Help newbie decide: Voayger vs Sub37

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
MoogProg

Re: Help newbie decide: Voayger vs Sub37

Post by MoogProg » Mon Nov 10, 2014 10:55 am

BorisYeltsin wrote:
namahshaman wrote:(Btw, I'm never out of the studio, no gigging.)
That there might just be the deciding factor (at least it was for me). I have admired the modern Moog synths for many years, but never considered buying one because I couldn't quite see myself performing live with one. I already spend enough time noodling around in the studio that I don't need to spend top dollar for a studio box.

If I was buying a Moog for the studio it would be a Voyager XL with the long-term goal of using its CV capabilities patched to an ever expanding array for Moogerfoogers and such. :D

But that's not me. I was searching for the just-right keyboard for a new band and the Sub37 came into focus as the ideal keyboard. Something lightweight but powerful with a distinctive sound.

DeckardTrinity

Post by DeckardTrinity » Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:58 pm

MoogProg wrote:If I was buying a Moog for the studio it would be a Voyager XL with the long-term goal of using its CV capabilities patched to an ever expanding array for Moogerfoogers and such. :D
That's what I ended up doing earlier this year, and it has been a dream synth come true for me. I pre-ordered the Sub 37 a couple months later and now have both.

I would say that my path (XL first, Sub 37 later) was a very good decision for my needs (studio only, no gigging). The XL was the first synth that really helped me put all of the disparate elements of subtractive synthesis together for the first time through its gorgeously oversized hands on panel. Coupled with all of the extra goodies "under the hood" (in the menu), this synth wants for nothing, apart from some great outboard effects (i.e., foogers!)

Adding on the Sub 37 later just augmented the experience I already had with the XL. It may be a Moog too, but it has more than enough character and new features to distinguish itself very nicely from its (much) bigger brother.

EricK

Post by EricK » Mon Nov 10, 2014 5:32 pm

MoogProg wrote:... to an ever expanding array for Moogerfoogers and such.
That is a very subtle way to minimize what amounts to several thousand dollars in modular and semi-modular gear haha
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

unfiltered37

Post by unfiltered37 » Tue Nov 11, 2014 3:03 pm

I would get an Old School with the CV expanders and some MF's. It is much easier to bond with an instrument without menus and presets from my experience.

Vsyevolod

Post by Vsyevolod » Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:38 pm

Yes the Voyager has a latch function.

I use my Voyager all the time with my modular system. If this is the direction you're planning on going, the Voyager + VX351 is a much better choice. If you're just looking for excellent sounds, lotsa tweakability, and good entry point for understanding synthesis, the Sub37 is a great choice.

Personally, I'd encourage you to go the Sub37 route. Later when you want a lot of modular interaction, get the Voyager XL and never sell the Sub37. You'll thank me later, though your pocketbook won't...

Stephen

BorisYeltsin

Post by BorisYeltsin » Fri Nov 14, 2014 3:36 pm

Vsyevolod wrote:Yes the Voyager has a latch function.
Thanks, I found out. It's the button down on the right side of the panel.

And today I got myself a brand new Sub37 8) I wanted the Voyager, after understanding more of it's functions, but read too many stories about VCOs suddenly dying without any reason, so for me it was not worth the price. I like to sleep at night, not worrying if my $$$$-synth will die.

The Sub 37 is very nice. Though, it freezed a lot and behaved insane before I did a firmware update.

I have a question about the Sub 37: Is it VCO's or DCO's. If it's VCO's, how are they controlled?

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Fri Nov 14, 2014 5:08 pm

Congrats Boris!! :)

Don't bother about bugs: it's a yong instrument, th OS will mature and get steadier and steadier.

VCOs! They may be digitally controlled, anyone will know better than me...

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Fri Nov 14, 2014 7:48 pm

Digitally controlled VCO seems like a paradox, but it's simply a VCO controlled by a voltage generated digitally from a DAC.

A DCO is very different and controlled by a digital timing impulse in its core.

I'm pretty sure that the oscillators in a Sub37 are VCOs, probably controlled by a precisely digitally generated CV. (much like in my Opto-Key equipped Minimoog D)
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

BorisYeltsin

Post by BorisYeltsin » Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:31 pm

stiiiiiiive wrote:Congrats Boris!! :)
thealien666 wrote:I'm pretty sure that the oscillators in a Sub37 are VCOs, probably controlled by a precisely digitally generated CV. (much like in my Opto-Key equipped Minimoog D)
Wouldn't a digitally controlled VCO in fact be a DCO? Does it make a difference if it's digitally controlled either from it's core or from it's outer border? It's digitally controlled either way, right?

What about the VCO's in Voyager, are they also digitally controlled?

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:00 pm

No. A DCO is an oscillator which has its capacitor discharge part of the oscillator circuit triggered by a digital impulse, coming from a digital timer, fed directly into the core of the DCO circuit.
In fact, the square waveform of a DCO is often that timer impulse directly heard. Other waveforms are derived from that square wave with analog circuits, and that's why it's not a purely digital oscillator.

A VCO is still controlled by an analog pitch control voltage, which is controlling the oscillation frequency between two transistors which in turn creates the impulse fed to the capacitor discharge part of the oscillator circuit. So even if that VCO is controlled from a digitally generated, and then converted to analog control voltage, it can still be out of tune if not calibrated with trimpots.

The way it works in a Voyager is, potentiometers are being measured by a pot-scanning circuit, then those measured values are digitized with high resolution, memorized on the CPU board, and then those values are converted back to an analog signal, or voltage, by a high precision Digital-to-Analog Converter (DAC) back to the analog board.

That's why there are things like Pot-Mapping possible on the Voyager. In fact, it is an "hybrid" machine, combining analog and digital control. Although the digital part is not fed directly to the circuits, but first converted back to an analog CV.
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Sat Nov 15, 2014 7:37 am

thealien666 wrote:Digitally controlled VCO seems like a paradox, but it's simply a VCO controlled by a voltage generated digitally from a DAC.

A DCO is very different and controlled by a digital timing impulse in its core.

I'm pretty sure that the oscillators in a Sub37 are VCOs, probably controlled by a precisely digitally generated CV. (much like in my Opto-Key equipped Minimoog D)
That's what I tried to say, Alain :)

See, when I wrote:
stiiiiiiive wrote:anyone will know better than me...
I knew!!