Anyone else ever come to the slow realization...

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
Voltor07

Re: Anyone else ever come to the slow realization...

Post by Voltor07 » Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:54 pm

thealien666 wrote:Yeah Voltor, most BBD delays include some sort of filtering to remove/eliminate clocking artifacts, but some filter a little less than others, at the price of some "aliasing" on long delay times (EHX Deluxe Memory Man for example).
The #1 Echo is digital. It acts like an analog delay, but it's 100% digital. The longer delay times alias a bit, but not nearly as much as a BBD device. It's the best of both worlds, IMO.
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:54 pm

Sorry I didn't know much about the EHX #1 Echo. But having looked at the specs, and viewed and listened to demos, I can tell that is uses a variable length memory buffer size for different delay times, instead of varying the sampling rate. So you shouldn't be able to hear aliasing at any delay times, since the sampling rate stays the same (presumably high enough to prevent aliasing). I does sound nice and not "digital" cold.

But for about $60 more, you could have a DD-7 with much longer delay times, a pretty good "analog" mode, many configurations (real stereo, mono, direct-delayed, ping pong, external control via EXP pedal, tap tempo, a stereo or mono looper, etc...). Pretty versatile little box. It covers all my delay needs.

It doesn't sound as "organic" as a real BBD delay, in analog mode, but close enough for me. In fact, I've sold my EHX Deluxe Memory Man EXO format to replace it with the DD-7. (I'm not millionaire, so I try to keep only stuff that I actually use and that satisfies me... :lol: )
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

Ledbetter

Post by Ledbetter » Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:37 am

I feel better about myself. I just have two--one analog, one digital: EHX Memory Boy Deluxe and TC Nova Delay. Really like them.
Former owner of Prodigy #2845 (purchased new, long ago), Animoog, Voyager Select (Fire & Maple), Little and Slim Phatties, Nord Electro 4D, 5D and Lead 2X, Roland AX-9.

MC

Post by MC » Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:38 am

Some of the factory presets in my Korg SDD-3300 had me scratching my head for years "that sounds awful where am I gonna use THAT?" Well last night I was playing around with one of those "awful" presets and discovered that certain patches sound really cool.

Don't give up on ugly ducklings, you may discover a swan later.
Gear list: '04 Saturn Ion, John Deere X300 tractor, ganged set of seven reel mowers for 3 acres of lawn, herd of sheep for backup lawn mowers, two tiger cats for mouse population control Oh you meant MUSIC gear Oops I hit the 255 character limi

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:18 am

thealien666 wrote:Sorry I didn't know much about the EHX #1 Echo. But having looked at the specs, and viewed and listened to demos, I can tell that is uses a variable length memory buffer size for different delay times, instead of varying the sampling rate. So you shouldn't be able to hear aliasing at any delay times, since the sampling rate stays the same (presumably high enough to prevent aliasing). I does sound nice and not "digital" cold./snip/
It only starts aliasing when the feedback and the rate are turned all the way up...but who actually does that? :wink:
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.