Moog Music UK 90s Minimoog?

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
nicholas d. kent

Re: Moog Music UK 90s Minimoog?

Post by nicholas d. kent » Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:26 pm

thealien666 wrote:I seem to remember something about a contest, back in the late '90 early 2000, for selecting the name of the future synth that was to become the Voyager ? Am I right about this ?
I actually sent in "Voyager" to the contest then when Moog Music announced the name at midnight they didn't announce who won the contest, just the name I had sent. So I waited all morning the next day to be contacted thinking I had won and they'd contact me any minute and it never happened. I guess what went down was an unknown number of people sent in "Voyager" so they picked one of them.

I don't believe they spelled out in the contest rules anywhere what they would or wouldn't do if several people sent in the same name and could see why they couldn't send a free synth to X number of multiple people. But the point was there was like 12 hours or something between the name being announced and mentioning the winner of the synth when they didn't inform me one way or the other. I thought if I was running a contest I'd offer a discount or something for preordering as a consolation prize which I surely would have went for since I was ready to preorder. In any event I did mention it to Bob via e-mail and he personally apologized. I did get to hang out with Bob a few times unrelated to that and had a great time. (I didn't preorder after that but eventually bought an unused signature edition for really cheap a few years later)

MC

Post by MC » Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:50 pm

EricK wrote:I think i remember reading somewhere that there was never anything inside it. MC will probably chime in on this one when he sees it."
The prototype was not finished in time for NAMM and was on display only. It did have MIDI jacks.

I was there the day before NAMM opened. We visited Bob's booth towards the end of the night. The rest of the gang made a beeline for the new moogerfooger pedals and I made a beeline for the synth. When Bob realized I was standing behind him with the synth he covered it up and put it away. It was pretty obvious by then that Bob was not going to grant a request for a peek inside.
Gear list: '04 Saturn Ion, John Deere X300 tractor, ganged set of seven reel mowers for 3 acres of lawn, herd of sheep for backup lawn mowers, two tiger cats for mouse population control Oh you meant MUSIC gear Oops I hit the 255 character limi

museslave

Post by museslave » Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:22 pm

thealien666 wrote:You mean, this fake thing ?

No.
When I said "Bob Moog Archives," I meant it was a prototype design that Bob himself possessed.
It was a very simplified version that resembled a Minimoog far more than a Voyager, and had a section with a digital window called "MIDI."
www.youtube.com/user/automaticgainsay
www.myspace.com/automaticgainsay2
www.myspace.com/godfreyscordialmusic

Tim Vine

Post by Tim Vine » Mon Mar 30, 2015 2:26 pm

Yep, I have one, luckily. There were only 5 or 6 made as far as I know. Tim Vine :D

Sweep

Post by Sweep » Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:42 pm

Tim, do you have any recordings made with the Welsh Mini?

Also, a YouTube demo or something of the sort would be of great interest.

And, of course, welcome to the forum.
Websites: http://musicbysweep.com and http://theSynthiMusicSite.infinite9ths.com

Revtor

Post by Revtor » Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:03 pm

To sum up the SOS review of it (read it last night)
-Liked the additional sound features (PWN, multi triggering)
-Wondered why no Sync, etc why only go half way in adding they asked.
-Didnt like the switches chosen for front panel.
-Didnt like the DIP switches used to control some things.
-Wondered why the tick marks on the sustain dial were labeled with times. . (Prototype maybe?)

Sound was almost exactly the same... There was some difference in the way the three once beat against each other, a phase issue of osc 3 IIRC.

If you got one post a pic!

`Steve