, 8" Zil Bell, 10" A Custom Splash, 13" New Beat hats, 16" Rock Crash, 16" Armand Medium Thin Crash, 17" Rock Crash, 17" Fast Crash, 18" Medium Crash, 18" Medium Thin Crash, 18" China Trash, 20" Ping Ride. I also have a 20" Ride and 14" hats from the "Made In Canada" period.

The heads are Evans Black Hydraulic which I find great for recording. Hardware is all DW and Pearl

Here's the whole studio side of the room...

I also have a Pearl Export kit with the same tom sizes (but since it's from the '80s they're 1" deeper all around) plus the kick is 22". I use that kit for gigs.

Rich

What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it gives forth a sound - Neil Peart

Spitfire

Post by Spitfire » Fri Feb 26, 2016 4:37 pm

EricK wrote:If you have a flickr account or your images are online somewhere, just get the image address and click the " Img " button.

[ img ] http : // www . your image address here . jpg [ /img ] make sure there are no spaces and you are good.

Or you can just click on upload attachment.

Hey thanks a lot EricK. :mrgreen: The URL part I couldn't quite figure out, but how could I have missed the attachment part? LOL I can be a real ditz. thx!
Minimoog Model D / Moog Little Phatty TE / DSI Prophet 08 / Elektron Digitone / Elektron Octatrack Mkii / Clavia Nord Wave / Nord Drum II / Clavia Nord Lead 3 / Roland TR-707 / Roland TB-03 / Korg MS-20 / Access Virus TI 2 Polar / Roland SH-101 /:mrgreen:

MC

Post by MC » Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:12 pm

Flareless wrote:
EricK wrote:Great looking studio!
Get some Mos-lab in that cabinet.

What about your trapset?
Thank you for the kind words! I do plan to add some MOS-LAB stuff. It looks very cool! Just waiting for the Canadian dollar to shore up a bit.

As for my kit, I'm always happy to show it off :D

It's a Gretsch Renown Maple kit; 8", 10", 12", 13" rack toms. 14", 16" floor toms. 20" kick (should have gone for 22" but still quite happy with it)

Cymbals are all Zildjian most of them old (before they stamped serial #s on them and before all the A / K crap). 8" K Splash, 8" Zil Bell, 10" A Custom Splash, 13" New Beat hats, 16" Rock Crash, 16" Armand Medium Thin Crash, 17" Rock Crash, 17" Fast Crash, 18" Medium Crash, 18" Medium Thin Crash, 18" China Trash, 20" Ping Ride. I also have a 20" Ride and 14" hats from the "Made In Canada" period.

The heads are Evans Black Hydraulic which I find great for recording. Hardware is all DW and Pearl

Here's the whole studio side of the room...

I also have a Pearl Export kit with the same tom sizes (but since it's from the '80s they're 1" deeper all around) plus the kick is 22". I use that kit for gigs.

I'm also a drummer and I approve this post :mrgreen:
Gear list: '04 Saturn Ion, John Deere X300 tractor, ganged set of seven reel mowers for 3 acres of lawn, herd of sheep for backup lawn mowers, two tiger cats for mouse population control Oh you meant MUSIC gear Oops I hit the 255 character limi

Flareless

Post by Flareless » Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:19 pm

MC wrote:I'm also a drummer and I approve this post :mrgreen:
Last week I got a phone call from a guy who's a friend of the rhythm guitarist in the classic rock band I play drums in. He was starting out playing the drums and he saw us play a couple of times and wanted to ask me a few questions about playing (it was actually quite flattering).

He and his guitarist dropped by yesterday and although we talked about drums for a little while I spent most of the time showing them my modular 8)
Rich

What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it gives forth a sound - Neil Peart

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:46 pm

Great looking kit Flareless ! I like the look of the black drumheads. :D
I'm glad to see that I'm not alone as a drummer who also happens to love analog synths ! And I'm also Canadian on top of that ! Woohoo !

Since we're showing drum stuff, here's my drumkit (all chrome, part Pearl, part Tama) as seen on my YouTube channel. :wink:

Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

Flareless

Post by Flareless » Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:49 pm

Excellent kit!!!

