Anyone else ever come to the slow realization...

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
_DemonDan_

Re: Anyone else ever come to the slow realization...

Post by _DemonDan_ » Sat Jun 07, 2014 8:53 am

Hopeless delay junkie here...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74S-FgRdtoY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-iG6rJ1VYg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4arlipIwfIk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHRk2HO-kpo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKScK9M5AYU

My favorites include:
MF-104M (and now an MF-104MSD too)
Digitech TimeBender
Strymon TimeLine
Pigtronix Echolution 2 Deluxe
Boss RE-20
TC Flashback & Flashback x4
HardWire DL-8

I've owned many others, but these are some of the ones I've kept.
Last edited by _DemonDan_ on Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
_ :twisted: _DemonDan_ :twisted: _

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Sat Jun 07, 2014 12:51 pm

Hello Dan.

I'm a bit surprised that you might have kept the RE-20 over the El Capistan if you've ever had it ? If not, just discard this comment... :lol:

Alain.
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Sat Jun 07, 2014 6:43 pm

Has anybody any experience with the following I've just discovered today? (Damn, I was on the recovery road :) )

- JHS Panther Cub (I knew the Panther, is it the same in a more compact enclosure?)
- Empress Tape delay
- JAM Delay Llama (will they make a tap-tempo version?)
- Tech 21 DLA or boost DLA

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:25 am

The sickness continues...

There's always a dedicated Flea Market Tent at Sweetwater's GearFest every year.

This year I bought a single rackspace Ibanez DM500 Delay like I used to own back in the early 1980s for $75. The four things I liked about it back then were its ability to radically change delay times manually without any glitching (easy for all analog delays, difficult or impossible on many digital delays), a beautiful stereo chorus/flange via its LFO, a frequency response with more high end than the analogs of its day (but not too much), and a hyper-wide stereo field.

The stereo field was artificially created by sending Dry to both sides, Delay to one side, and Inverted Delay to the other side. This trick has mostly fallen out of use because the delay/chorus/flange effects disappear when summed to mono. But, since pretty much everything I do is live, and in stereo, I don't worry much about mono.

I got it for $75 and wouldn't you know it, I found an Ibanez DM1000 (double the delay time) at a different table for $40 an hour later.

So now I have have two DMs. Like I said, it's a sickness.

As far as the El Capistan, I agree that it's an awesome Tape Delay simulation. But I have a lot of that ability on my Strymon TimeLine and the Boss RE-20 has some unique sonic quirks all its own.
_ :twisted: _DemonDan_ :twisted: _

MRNUTTY

Post by MRNUTTY » Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:35 am

@_demondan_, I still have a DM-500, and a DM1100 I never had the heart to let my old gear go. :D

You're right, these digital delays were one of the best ones back then. I also save my old DOD rack mount analog delay and digital delay. I wish I had kept the Ibenez HD1000 Harmonizer though, but I swapped it for something long ago. I never thought I would use them again!
VoyagerEB, Minitaur, LittlePhattyII, 4xSlimPhatty, Sub37, MF[2x101,2x102,103,104M,105,105B,105M,2x107,108M], 3xCP251, XV351, MP201;
2xMother 32, DFAM, Subharmonicon;
System 55 and Minimoog clones with lots of mods.

Portamental

Post by Portamental » Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:54 pm

Like them yes, obsessed no. I have seen my GAS syndrome diminished over the last year.

Besides my Lexicon MX-200 delays, which sounds good, but that I don't like to use much for delays because of the interface, I rely on a pair of MF-104m's and an Ibanez ES2 echo shifter. I really like the Ibanez, it's analog and somewhat brighter than the MF-104m.

I'll probably get a minifooger delay when I stumble upon on, but other than that, I am all set.

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:21 pm

Hey Portamental.

Can you tell us more about this Ibanez ES2? I read about random quality units... how old is yours? Is it still like in its first days?...

Portamental

Post by Portamental » Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:59 pm

Yeah sure...

Finding the 104 a bit dark at times (the way I use it), I started to look around, almost decided for a Carbon Copy but the ES2 came along. Almost a fooger with the same body shape, knobs, full analog path and modulation for less than $150. How could one resist? I had to wait a few months though for the unit to arrive.

I arrived from the guitar shop on a saturday afternoon and so eager to plug it in. I popped in a battery : nothing. The unit was dead. Big disappointment. But I could not wait till next monday, so on sunday, I fixed myself a negative center tap power supply... lights went on... sound flowed through. I never returned it. It has been performing flawlessly for a year, rarely turning it off.

Sound wise, it is amazing. In no time, i was able to dial in my favourite 104 setting. Brighter, less garbled on the low end, just as the sound bites had led me to believe. The modulation section works well, very smooth and makes it sound more like what you get from a ClusterFlux than from the mod section of the 104, which can be brutal to say the least.

