Dusty! (help?)

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
megavoice
Posts: 343
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:27 pm

Re: Dusty! (help?)

Post by megavoice » Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:17 pm

No, of course not so much the dust, but the oxidations and probably the rust that settled down over the years.
A few days ago I refurbished all the inner parts of my 33 year old T2 that has almost NEVER been used and never been taken out of my living room. It had been switched on for about 50 times all in all through the decades and DESPITE there had been on some pots considerable corrosions !!!
Think also of the little holes of the grid beeing probably full of very small skin leavings.....
"Losers always whine about their best. Winners go home and fu** the prom queen." —Sean Connery to Nicholas Cage in "The Rock" (1996)
I've never seen any real prom queen here in my country, but if we had some they'd
**** with everyone.

monsterjazzlicks
Posts: 294
Joined: Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:34 pm

Re: Dusty! (help?)

Post by monsterjazzlicks » Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:29 pm

megavoice wrote:Think also of the little holes of the grid beeing probably full of very small skin leavings.....

Thats true, I do go a bit mad with my pitch-bends! lol

User avatar
thealien666
Posts: 2791
Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:42 pm
Location: Quebec, Canada

Re: Dusty! (help?)

Post by thealien666 » Sat Aug 23, 2014 5:24 pm

torinkrell wrote:I have tried several different synth covers over the years including thealiens666's pillow case idea and MC's towels. The dust, as MC noticed, always got through these cloth covers. I also worried about accidentally covering a synth without turning it off (which would possibly make a synth like a Prophet 5 overheat).
My solution was to get some bubble wrap and carefully cut it down to fit 61, 44, and 37 key synth sizes as needed. I also cut covers for my mixers. These (bubble side down) bubble wrap covers are dust proof, very gentle on my synths, transparent, attractive (since they don't hide my gear), versatile, and yes - rather inexpensive. The bubble surface also prevents condensation under the cover and the waterproof plastic even offers a little protection from spilt drinks or a random leak from above.


Isn't plastic bubble wrap full of static electricity, and thus can exacerbate attracting dust ? Not to mention risking electrostatic discharge into sensitive electronics of some synths ? Not to mention, also, the almost irresistible urge of your friends or family or even yourself to burst some of those bubbles ? :lol: :lol:

My pillow cases are very dense (450 thread count) and made of 60% cotton and 40% polyester (not too fluffy to create dust, and not too plasticky to create static). Even though the contour does not fit snuggly, there is very little dust that manages to get under the covers. The key is to remove them and play the instrument almost daily and shake the dust off the covers (preferably outside).
As for accidentally leaving a synth powered on and overheating, all of the synths I own have their heatsink on the back where it is well ventilated. Furthermore, I use a power bar to cut power completely to all my musical equipment at once.
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

LPsCDsn12iis
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:55 pm

Re: Dusty! (help?)

Post by LPsCDsn12iis » Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:02 pm

I buy from Digitaldeckcovers.com in the US frequently. I'm not sure if they ship internationally (though, they'd probably work it out with you if you contact them-they're a small company).
You can request an estimate with your own material and color configurations--any dimensions. Also, they can add flaps, slots, etc. I've had them make everything from turntable, dj mixer, and cassette deck covers to a full 19" rack.
Regards,
John

monsterjazzlicks
Posts: 294
Joined: Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:34 pm

Re: Dusty! (help?)

Post by monsterjazzlicks » Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:53 am

Thanks very much for the info John.

torinkrell
Posts: 90
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:48 pm
Location: New York City metro area

Re: Dusty! (help?)

Post by torinkrell » Sun Aug 24, 2014 3:58 pm

The bubble wrap does not seem to create any static electricity issues at all however it is a tempting to pop it from time to time :) I always enjoy hearing the variety of solutions this forum offers!
Akai AX-80
Korg Polysix
Roland Juno 60
Moog The Source
Yamaha e1010 BBD
Moog Parametric EQ
Sequential Prophet Pro~One
Altec AS-1600 audio oscillator (1947)
Moog Music Minimoog Model D (1973)

User avatar
museslave
Posts: 590
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2003 1:52 pm
Location: Asheville
Contact:

Re: Dusty! (help?)

Post by museslave » Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:34 pm

As long as your cloth cover fully covers the synth and doesn't allow for a lot of air flow, AND isn't particularly lacking in density, dust isn't going to get through. Of course, because it's cloth, dust might come FROM it, but isn't necessarily getting THROUGH it.

I've always thought a plastic like a trashbag, as held down by heavy cloth like a pillow case or towel would work wonderfully, if you were really seeking to keep dust off of your synth.

But let's face it: the biggest problem isn't a few stray dust particles, the the biggest problem is putting some sort of cover over your synth and not playing it for a long time. If you have synths that you don't play frequently, you should probably just keep them in cases... and also prepare for the eventuality of having to twist pots a lot. Synths with knobs need to be played frequently. The older they are, the more unhappy they'll be if they're not played. Synths that are played a lot don't gather dust... because you won't let them. :)

User avatar
MC
Posts: 2873
Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2003 2:20 pm
Location: Secluded Tranquil Country

Re: Dusty! (help?)

Post by MC » Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:44 am

museslave wrote:As long as your cloth cover fully covers the synth and doesn't allow for a lot of air flow, AND isn't particularly lacking in density, dust isn't going to get through. Of course, because it's cloth, dust might come FROM it, but isn't necessarily getting THROUGH it.


Respectfully disagree.

The dust I am seeing is light colored.

The towels I am covering the synths with are black.

