dreaming of the Voyager's successor...

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
youunicornsyou

dreaming of the Voyager's successor...

Post by youunicornsyou » Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:39 am

I know I'm not alone. I want a Voyager, but I love things like note sync and oscillators that don't have to warm up. You know, like the Sub Phatty. Except I love the Voyager's oscillator section layout (octave selection, hard sync, etc) and the overall aesthetic (not crazy about the ribbon controller, but that iconic adjustable panel with the gorgeous lighting...)
A pitch cv out would be fantastic: we could run it with our other Moogs that have pitch cv in only (espescially a great synth that doesn't have its own keyboard i.e. Minitaur).
I want to express my support, as a customer, for such an idea. I would certainly buy one.

fyvewytches

Re: dreaming of the Voyager's successor...

Post by fyvewytches » Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:00 am

Mmmm, I hope those "wants" are not stopping you buying and enjoying a Voyager right now !

You can get pitch CV (and lots more) out using a VX-351. This is an extremely useful add-on ! Or just buy an XL.
I've never had an issue switching on my Voyager 15 mins before using it :wink:
Latest track, Dancing On The Ecliptic http://soundcloud.com/ianman/dancing-on ... iptic-demo

sunny pedaal

Post by sunny pedaal » Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:03 am

only wished it had 8 voices at an affordable price, furthermore no issues regarding the voyager... :D

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Wed Oct 08, 2014 12:38 pm

You can always try to find a used Voyager Old School (there are lots of them out there), since it offers Pitch CV and Gate CV outputs.

And I distinctly remember that my own Voyager Old School didn't take more than 5 minutes to stabilize after warming up. My Minimoog D, that has replaced it since, doesn't take more than that to do the same. And both are playable (in tune) instantly. You just have to touch the master Tune knob once after warming up, that's all.

Compare that to my Korg Mono/Poly which is unplayable (completely out of tune) for several minutes before stabilizing, and you come away with great respect for Bob Moog's design.
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

youunicornsyou

Post by youunicornsyou » Wed Oct 08, 2014 3:10 pm

Good points, all. The backlit panel is great for performing, and I'm hooked on note sync :)
I'll hold out through next year ;)

EricK

Post by EricK » Wed Oct 08, 2014 4:05 pm

thealien666 wrote: And I distinctly remember that my own Voyager Old School didn't take more than 5 minutes to stabilize after warming up.
My Voyager is stable after just a few minutes of powering on.

The only way it gets better than the Voyager is if you have a Model D or some kind of modular. I tell people if you think that the knob-per-function interface will spoil you, just wait until you have virtually a CV in/out per function.
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

unfiltered37

Post by unfiltered37 » Thu Oct 09, 2014 12:02 pm

Oh come on fellas, the warmup is one of the delightful quirks of analog. It makes you wait for it, like a woman playing hard to get. I love having to tune the mini as well, it's part of the wonderful ritual of playing a real musical instrument.

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Thu Oct 09, 2014 2:04 pm

Yes indeed.
And, aside from superstar guitarists that have techs do it for them, every guitar player has to retune his instrument once in a while before and after playing it. Of course, since it's also analog !
The same goes for any "natural" instrument, from piano to violin to drums. So in that respect, the term "analog synthesizer" also means analogous to other traditional musical instruments. :wink:
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:24 pm

Have you guys seen the Modulus? It seems a bit like the Prophet 12 (digital OSCs, the rest analog) but is well made. Looks and sounds awesome until they start talking about the cloud rubbish. Oh, that and it's $5,000+. (Still want one though). http://www.sonicstate.com/news/2014/07/ ... irst-look/

Moog hasn't done anything with a true bandpass filter in a synth in a while; the Voyager has the low/hi filter mode but it's not adjustable sufficient to drag those nasally timbres.

I wouldn't expect a top shelf mono synth. Not where it's at, they've done this to death. The Sub37 is the future and maybe some Poly add-ons for it. I can't say they are losing anything to Dave Smith, if anything, they are attracting customers with the latest offerings but why do what Dave has already done.

Having said this, winter NAMM is only 4 months away and companies like Moog have to release something big that will produce revenues every 12-18 months max. So should be interesting.
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!

Kenneth

Post by Kenneth » Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:51 am

People talk and talk and talk about how much "better" the original model D is than the Voyager, but you must remember that "better" is subjective, and goodness is in the eye of the beholder. The Minimoog may have a warmer, buzzier, brighter overall tone, but the Voyager has extensive modulation capabilities that allow for some harmonically rich timbres that the Minimoog could never touch. Just earlier today, I was fiddling with a patch where I used oscillator 3 to modulate the filter. I cranked up the filter resonance, and brought osc 3 up to audio range (I had it at the 2' setting), and then routed osc 3's amount to the mod wheel. I hard-synced the first two oscillators, and routed osc 2's frequency to the filter envelope, which had a sharp decay and sustain set to 40%. Set the aftertouch to a slow, subtle, triangle pitch modulation, and I had a patch that didn't even sound remotely like it was coming out of a Moog. Sounded more like something that would have come out of my roommate's DX-7. What I'm trying to say is that the Voyager does things that most people don't expect, because they see the "Moog" sticker on the back and all they can think is to play the "Lucky Man" solo, or some Yes song, or whatever other 70's prog solo they prefer. The Voyager is so much more than a Minimoog, and I really wish people would stop trying to make it fill those shoes. I have never connected with an instrument the way I have with my Voyager. Don't hold out on buying one because you think Moog will release something better. They won't. They can't, because the Voyager is perfect. Buy one.
Moog Matriarch, ARP Odyssey MKII, Roland Juno-60, Yamaha DX7, Yamaha VSS-30

megavoice

Post by megavoice » Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:45 pm

sunny pedaal wrote:only wished it had 8 voices at an affordable price, furthermore no issues regarding the voyager... :D
I wouldn't complain if this maybe one day will become true.........

@ Kenneth
You're right, people should stop complaining about the differences between the Voyager and the Mini.
They're two different "wives"....... :wink:
"Losers always whine about their best. Winners go home and fu** the prom queen." —Sean Connery to Nicholas Cage in "The Rock" (1996)
I've never seen any real prom queen here in my country, but if we had some they'd
**** with everyone.