Rush Fan?
Rich

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:18 pm

Yep. How could you tell ?
Was it the cowbells ? :lol:

BTW, that 21" Sabian Hand Hammered Raw Bell Dry Ride was autographed by Mike Portnoy underneath back in 2004.
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

Flareless

Post by Flareless » Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:22 pm

thealien666 wrote:Yep. How could you tell ?
Was it the cowbells ? :lol:

BTW, that 21" Sabian Hand Hammered Raw Bell Dry Ride was autographed by Mike Portnoy underneath back in 2004.
Actually it was the 6" tom. Can't do Temples of Syrinx properly without it :D

I miss my Rotos.

Very cool info on the ride!
Rich

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:26 pm

Flareless wrote: Actually it was the 6" tom. Can't do Temples of Syrinx properly without it :D
Indeed ! As well as a few other early Rush songs...

Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

MRNUTTY

Post by MRNUTTY » Mon Mar 21, 2016 3:15 pm

It seems like projects are never done, so here's a "snapshot in time" of what the studio (my rig) looks like. In the lower picture, I finally finished hanging my wall racks. Of particular pride is my Little Phatty Poly Rig - nothing sweeter than a polyphonic moog :-) The two less obvious keyboard are the Roland FA-06 (soon to be replaced by a Motif something), and a Korg Kronos - which takes PCM and VA to a ridiculous height. What isn't shown is the corner with the outboard equipment racks with more synth's, DSP's and signal processing gear.
Studio_front.jpg
Studio_rear_left.jpg
VoyagerEB, Minitaur, LittlePhattyII, 4xSlimPhatty, Sub37, MF[2x101,2x102,103,104M,105,105B,105M,2x107,108M], 3xCP251, XV351, MP201;
2xMother 32, DFAM, Subharmonicon;
System 55 and Minimoog clones with lots of mods.

EricK

Post by EricK » Mon Mar 21, 2016 7:03 pm

Lots of synth power in there.
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

jsharpphoto

Post by jsharpphoto » Mon Mar 21, 2016 7:20 pm

MRNUTTY wrote:It seems like projects are never done, so here's a "snapshot in time" of what the studio (my rig) looks like. In the lower picture, I finally finished hanging my wall racks. Of particular pride is my Little Phatty Poly Rig - nothing sweeter than a polyphonic moog :-) The two less obvious keyboard are the Roland FA-06 (soon to be replaced by a Motif something), and a Korg Kronos - which takes PCM and VA to a ridiculous height. What isn't shown is the corner with the outboard equipment racks with more synth's, DSP's and signal processing gear.
Studio_front.jpg
Studio_rear_left.jpg
Nice Andromeda.
Moog Format Modular
Model D (2016)
Moog Subsequent37
Oberheim OB-6
Sequential Rev2

MRNUTTY

Post by MRNUTTY » Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:29 pm

I prefer the sound of the little phatty poly over the A6, although occasionally it is nice to have more than 5 notes :-) Also the Sub37 and the little Phatty goes together nicely. The Foogers are mostly in use with the Voyager as extra OSC's; much more could be done with a few EG's and VCA's. Perhaps the space to the left where the guitars are could house a couple of BOX11's, and smaller keyboard synths like the MoPho, Minibrute, MS20's (these are not really as pleasant as I was hoping for, and truthfully the Kronos and iOS MS20 app sound better), and KORG odyssey, but the money has to come from somewhere... I sold off a number of VA's to buy the Kronos.
Last edited by MRNUTTY on Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VoyagerEB, Minitaur, LittlePhattyII, 4xSlimPhatty, Sub37, MF[2x101,2x102,103,104M,105,105B,105M,2x107,108M], 3xCP251, XV351, MP201;

Flareless

Post by Flareless » Thu Mar 24, 2016 6:34 am

Beautiful setup MRNUTTY! Very well laid out and tidy not to mention super-cool 8)
Rich

MRNUTTY

Post by MRNUTTY » Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:51 am

Thank you flareless, EricK, and jsharpphoto ( sorry I spelled your nick wrong - what a dunce I am!!)! It took many years of plans and constructions. The plans and execution alone took 2 years of studying the http://johnlsayers.com website for studio design, a patient wife, and a willing contractor. I highly recommend the website. There are numerous luminaries divulging their knowledge as well and JS himself. A veritable wealth of knowledge and information about materials and construction techniques. Aside from the synth's, the room itself sounds damn fine :-)

Update: dumb typos, and incomprehensible phrases fixed!