Electronic Music Review from Trumansburg

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
CZ Rider

Electronic Music Review from Trumansburg

Post by CZ Rider » Wed Jun 25, 2014 2:04 pm

Someone at VSE posted a link to the scans of these Trumansburg era publications. These are from the first issue in January 1967 thru the last issue #7 from July 1968.
Electronic Music Review scans
I had only seen the covers and list of contents from the Moog Archive site and was very curious to actually read a copy of these. From the days of R.A.Moog in the later 60's, there were many contributers and articles for anyone interested in that era af electronic music. Harold Bode article on his ring modulator. And an article from Bob Moog on the DIY construction of mixers. I always wondered what those mixers were in the Trumansburg studio. Hand made by Bob and he gives the basic schematic and parts needed.

Interesting to read the views on electronic music from the later part of the 60's. The Vol 2 and 3 are a compilation, "a worldwide, comprehensive listing of every Electronic Studio and composition known at the time." and just a list. But the other five issues 1,4,5,6,7 are pure gold.
1P Modular,Minimoog,VoyagerRME,CustomMinimoog,Prodigy,MG-1 TaurusII,Opus3,Rogue,Source,Liberation,Micromoog,1125S&H,
1130Perc.x2,1150Ribbonx2,Custom1150,1120Pedal,Songprod,CP-251,VX-351
VX-352,Etherwave,Synampx2,Lil'Phatty,Sonic Six

thealien666

Re: Electronic Music Review from Trumansburg

Post by thealien666 » Wed Jun 25, 2014 2:25 pm

WOW ! These are gems, with articles by Wendy Carlos (then Walter), Harold Bode, and many others, and of course Bob.
All that with cover graphics done on a computer (that probably took hours to render on a mainframe in those days) ! :D

Thanks CZ Rider for that great link!
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

Vince Ascoli

Post by Vince Ascoli » Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:47 pm

Whoa...this entire site is brilliant. Clicked over to Film & Video from the Electronic Music page, got lost watching an interview with John Cage...outstanding :) Tons of great resources here, Thank You!!
Voyager Select Maple Jade, Voyager Aluminum, Xpander, OB-8, Prophet~6, Virus Ti Pølar, DX5

MC

Post by MC » Wed Jun 25, 2014 4:18 pm

Even an article on buchla-esque capacitance touch pads by Hugh Le Caine... excellent reading, thanks for that!
Gear list: '04 Saturn Ion, John Deere X300 tractor, ganged set of seven reel mowers for 3 acres of lawn, herd of sheep for backup lawn mowers, two tiger cats for mouse population control Oh you meant MUSIC gear Oops I hit the 255 character limi

EricK

Post by EricK » Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:04 am

It always gets on my nerves when people refer to Wendy as "Walter now Wendy" Carlos. :)
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:08 am

I did that simply because, in those days, the articles she wrote were under her previous first name, that's all.
No big deal.
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

EricK

Post by EricK » Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:35 pm

I know, and I know you didn't mean anything by it, but some people do it for purposes of humiliation, which is probably why she is a hermit when it comes to the media.
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

bichuelo

Post by bichuelo » Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:21 pm

Thank you for sending me back to ubuweb!

Ubuweb Sound is a fantastic place to listen to electronic music :wink:
http://audiotecna.info
T-III, Voyager, VX-351, Slim Phatty, Model D, Sub Phatty, Subsequent 37, Minitaur, all moogerfoogers and minifoogers, EW+, Theremini, Model 15, Filtatron, Animoog, Model D App, iOS 11 Mother-32, DFAM, Werkstatt, Win7, High Sierra

BrianK

Post by BrianK » Sat Jun 28, 2014 8:02 pm

It is an interesting publication. Reyn Widenaar was an early connection to Moog, and a close friend of Bob's. In a way, this publication was supported by R A Moog (not hard to spot, when you look for it) and they gave away some good detail, construction projects etc. In this period, the whole EMusic field was at its most-promising. Soon after, the commerciality of S-onBach took the synth-builders world into a more normal (sometimes successful) situation. The pop music world started dumbing down synths in general, as did the Minimoog approach. In their original state, both Moog and Buchla would have (and did) fail. Not so say the designs weren't brilliant - they were, but the world just couldn't afford them and didn't understand them. Too far ahead of their time.