Moog Liberation Owners Manual (Original? by Rock Wehrmann?)

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
keytar-hero

Moog Liberation Owners Manual (Original? by Rock Wehrmann?)

Post by keytar-hero » Sun Jun 15, 2014 11:27 am

Hi Guys!

Just purchased a white Moog Liberation on ebay and was wondering about the ominous and impossible to find user manual or as wikipedia states the "Moog Liberation Owners Manual by Rock Wehrmann". :P
Can't find it anywhere online as pdf nor on ebay etc. - all i find of course is the ubiquitous schematics manual... (?)
Also would be great to have a blank patch sheet for writing down patches and maybe the manual contains some to get started etc...
and if anyone hast the original and feels like wasting some music making minutes on scanning it like in this thread some great guy did for the Rogue http://forum.moogmusic.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=8443 that would be greatly appreciated...

I guess i COULD try to use the Rouge manual too huh... (to a point) but would be awesome to have the original... I'd even buy one if necessary....

Cheers!
Joe

Portamental

Re: Moog Liberation Owners Manual (Original? by Rock Wehrman

Post by Portamental » Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:21 am

That's a hard document to find indeed but guess what, I opened the case of Liberation #2, which I never used but remembered was quite complete and lo! and behold!, there it was, the original Owners Manual (missing the cover page), in a bit of a sorry shape.

Given my crappy scanner and the warped state of the manual pages, just scanning the patch sheet page, cleaning and refocusing it was quite a bit of work so that's it for now, but at least, you can write down your favorite patches. I'll try to do the rest of the manual later on.

Now besides the controls in the neck and the inputs and outputs, the MG-1 is almost identical to the Liberation, polyphony and ring modulator included, so you might want to get hold of the MG-1's owners manual. It has a bunch of patches, the Liberation manual has only 8. (Note: the Liberation has a more standard ADS(D) contour control, with individual settings for the Filter and VCA).

Liberation Patch Sheet

Liberation #1

keytar-hero

Post by keytar-hero » Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:59 am

Duuuuude!!! Sweeet! :) Hey thanks man, so very kind of you!

Yeah it's weird that there simply is NO document available electronically on the internet... :shock:
Thanks for the patchsheet so far (I had already made a mock up version out of some control panel pics... in Pages :) but this is great.
And thanks for the tip with thev MG-1. I am not such a moog connaisseur so far so any infos a greatly appreciated!

Cheers!
Joe

ps you have 2 Liberations??? AND the spare one is in rare (custom?) blue??? AND u got the Manual?
Cheesus, who's the Keytar Hero now?? :mrgreen:

keytar-hero

Post by keytar-hero » Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:06 am

Hey on another note, what model Guitar Stand do you have there? I us just some random regular Guitar Stand for my Alesis Vortex Keytar Controller but it doesnt fit right and your's seems it's an actual Keytar stand.... the Liberation is way heavier so no chance putting it on the Alesis' stand... 8)

Portamental

Post by Portamental » Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:13 pm

The guitar stand is an Ultra (brand) acoustic guitar stand, with quick lock system. Made of heavy gauge steel, it is VERY sturdy and padded with foam where the back of the Liberation rests. It doesn't sweat with a Liberation on it. Made in China, marketed worldwide, you should not have problem finding the exact same one at most any music store.

Re: the patch sheet. I assumed you would get the original file saving from the link on Photobucket, but apparently not, only a scaled down version. Send me your e-mail address in PM, I'll send you a high resolution printable file with 2 templates on a sheet. I should be able to scan the rest of the manual later this week.

The blue one was custom refurbished for me. It was a very clean unit from the start. I thought it was worth making it special. The black one has been serviced and plays fine but does not have the Wowww factor ;) It's going to end up red metal flakes when i get to it.

I have more or less always thought the Liberation alike the MG-1 mostly because of the tone section, but thinking about it, differences add up. The envelopes are better and The Liberation's keyboard IS pressure sensitive. Much fun to play :)

Ain't family pictures nice ;)

overthereinabox

Post by overthereinabox » Fri Jun 20, 2014 5:55 pm

@portamental, Hi there! I've got a red Lib, and I would really appreciate the user manual too! Is there a chance you could send it to me as well, please? Being a bit of a newbie, please can you advise how best to do this?

Cheers,

Roy.

:D

JT23

Post by JT23 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:28 am

Hi all, new to the forum, old Moogie, but just landed a white Liberation keytar. Could use some help if y'all don't mind...

