Dusty! (help?)

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
monsterjazzlicks

Dusty! (help?)

Post by monsterjazzlicks » Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:33 pm

Hi folks,

Does anyone use a particular type of DUST COVER for their Moogs please? I was looking at these Gator types on eBay (tho are too large) :-

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... AQ:GB:1123

I was going to buy a couple of these for my Yamaha DX7 and DX21 synths (5 x octaves). But will still need 3 & half x octaves size for the Moog!?

Ta,

Paul
Moog Subsequent 25 / MiniMoog Model D / Cubase 9 / Sibelius 8.6

thealien666

Re: Dusty! (help?)

Post by thealien666 » Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:41 pm

I simply use an empty pillow case over my Minimoog D. :mrgreen:

Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

monsterjazzlicks

Post by monsterjazzlicks » Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:42 pm

Hi Alien,

Lol, thats a snug fit dude !

Paul
Last edited by monsterjazzlicks on Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:50 pm

Hello Paul,

Yeah, I was lucky enough to have a couple of those unused lying around. And they also fit over my Korg MP4 as well (practically the exact same dimensions as the Mini). Very inexpensive, but not ideal in windy places...
:roll: :lol:

Alain.
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

MC

Post by MC » Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:59 pm

I had used towels as dust covers but found that dust can still permeate the cloth.
Gear list: '04 Saturn Ion, John Deere X300 tractor, ganged set of seven reel mowers for 3 acres of lawn, herd of sheep for backup lawn mowers, two tiger cats for mouse population control Oh you meant MUSIC gear Oops I hit the 255 character limi

monsterjazzlicks

Post by monsterjazzlicks » Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:09 pm

MC wrote:I had used towels as dust covers but found that dust can still permeate the cloth.
Cheers MC.

monsterjazzlicks

Post by monsterjazzlicks » Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:11 pm

Dear monsterjazzlicks,

Hi,

this stretchy cover would suit your 5 octave keyboards because each cover fits a 61 note keyboard. I'm sorry I don't have anything smaller to suit the 3 and 1/2 octave keyboards.

Kind regards
Neil Barkus
Music Store UK

megavoice

Post by megavoice » Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:32 pm

Hi Paul,

how are you doing ? Never heard of you for a longer time. Maybe you've been in other thrads :)
What about your MINI, seems to work fine......
But note ! Probably you've got a ghost too in your's :)
Not long ago when I played my P08 heavily for a while and turned around there had been raised one single key on my MINI, a bushing had been blasted from all alone without beeing touched. Probably my ghost had been angry on me.
I'm thinking about now instead of going every sunday morning into my Pub I should go into church and pray for him to keep him in a good mood. :lol:
I've ordered now 3 full sets of bushing for all my Vintages......... :mrgreen: ......I'm affraid of getting poor in the next time. ........All these bloody ghosts :lol:

As for the covers, if you'd like to give your living room a more Royal outlook you can go to mercer and buy some velvet cloth. They'll look great and won't cost too much per meter.........
"Losers always whine about their best. Winners go home and fu** the prom queen." —Sean Connery to Nicholas Cage in "The Rock" (1996)
I've never seen any real prom queen here in my country, but if we had some they'd
**** with everyone.

monsterjazzlicks

Post by monsterjazzlicks » Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:05 pm

Hi Megavoice,

Thanks a lot and I hope you are keeping well.

Yes, I have the MiniMoog and MultiMoog set up now. Though I may get the Pitch-Ribbon disabled in the latter because it is (as they do) wearing out a little in terms of its reliability/functionality from a electrical point of view. It randomly turns on/off hence uncontrollably transposing the keyboard and similar.

I will have a look at getting some decent cloth fittings made as dust is a real problem.