The dust is the same material whether the synths were covered or not. It is a very fine dust. Cloth is porous, very fine dust is going to go through it. The light colored dust is not coming from the black towels.
Gear list: '04 Saturn Ion, John Deere X300 tractor, ganged set of seven reel mowers for 3 acres of lawn, herd of sheep for backup lawn mowers, two tiger cats for mouse population control Oh you meant MUSIC gear Oops I hit the 255 character limi

User avatar
thealien666
Posts: 2791
Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:42 pm
Location: Quebec, Canada

Re: Dusty! (help?)

Post by thealien666 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:45 pm

Uh, do you know where the fine dust you're talking about come from ? Mostly from dead human skin cells. Unless your covered synths are in a sanding workshop ? :lol:
Maybe vacuuming the floors more often would reduce the amount, and it wouldn't then easily go thru the cloth covers ? Image Image Image

Just kidding MC...
Image
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

megavoice
Posts: 343
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:27 pm

Re: Dusty! (help?)

Post by megavoice » Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:55 pm

thealien666 wrote:
torinkrell wrote:I have tried several different synth covers over the years including thealiens666's pillow case idea and MC's towels. The dust, as MC noticed, always got through these cloth covers. I also worried about accidentally covering a synth without turning it off (which would possibly make a synth like a Prophet 5 overheat).
My solution was to get some bubble wrap and carefully cut it down to fit 61, 44, and 37 key synth sizes as needed. I also cut covers for my mixers. These (bubble side down) bubble wrap covers are dust proof, very gentle on my synths, transparent, attractive (since they don't hide my gear), versatile, and yes - rather inexpensive. The bubble surface also prevents condensation under the cover and the waterproof plastic even offers a little protection from spilt drinks or a random leak from above.


Isn't plastic bubble wrap full of static electricity, and thus can exacerbate attracting dust ? Not to mention risking electrostatic discharge into sensitive electronics of some synths ? Not to mention, also, the almost irresistible urge of your friends or family or even yourself to burst some of those bubbles ? :lol: :lol:

My pillow cases are very dense (450 thread count) and made of 60% cotton and 40% polyester (not too fluffy to create dust, and not too plasticky to create static). Even though the contour does not fit snuggly, there is very little dust that manages to get under the covers. The key is to remove them and play the instrument almost daily and shake the dust off the covers (preferably outside).
As for accidentally leaving a synth powered on and overheating, all of the synths I own have their heatsink on the back where it is well ventilated. Furthermore, I use a power bar to cut power completely to all my musical equipment at once.


Oh yes my mates, THINK of the statics, some ICs are really prone for it. I.ex. the TOS chips for the Poly.
I also have been recently chastised from my tech NOT to cover the side slids of my CHROMA, even after swapping the PSU into a "almost not heating any more" SPSU. Even this small warmth HAS TO go out....

As for the dust, the dust itself it's not the issue at the end. The big mess is that dust is hygroscopic and attracks water from the air, .......I think I need not to continue....

In the first years I had all my synths covered till the late eighties, but if YOU have a beautiful wife at home, you'll keep her binded up in a sack most of the time :lol: :lol: :lol: ???
So since then I don't cover any more and buyed a very mellow and big paint brush and go over from time to time.
Except the T2, all my syths looked wonderful inside after opening after a long time.......so why should I care......
"Losers always whine about their best. Winners go home and fu** the prom queen." —Sean Connery to Nicholas Cage in "The Rock" (1996)
I've never seen any real prom queen here in my country, but if we had some they'd
**** with everyone.

User avatar
MC
Posts: 2873
Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2003 2:20 pm
Location: Secluded Tranquil Country

Re: Dusty! (help?)

Post by MC » Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:32 pm

thealien666 wrote:Uh, do you know where the fine dust you're talking about come from ? Mostly from dead human skin cells. Unless your covered synths are in a sanding workshop ? :lol:
Maybe vacuuming the floors more often would reduce the amount, and it wouldn't then easily go thru the cloth covers ? Image Image Image

Just kidding MC...
Image


Image

Respectful ribbing aside, my studio basement is unfinished and the basement ceiling has fiberglass insulation between the floor joints. This fine dust is the insulation shedding. Very annoying stuff. I rent the place so I am not putting any $$$ into any improvement.
Gear list: '04 Saturn Ion, John Deere X300 tractor, ganged set of seven reel mowers for 3 acres of lawn, herd of sheep for backup lawn mowers, two tiger cats for mouse population control Oh you meant MUSIC gear Oops I hit the 255 character limi

mrfett
Posts: 38
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:47 pm
Location: Silver Spring, MD

Re: Dusty! (help?)

Post by mrfett » Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:44 pm

these guys make good covers that keep dust out, and they aren't too expensive:

http://www.lecover.com

monsterjazzlicks
Posts: 294
Joined: Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:34 pm

Re: Dusty! (help?)

Post by monsterjazzlicks » Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:31 pm

mrfett wrote:these guys make good covers that keep dust out, and they aren't too expensive:

http://www.lecover.com


Thanks Mr Fett.

mrfett
Posts: 38
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:47 pm
Location: Silver Spring, MD

Re: Dusty! (help?)

Post by mrfett » Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:32 am

happy to help :-)

User avatar
Vsyevolod
Posts: 712
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:38 pm
Location: Seattle

Re: Dusty! (help?)

Post by Vsyevolod » Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:22 pm

If you have exposed fiberglass insulation in your studio, you owe your lungs (and health and longevity) a lot. Cover that s*** up, if only with 4 mil plastic!

Stephen




.

Post Reply