First, I too would definitely appreciate a copy of the manual. Thanks a ton!

Second, as for the user with the beautiful blue keytar, it wasn't clear to me if that was original or a more recent finish job. I have a series thing about blue gear - all my guitars are blue. If I knew the Liberation came in blue, I may've waited. Mine is white so I was wondering if folks knew anyone that could do a proper blue finish?

Third, my Liberation did not come with a case, is there a case that folks reccommend?

Any & all assistance is much appreciated, John

keytar-hero

Post by keytar-hero » Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:23 pm

Soooo whatever happened? :)

overthereinabox

Post by overthereinabox » Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:33 am

Hi Portamental, how are you getting on producing a copy of the owner's manual? I know it is gonna be a ball-ache for you to scan in each'n'every page but I'll be eternally grateful once you've donne it, as I'm sure other 'Liberators' will be!! :wink:

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:17 pm

I don't quite understand the need for the original user manual for the Liberation for what amounts to basically a "Realistic-MG1-on-a-stick-with-a-ribbon-controller-and-a-few-more-keyboard-keys" ?
The MG-1 manual is easily available on the web and, aside from the ribbon controller and patch sheets, will be 99% identical to the Liberation in terms of explaining the different sections and how to use them. Only the envelope sustain is variable with a slider instead of fixed, fully on or off, selectable by a switch on the MG-1. Aside from that, everything else is identical on the control panel, though the layout is different.
Last edited by thealien666 on Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

CZ Rider

Post by CZ Rider » Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:19 pm

I'm a little surprised it is not on the net as a PDF file. Lots of usefull info in the manual though. Like the proper way to hold the Liberation with illustrations.

The sync is a bit different with the force settings to control osc. 2.

And then there is the remote interface that can control any other Moog.
Wish I had the time and resources to make a PDF, or the web space to host it. I would want to probably scan the modular Moog operations manual first though. Another usefull manual that is missing from the net.
1P Modular,Minimoog,VoyagerRME,CustomMinimoog,Prodigy,MG-1 TaurusII,Opus3,Rogue,Source,Liberation,Micromoog,1125S&H,
1130Perc.x2,1150Ribbonx2,Custom1150,1120Pedal,Songprod,CP-251,VX-351
VX-352,Etherwave,Synampx2,Lil'Phatty,Sonic Six

keytar-hero

Post by keytar-hero » Sat Sep 06, 2014 6:08 pm

Hey, thanks a lot for this! :D

What exactly is it? 3 page excerpt of the whole manual, or is it the entire one?

It's not the most complex synthesizer there is, but still nice to have everything there is out there about it - for the sake of completeness or just because we love the darn thing so much! :mrgreen:

Portamental sent me a PM that he will scan and send me a scan of his asap.
Otherwise I would love to make the pdf and figure out a way to host it, if you can scan and send it to me.

Cheers!
Joe

polive

Post by polive » Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:47 pm

Hi there,

If anyone would be kind enough to send me a PDF of this hard-to-find Moog Liberation manual, I would be ecstatically grateful! (Perhaps we could suggest Moog add it to the 'legacy' section of their website?!) Failing that, if anyone could send it to me, my address is [email protected].

Many thanks - and sorry I have nothing but a request to contribute! If someone could help me out, it'd really make my day :)

Peter

keytar-hero

Post by keytar-hero » Fri Mar 13, 2015 11:05 pm

Yes! Behold! Here it is. Thanks to Portamental for Scanning it! I just added the front-page I got of the web.

World premier! Load full size version here: :mrgreen:

download full pdf file size 15.4 MB here:
https://mega.co.nz/#!2R4GSaib!DRnVsJHYB ... FMzY_MhpKQ
Attachments
moog® LIBERATION owners manual by Rock Wehrmann SMALL_FILE.pdf.zip
moog® LIBERATION owners manual by Rock Wehrmann SMALL_FILE.pdf
(3.42 MiB) Downloaded 288 times

Mogazi

Re: Moog Liberation Owners Manual (Original? by Rock Wehrmann?)

Post by Mogazi » Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:34 am

Hi all, I too would be keen to get a digital copy of the Liberation manual however the link to the full PDF version seems to be dead...
The "light version" is extremely pixelated to the point of being unreadable so just wondering if anyone who did manage to download it while it was still active or somehow has the digital copy still, could send me a PM or upload it somewhere.

Me (and I'm sure many others) would be extremely grateful!!! :)

Cheers