Ta,

Paul
Last edited by monsterjazzlicks on Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DonutDude

Post by DonutDude » Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:22 pm

I get all my dust covers from this company. They have a large assortment of covers for mixers, synths, even covers for monitors. They fit well and if you don't see your synth in their line of covers they will make custom covers for you if you give them the dimensions of your synth/equipment. I had them make some moogerfooger covers for me. Good people and reasonable prices. http://www.cover-it-audio.com/home.html

monsterjazzlicks

Post by monsterjazzlicks » Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:42 pm

DonutDude,

Thats GREAT man, cheers ! They have a Phatty and a Memory there. I will send them an email. Having already looked around, I don't think I will do any better. I assume they will ship abroad to UK?

Cheers,

Paul

torinkrell

Post by torinkrell » Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:46 am

I have tried several different synth covers over the years including thealiens666's pillow case idea and MC's towels. The dust, as MC noticed, always got through these cloth covers. I also worried about accidentally covering a synth without turning it off (which would possibly make a synth like a Prophet 5 overheat).
My solution was to get some bubble wrap and carefully cut it down to fit 61, 44, and 37 key synth sizes as needed. I also cut covers for my mixers. These (bubble side down) bubble wrap covers are dust proof, very gentle on my synths, transparent, attractive (since they don't hide my gear), versatile, and yes - rather inexpensive. The bubble surface also prevents condensation under the cover and the waterproof plastic even offers a little protection from spilt drinks or a random leak from above.
Akai AX-80
Korg Polysix
Roland Juno 60
Moog The Source
Yamaha e1010 BBD
Moog Parametric EQ
Sequential Prophet Pro~One
Altec AS-1600 audio oscillator (1947)
Moog Music Minimoog Model D (1973)

monsterjazzlicks

Post by monsterjazzlicks » Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:59 am

Hi Torinkrell,

I see from your gear list that you obviously know first hand what you are talking about mate! Some really nice boards there!

So the bubble-wrap just sits on the horizontal plane (ie. it does not wrap around the whole instrument, or even just the sides and corners?). Sounds cheap and effective!

I have had my DX21 for a few months and already the data-slider and volume-control is crackling (and I have read many horror stories about folk using Service-Oil or WD40 as a possible cure). I only just got my DX7 out of a mini-service yesterday and I don't want the same thing to happen to this!

Best,

Paul

megavoice

Post by megavoice » Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:25 pm

Hi Paul,

fine, that your synths are working....
As for the ribbon controller, did you already make a complete dissasembling and cleaning.
I also believed for many years that mine of my Poly was "done", completely.....but one day when I removed the tons of dust in other places I thought about to take a look more close to the controller.
I also believed it had been worn down completely and there's nothing to do, but I dismanteled, removed also the tons of dust and cleaned all the metal parts thoroughly with deoxite spray.......and after reassembling it worked almost perfectly :)
If you didn't yet, try this , but handle the single parts VERY, VERY carfully for avoiding the risk of getting broken.
Replace also the grid absolutely in the middle because it's pretty small sized

Good luck and have fun after if it'll work better :)
"Losers always whine about their best. Winners go home and fu** the prom queen." —Sean Connery to Nicholas Cage in "The Rock" (1996)
I've never seen any real prom queen here in my country, but if we had some they'd
**** with everyone.

monsterjazzlicks

Post by monsterjazzlicks » Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:07 pm

Hi MegaVoice,

It not not at all physically worn down and so is in very good shape (I have seen many pictures of ones which look torn and ripped!). It worked great for about a year when I first won the MultiMoog on eBay. I trilled/bent/glissed notes all the time on it and it sounded brilliant. But (amongst a few other things) it started acting up and so I threw it in for a general service. I am actually thinking that the engineer may not have looked at the Ribbon because he might have forgotten due to other repairs I had requested. I will email him an see (as he is still working on my JUNO 6 replacing the Chorus chip with a less noisy one). I don't think though that it is a dust related problem though because the MultiMoog was wrapped and boxed in storage for a couple of years while I was working on the cruises (playing off my debts!).

Paul