RIP Kevin Lightner/Synthfool

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
BrianK

Re: RIP Kevin Lightner/Synthfool

Post by BrianK » Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:11 am

Wow, so sad.

He had such troubles with physical pain. It made any part of life
Tough, and restoration of synths (his favorite world) just impossible.

We are all lucky his words and advice are still out there, as he was so
generous on the forums. No one like him anywhere, truly. I spent some
Time this year visiting and trying to help out, but it only made it more
clear that there was no real hope. Frustrating, as people like Kevin are
rarely seen in a lifetime.

Hope Monica is ok, she is a great gal. I hope there is some relief, amidst
this great loss...

AlakaLazlo

Post by AlakaLazlo » Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:40 am

I met Kevin a few years ago when I had him work on my IIP. We became friends right away. Turns out we grew up just a few blocks away from each other and our paths had crossed several times years ago. He was in pretty serious pain the last time i spoke with him, both physical - as a result of his debilitating condition - and emotional. I'm very sad to see that he passed, but am glad to have known him and glad that his suffering has ended. A very sad day.
Moog IIP, One 16V and MiniMoog, DotCom/FSFX/Moon/STG 110, Cubase 12Pro, Ableton Live 10/64, RME UFX+, 2xMR816, MioXL, Expressionist, Cirklon, Analog Rytm Mk II, Axon AX50, Customized Variax JTV69s (the Hexstainocaster), Strat, Godin ACS Slim, Helix.

Vince Ascoli

Post by Vince Ascoli » Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:46 am

Godspeed, Synthfool...be at peace, free from pain. Thank you for your years of friendship to so many in the synth community, for the sharing of your huge body of knowledge and resources and for your quality work and integrity...cheers to Kevin!
Voyager Select Maple Jade, Voyager Aluminum, Xpander, OB-8, Prophet~6, Virus Ti Pølar, DX5

Pro-502

Post by Pro-502 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:47 pm

Rest In Peace Kevin

megavoice

Post by megavoice » Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:11 pm

About three months ago I've been told by an acquaitance that Kevin had been told him personally that he'd suffer from multiple sclerosis. Don't know how long he had suffered from but I'm a bit surprised as from my medical knowledge people with ms have a reduced life expectancy of about 5 years less than the avearge people.
Well I've also have to say "Thank you, Kevin" as he still tried to help me with my Poly obviously in the "latest moments".........................
"Losers always whine about their best. Winners go home and fu** the prom queen." —Sean Connery to Nicholas Cage in "The Rock" (1996)
I've never seen any real prom queen here in my country, but if we had some they'd
**** with everyone.

EricK

Post by EricK » Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:30 pm

Kevin was a powerhouse in the synthesizer community. I had seen his name numerous times over the years as just about any picture of a synthesizer one can find has "image courtesy of Kevin Lightner" attached to it. I was pleasantly surprised to find he was easily approachable and generous with his depth and breadth of knowledge.

He was far too young to have gone through the things he did and instances like his illustrate why we need more affordable health care in this country.

Deepest condolences to Monica and Kevin's family and friends.
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

slabwax

Post by slabwax » Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:13 pm

EricK wrote:He was far too young to have gone through the things he did and instances like his illustrate why we need more affordable health care in this country.

Thank you Eric for making that statement! Truer words can not be spoken.

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:21 pm

slabwax wrote:
EricK wrote:He was far too young to have gone through the things he did and instances like his illustrate why we need more affordable health care in this country.

Thank you Eric for making that statement! Truer words can not be spoken.
Indeed!
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

dlmorley

Post by dlmorley » Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:47 pm

Very sad news.
It seems he suffered enough though..
RIP Kevin and condolences to his wife and friends.

MC

Post by MC » Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:44 pm

I met Kevin back in 2000 when I went to my first NAMM show. We both had a mutual admiration for each other's technical knowledge of analog synths. That was a fun day, sharing battle stories.

My first encounter with a Moog modular was through Kevin. I didn't learn until late in the game that I lived within an hour of the birthplace of those things so I had never seen any moog modular until then. He had a System 55 in his place for restoration. What a rush it was playing that thing!

At the NAMM show, Kevin dragged me from the Audities display to the Technosaurus booth for my "initiation". Upon my arrival, the big modular was completely cleared of patchcords and I was invited (being kind here :lol:) to patch up. I quickly patched up the "acid test" of analog synth sound design - a choir patch. That earned me my membership card. While checking out the NAMM floor, we happened upon a clonewheel organ hooked up to a Motion Sound rotating speaker and I started playing the organ finger-twisting intro to Boston's "Foreplay" to which Kevin quickly doubled with me. A crowd had gathered there to watch the entertainment.

