Moog Prodigy, any ideas on issue?

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
deltaphoenix

Moog Prodigy, any ideas on issue?

Post by deltaphoenix » Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:32 am

I am making a trade for a Moog Prodigy. It is supposed to power up but it doesn't produce sound. The guy that has it, knows nothing about synths and I am doing the trade long distance. MAYBE…it could be operator error but I kind of doubt it.
This is a pre-1981 Prodigy (no CV/Gate).
Obviously the synth needs to be given the once over (Caps, power supply, cleaning, etc.) but what do you think would cause this issue?
A busted solder in the VCA or something?

Any ideas/help would be greatly appreciated.

thealien666

Re: Moog Prodigy, any ideas on issue?

Post by thealien666 » Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:40 am

Buying a defective item long distance is always a big gamble. Especially if the seller admits knowing nothing about synths. If he's selling it for parts/not working for a low low price, it could be worth it, if not for the parts.

As for what could be wrong with it, your guess is as good as mine. Damaged output jack, broken wires, broken potentiometer, defective components, cracked solder, cold joints, bad contacts in switches, etc etc etc...

That's why I never buy a vintage synth without being able to see it/test it for myself, to evaluate what needs to be done, unless I can rely on a seller that knows exactly what he's selling, or at least has an estimation of the work to be done that has been performed by a qualified tech. And always, always, a low low price point for a known defective item.
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

deltaphoenix

Re: Moog Prodigy, any ideas on issue?

Post by deltaphoenix » Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:35 am

Yeah, it is a gamble. I was hoping that there is a known issue and it would be a quick and easy fix.