Minimoog Model D needs light hard road case

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
torinkrell

Minimoog Model D needs light hard road case

Post by torinkrell » Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:58 pm

Hey - can anyone recommend a reasonably priced light weight hard case for my 1973 Minimoog? The anvil / calzone hard cases with the steel corners are too heavy and expensive while the gig bags available do not seem to offer enough protection for live gigging. A very well padded soft case may also be good enough.
Akai AX-80
Korg Polysix
Roland Juno 60
Moog The Source
Yamaha e1010 BBD
Moog Parametric EQ
Sequential Prophet Pro~One
Altec AS-1600 audio oscillator (1947)
Moog Music Minimoog Model D (1973)

mrfett

Re: Minimoog Model D needs light hard road case

Post by mrfett » Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:21 am

If you find something please let us know. I think a custom hard case is the only option.

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:12 am

If a padded soft case is something that might work, reach out to Susan here:

Susan Bendinelli
Studio Slips
http://www.studioslips.com
http://www.facebook.com/studioslips

(her phone number is on their web site and I recommend that you have a look and then call to discuss) She/They make very high quality cases and will do custom work. Worth the $$.

Somewhat local is this guy who is based in Bohemia (Long Island) and makes somewhat lighter hard cases (if that's what you want). FWIW, this is the guy that made the Taurus III case that Moog was selling when they were initially released. He's all over eBay and I was in discussion with him to make me a custom case (with wheels and a handle, luggage style) for my pedal board. Still something I want to do but never got out there to iron out the details.

Ignore the keyboard in the pic, their # is on the listing.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Light-Duty-Econ ... 3a92a13845

If you search around the net, you'll see this outfit under different company names but don't be put off by that; his feedback rating on eBay speaks for itself and if I recall correctly, they do all of the custom work right in the shop on Long Island.
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!

mrfett

Post by mrfett » Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:33 am

hey thanks for the tips that's very helpful!

HicoMe

Post by HicoMe » Sun Nov 02, 2014 11:37 am

Hello,

in germany we have the dealer Thomann. They build cases in different qualities for good prices. For example here is a link to a cheap case they can build for keyboards with up to 61 keys -->

http://www.thomann.de/de/thon_keyboard_case_i.htm

You can give them the measure for your case, or you just name the keyboard, you will carry with, what I think is the better way.

I didn't have one of them, but I currently think about such a case (or a lighter one with plastic instead of wood) for my new Sub37.

Regards
Heiko
My current Moogs: Sub 37
My former Moogs: Minimoog Model D, heavily selfmodified Prodigy, Satellite, Etherwave Theremin

MC

Post by MC » Sun Nov 02, 2014 5:24 pm

I've been gigging since 1981 and have tried many different cases. I keep coming back to Anvil/Calzone cases. The cheaper/lighter cases are cheaper/lighter for a REASON. They don't last a long time and they WILL fall apart with time. They WILL break open when dropped. Their lids WILL crack open when subjected to a blunt impact.

You may not like heavy or expensive cases, but anything less is risking your precious gear. My Memorymoog emerged unscathed when its Anvil case fell eight feet to the ground. I never had an Anvil case break and my oldest one dates back to 1981.
Gear list: '04 Saturn Ion, John Deere X300 tractor, ganged set of seven reel mowers for 3 acres of lawn, herd of sheep for backup lawn mowers, two tiger cats for mouse population control Oh you meant MUSIC gear Oops I hit the 255 character limi