When I first became a netizen back in 1998 Kevin was a constant presence on Analogue Heaven, one of the early gatherings of analogue synth enthusiasts when the analog revival was gaining traction. It was a world where most techs had long abandoned the trade of analog synth repair and info was scattered and hard to come by, and Kevin shared a lot on that forum. His words will always be there after he is gone.

We are better today while Kevin was part of this world with us, for today we have a renaissance of analog synthesizers thanks to people like Kevin. I'm not just talking the repair/restoration work that Kevin had accomplished. I'm also talking the intricate technical details he shared that was not in service manuals. He had a hand in the development of the Andromeda and the Voyager. Kevin was one of a handful of people who could restore the eclectic and bizarre Buchla modulars, and had it not been for his handiwork keeping the interest alive in Buchla modular Don Buchla might not had been inspired to develop his 200e modular systems. Kevin's library of schematics, service manuals, and personal notes were generously scanned (no small effort, I promise you) and placed on his website to be shared to all. It wouldn't be too much of a stretch that many modern clones of famous analog circuits were a product of his shared library.

I had known other more knowledgeable synth techs who have passed before Kevin, but none put their library and personal knowledge on the internet to the extent that Kevin did. Looking back, I feel like I have lost a twin brother separated at birth. He will be greatly missed.
Gear list: '04 Saturn Ion, John Deere X300 tractor, ganged set of seven reel mowers for 3 acres of lawn, herd of sheep for backup lawn mowers, two tiger cats for mouse population control Oh you meant MUSIC gear Oops I hit the 255 character limi

Piktor

Post by Piktor » Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:17 pm

I did not know Kevin personally, but I became aware of him and his wisdom through this site. Several years ago, when I had occasion to ask a question about some restoration work on my Multimoogs, he was very helpful in hooking me up with the Teflon tape that I needed. I was very grateful for his help. When he broke the news that he was suffering, I had considerable empathy, as I had a brother who was also suffering at the same time. I have been thinking about Mr. Lightner a fair bit today as I clean my studio/office space. It’s strange - a short while ago I reached into the back of a shelf that I’m cleaning and found a box of the tape that Kevin and his wife sent to me. I have the feeling that I am going to be thinking more about him every time that I fire up the Moog. My heartfelt condolences go to Kevin’s family.

Mike

space_nerd

Post by space_nerd » Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:47 pm

this is so very-very sad.....

Kevin was a great person that spread his knowledge all around asking for nothing in return.....
for example, he had helped me a lot with my custom synth design dissertation, giving advice and suggestions, without even having meet me ever in person!!! we had interaction only via mails and via this forum!!!!

also, in the dawn of internet - early 2000's, his pages and the info he shared, were a real eye-opener for vintage synth technology and stuff - it's like the end of an era......

may mother universe rest in peace his good soul - my condolences and courage wishes to his wife .....
:( :shock: :(

CZ Rider

Post by CZ Rider » Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:14 am

A sad day for the entire synth community, we lost a great one. :cry:
Rest in Peace Kevin. My condolences to his friends and family.

Kevin touched all our lives in so many ways, and will be sorely missed by all of us. All of Kevin's contributions, insights, and work has been greatly appreciated, and really made a difference here on the Moog forum. Thanks Kevin! Godspeed my friend.
1P Modular,Minimoog,VoyagerRME,CustomMinimoog,Prodigy,MG-1 TaurusII,Opus3,Rogue,Source,Liberation,Micromoog,1125S&H,
1130Perc.x2,1150Ribbonx2,Custom1150,1120Pedal,Songprod,CP-251,VX-351
VX-352,Etherwave,Synampx2,Lil'Phatty,Sonic Six

electrojoe

Post by electrojoe » Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:20 am

Kevin will be missed indeed!
Kevin has always been a wonderful asset to the analog synth community.
RIP, and my condolences to Kevins family.

Gerry Dahl

fyvewytches

Post by fyvewytches » Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:35 pm

I never had the honour of meeting or speaking with Kevin, but his reputation as a great tech and great person are boundless. Although the world is poorer without him, he will live on through his wise words and advice, as well as through the many great instruments he serviced and brought back to life.

Thank you Sir ! My sincere condolences to your loved ones.
Latest track, Dancing On The Ecliptic http://soundcloud.com/ianman/dancing-on ... iptic-demo