taurus II pedals

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
hieronymous

taurus II pedals

Post by hieronymous » Tue Jan 10, 2006 7:20 am

Are we allowed to discuss auctions here? This one's already done:

Taurus II bass pedal auction

$1525.00!!! :o Unbelievable! I thought they were too expensive when they bounced up to $700 (which appeared to be the reserve). I gave up at that point, but when I just checked again I saw what they sold for. Wow. Admittedly they appear to be in nice shape, but that seems a bit excessive. Maybe I should have gone for them - they may well only go up from here...

MC

Post by MC » Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:22 pm

I smell a shill bidder. Look at the bid history, the shiller has zero feedback and pushes it from 850 to 1500.

Waaaaay too much moola for Taurus IIs. Seller really milked them up in his description too. PT Barnum was right...

OysterRock

Post by OysterRock » Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:42 pm

There is a Rogue on eBay for sale with a buy it now of $888.88 :o

Now, I'm pretty young (23) but even I remember when Rogues were going for $300. This is getting a little out of hand. What's the deal anyway?

hieronymous

Post by hieronymous » Wed Jan 11, 2006 6:34 am

MC wrote:I smell a shill bidder. Look at the bid history, the shiller has zero feedback and pushes it from 850 to 1500.
I didn't think of that. I was watching the auction, and at one point early on it went from around $300 up to $600, then around $700 (both the same person), then the bids were withdrawn, the seller claiming they "entered the wrong amount." But the $700 bid seemed to have met the reserve, so I assumed the person was checking for that. Something similar happened again later. Then the crazy bids that you see now!

I think I'm going to stick with my idea of getting MIDI footpedals for my Rogue, though I don't see it happening anytime soon...

endocrine

Post by endocrine » Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:19 pm

Your rogue has midi?
"You can't touch me 'cause your hands are made of metal."
-Alabama Jihad

hieronymous

Post by hieronymous » Thu Jan 12, 2006 2:36 am

Not yet! I was thinking of getting one of those "Kenton Pro Solo Mk II MIDI to CV converter" things, but haven't gotten around to it...

this_poison

Moogs on Ebay

Post by this_poison » Thu Jan 12, 2006 9:26 am

I think when it comes to synths on eBay, particularly older analogs, the whole thing is a den of shill bids, overpricing, self posted bids, non-payer claims etc etc.

I've bought loads at fair prices from honest eBayers, only to see similar items "sell" weeks later at 3 or 4 times the price. Unfortunately it's so crooked that we can't use it as a price guide.

There are a lot of buyers shelling out £3000 for a VCS3 or £1800 for a Mini D when the only other thing they've bought is a £2 plate, a £1.50 CD, a 50p comicbook etc etc. There is no way all of these people go ahead with the purchase, and it's rarely passed to the next highest bidder (often a considerable margin below the "winning" bid).

Here in the UK its not unusual to see reputable music shops selling items for a fraction of what they alledgedly go for on eBay, and that genuine economic tells you all that you need to know about many of these eBay "sales".

I suppose as long as they get their fee it's not in eBays interest if it truly sold or not (but do they follow up if sellers claim non-payment repeatedly?).

It's great fun on eBay, and the genuine sellers are there, but I feel they are in an ever decreasing minority for in-demand items.

I love synths, but take every "sold" price on the auction sites with a bucketload of salt.