I don't use them both delays the way most people play them. I have an MF-101 in front with rather strong resonance and envelope dialed in, and I use very long delay times for the most part (hence the garbling of sound in the delay line). Basically, I feed them dirty signals.

If I bypass the 101 and dial in more reasonable delays, an untrained ear would be hard pressed to tell the difference, but still : 104 is more spacious and offers so much more control (CVs), ES2 a bit thinner and brighter. Two good units that complements one another, I wouldn't part with either.

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Wed Jun 11, 2014 4:52 am

Thanks Real, that's a nice reading :)

A friend of mine is looking for his ultimate delay unit, which has to be BBD ans tap-tempo'ed. It seems this one could do the job...

EricK

Post by EricK » Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:28 am

Is that Ibanez ES-2 a vintage reissue?
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

MC

Post by MC » Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:25 am

Love delay FX

2x MF104
Image Image

MF108M

Yamaha E1010

ADA STD-1

Eventide H969 (it DOES have a digital delay)

Also love the Korg SDD delays. SDD-2000

Korg SDD-1200

Korg SDD-3300

And yes, the Dynacord CLS-222 Leslie Simulator is based around BBDs
Gear list: '04 Saturn Ion, John Deere X300 tractor, ganged set of seven reel mowers for 3 acres of lawn, herd of sheep for backup lawn mowers, two tiger cats for mouse population control Oh you meant MUSIC gear Oops I hit the 255 character limi

Portamental

Post by Portamental » Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:08 pm

stiiiiiiive wrote:A friend of mine is looking for his ultimate delay unit, which has to be BBD ans tap-tempo'ed. It seems this one could do the job...
I think so too. To be fair, I have not played (or seen for that matter) most of the units mentioned here but based on the sound bites on YT, it seems to stand near the top. Ibanez is not a name to shy away from. On the down side, this is not a stompbox, watch the slider pot if you wear big boots :wink:
EricK wrote:Is that Ibanez ES-2 a vintage reissue?

I don't think so.. that would be the AD9. No mod section, pricing of re-issue. I believe it is not available any more. High pricing on e-bay. Current Ibanez site shows only the ES-2 as analog delay pedal available.

This is my current guitar rig. Surprisingly silent all chained up. I don't usually chain them all like that and use only what I want to hear from. A very silent Fender Champion 600 with Ruby (now JJ) tubes helps keep the noise down.

CZ Rider

Post by CZ Rider » Wed Jun 11, 2014 4:52 pm

In the studio, it is tough to find a nicer tone than a vintage three oscillator Moog through a tape delay. Still have my old original Echoplex from the 70's. Think I paid $250 for it, and back then for me, that was more than a weeks pay. But what a sound I got from that combo! :D
(A CS-80 was awesome with that Echoplex too!)
Playing live Berlin School/Ambient sets, I found nothing muddied up the mix faster than running multi synths through the same delay. So I would use a dedicated delay for eack solo synthesizer and a main delay for the sequencers. Really like those Zoom 9050's, and had one each dedicated to an ARP Odyssey, Synclavier II, and an MS-20. Although a multi FX unit, I would just use the delay and have saved presets of different configurations that could be changed with a floor pedal. Also had a Zoom 9010, Line 6 Echo Pro, and a dedicated VF-1 for the stereo Voyager.
Six delays in a pair of small protable cases.

Small live rig with that multi delay unit.
Oberhiem Two-voice, Moog Opus 3, Arp Odyssey, MS-20, Indigo 2, Voyager, Synclavier II, Moog modular with some extra MOTM modules.
1P Modular,Minimoog,VoyagerRME,CustomMinimoog,Prodigy,MG-1 TaurusII,Opus3,Rogue,Source,Liberation,Micromoog,1125S&H,
1130Perc.x2,1150Ribbonx2,Custom1150,1120Pedal,Songprod,CP-251,VX-351
VX-352,Etherwave,Synampx2,Lil'Phatty,Sonic Six

MC

Post by MC » Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:03 pm

CZ Rider wrote:Small live rig with that multi delay unit.
Oberhiem Two-voice, Moog Opus 3, Arp Odyssey, MS-20, Indigo 2, Voyager, Synclavier II, Moog modular with some extra MOTM modules.
Man, I thought I was the only musician left on earth who still used a CRT monitor. Glad I am not alone!
Gear list: '04 Saturn Ion, John Deere X300 tractor, ganged set of seven reel mowers for 3 acres of lawn, herd of sheep for backup lawn mowers, two tiger cats for mouse population control Oh you meant MUSIC gear Oops I hit the 255 character limi

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:23 pm

MC wrote:Man, I thought I was the only musician left on earth who still used a CRT monitor. Glad I am not alone!
:lol:

Oh guys, I'm not in such a bad shape, after all :)