Moog modular switches

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
CZ Rider

Re: Moog modular switches

Post by CZ Rider » Wed Jun 04, 2014 3:29 pm

LOL! Now that you mention it, Jagger looks like a Jedi with a light saber the way that photo is cropped. I want to build a Moog Light Saber controller now!
1P Modular,Minimoog,VoyagerRME,CustomMinimoog,Prodigy,MG-1 TaurusII,Opus3,Rogue,Source,Liberation,Micromoog,1125S&H,
1130Perc.x2,1150Ribbonx2,Custom1150,1120Pedal,Songprod,CP-251,VX-351
VX-352,Etherwave,Synampx2,Lil'Phatty,Sonic Six

rarecomponent

Post by rarecomponent » Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:51 pm

So did the coloured slide switches actually shine or just sort of "glowed"..is there a bulb inside or led?

MC

Post by MC » Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:26 pm

LEDs were $200 apiece in 1968 and they weren't very bright. No LEDs in moog modulars back then.
Gear list: '04 Saturn Ion, John Deere X300 tractor, ganged set of seven reel mowers for 3 acres of lawn, herd of sheep for backup lawn mowers, two tiger cats for mouse population control Oh you meant MUSIC gear Oops I hit the 255 character limi

CZ Rider

Post by CZ Rider » Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:16 pm

The UID Ultra-glow are wired to light up when the switch is on. They light up quite nicely and have small "grain of wheat" type bulbs inside them. The switches are DPDT, but the one side is used for the light itself, so only the SPDT side is used to switch CV's or gates in/out.
Nice incandescent glow.
There is a color scheme where red is for the three CV busses 1, 2, 3. Blue is for the external input via 1/4" jack/socket with attenuator. White is for S-trigger sources and routing. And green routes the CV from 911 envelope generators to 902 VCA's. Depending on the photo the white ones can look yellowish, but Moog never used yellow switches.
The lights on those UID type were powered from a seperate filament transformer. It gave out a 5 volt AC source for all the Ultra-glow indicator lights in the system.
The power for the lights were wired as a blue and yellow twisted pair. In portable cabinets this was part of the mulit pin inter-cabinet connectors that carried the +12/-6/GND/-10 supply along with the three CV busses and that 5 volt AC source.
Can see the blue/yellow wire to the back of the switches. And the small wires to the "grain of wheat" minature bulb inside. They need to be soldered in when replacing, and they do burn out.
The Switchcraft Lever-lite looks easier to replace bulbs with a screw in base.
1P Modular,Minimoog,VoyagerRME,CustomMinimoog,Prodigy,MG-1 TaurusII,Opus3,Rogue,Source,Liberation,Micromoog,1125S&H,
1130Perc.x2,1150Ribbonx2,Custom1150,1120Pedal,Songprod,CP-251,VX-351
VX-352,Etherwave,Synampx2,Lil'Phatty,Sonic Six

rarecomponent

Post by rarecomponent » Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:49 pm

Thanks CZ...Ive been studying the Modular light switches a while and this info fills in some blank spots.
Ive made up some clone slide switches similar to the UID ones using RTV moulds and various resins.
Replicating coloured switches is pretty easy but they dont illuminate.
Ive made clear cast ones with various LED colours and these work pretty good but as yet I haven't found a pigment that colours the resin and allows transparency ...the smallest amount of pigment seems to render the resin opaque.
But the coloured clear resin switches look pretty good when illuminated.
Tried to include photo...says " board attachment limit exceeded" ..what !!!!!!!! :?:

noddyspuncture

Post by noddyspuncture » Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:08 pm

I built my own illuminated slide switches using standard 'black' switches with the same 'footprint' and then installing coloured LED's down the actuator. I also re-coloured the plastic of the actuator using a special plastic dye. I made red, blue, green & white switches. These are ultra bright LED's which can be varied in brightness and don't burn out like bulbs do.

Here's a link to a Youtube video of them when I'd finished and fitted them all.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bz3SpQO8RkU

I can make more by the way... :D

Cheerz,
Tom

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:46 pm

If anybody needs a pair of these blade toggle (not slide) switches, PM me. Not looking to pass them along if you are merely stockpiling them, but if you've got a present need, hit me and we can talk.

I'm merely using 4 for a CP based DIY project that I'll finally get to later in the year but have extras.

Some are harvested from other equipment which I'm sure were not Moog CP (who would do such a thing!) and I have two NOS that I picked up in pristine condition. Not all of have colored inserts but you can improvise I'm sure. For starts, the mini-bulbs that are in some are high voltage if memory serves.
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!

BrianK

Post by BrianK » Sat Jun 07, 2014 5:32 am

Has not been mentioned here, but the LeverLite clear toggles use small colored gels behind the switch. Each position can have a different color (or white) when it's tilted to the right angle. The factory supplied them, or you could make your own from standard lighting gels.

I suspect the cost issue was part of the reason for change, as they used 3-way switches for a 2-way function (center and up). There are more complex/expensive than the simpler ColorGlo, so several good reasons to change over there.