My New 1130 Percussion Controller...

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
noddyspuncture

Re: My New 1130 Percussion Controller...

Post by noddyspuncture » Sun May 11, 2014 6:46 am

Eric, I would think an adapter would be easy to make, one that slots into the drum... and also attaches to any stand...!

CZ, great vid - you mentioned the quantiser... is that what you're using in this latest vid to kinda stick to the same notes...? If so could you point me to one somewhere...? By the way - did you never think of trying the CV reversal switch? So you can swap scaled and unscaled around without repatching... it does open up new possibilities...!?

Cheers,
Tom

EricK

Post by EricK » Sun May 11, 2014 11:08 am

I never really wanted to alter it from its original intent, but that might be something to think about.

The sad part is that a buddy of mine had a vintage Ludwig set (9 pieces) that he let his friends destroy and he abandoned what was left of it in Florida. Those tom stands would have worked.

As of right now, it is in a box. When we move I'll dig it out and evaluate it.
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

CZ Rider

Post by CZ Rider » Tue May 13, 2014 3:20 pm

Quantizers are great for something like the 1130. The quantizer forces the CV to round off to different scales, depending on the model. A standard chromatic quantizer will round off the incomming voltages to 1/12th volt steps. Depending on the model quantizer one may be able to select different scales and even modes.
The quantizer I was using on the right 1130 was a Blacet/Wiard Miniwave. That one is a multi purpose device that can be a quantizer or a wavetable lookup oscillator. It has a switch to select different EPROMS. The one EPROM I have is a scale quantizer, with many different scales to choose from. I think the video it was set to octaves and fifths. Really fun to put between the 1130 CV and oscillators. Same with the 1125 Sample-Hold. The quantizer turns random CV's into scales and correct pitches. One of the drawbacks to those random CV's is they can play non-notes, like a slightly sharp C and notes between chromatic notes. The quantizer cleans up those CV's to regular pitches.
They are quirky though. There is a window where the voltage can go either way, and if you are right on the edge of the window the CV may glitch. Depends on the brand but they are not perfect. Great to use with sequencers, but that is where the glitch may happen, dialing in voltages.
The Blacet was DIY and I put my own 5U panel on mine.
Link here:
Blacet Mini Wave 2090: Voltage Controlled Wavetable Device
The other quantizer I use is a Modcan dual quantizer. Mine has a Moog style panel while the stock one is a white panel.
Link here:
Modcan Dual Quantizer module
And I never tried one, but Dotcom also has a quantizer module.
Q171 Quantizer Bank

For my Moog accessories I made a DIY panel with the Cinch 8 pin socket and the four outputs on 1/4" jacks. Gets power from the Mini +/-10V. There is a module next to it unlabled with what I call a modular performance switch. Has 5 ins and 5 outs selectable via a three position six pole CTS rotary like the ones used for Minimoog octave/waveform switching. Can be configured for many switching schemes via one rotary. Depending on the need it can switch around audio or CV's. Set up as two seperate switch sets 1-2-3 and 4-5 the configurations are position 1 is 1-1, 2-2, 3-3, 4-4, 5-5. Position 2 is 1-2, 2-3, 3-1, 4-5, 5-4. And position 3 is 1-3, 2-1, 3-2, 4-4, 5-5. Many shows I would have an oscillator set switching to different filter combinations. Lots of possibilities with those performance switches.
Accessory panel and performance switch panel to right.
Close up of just the Moog Accessory modular panel.
And panel on right, performance switch for selecting incomming Pitch, Filter,Trigger source using another CTS 3 position 6 pole switch. Fast for live use.

The Miniwave is located on the bottom row, fourth module from the left.
1P Modular,Minimoog,VoyagerRME,CustomMinimoog,Prodigy,MG-1 TaurusII,Opus3,Rogue,Source,Liberation,Micromoog,1125S&H,
1130Perc.x2,1150Ribbonx2,Custom1150,1120Pedal,Songprod,CP-251,VX-351
VX-352,Etherwave,Synampx2,Lil'Phatty,Sonic Six

noddyspuncture

Post by noddyspuncture » Tue May 13, 2014 6:27 pm

Thanks for all the info CZ...

I shall look into those... except the dotcom one, as I have learned he doesn't share schematics. That's a decider for me unfortunately... I'd rather DIY and build my own anyways...

Cheers,
Tom

latigid on

Post by latigid on » Wed May 14, 2014 3:52 am

Barton does the Dual Nice Quantizer

Designed for Eurorack but that means it fits into any system :). 15 V power is okay:
http://www.bartonmusicalcircuits.com/dn ... tation.pdf
http://www.bartonmusicalcircuits.com/dnq/

Trans Europa, more of a transposer than a quantiser:
http://www.frequencycentral.co.uk/?page_id=1332

noddyspuncture

Post by noddyspuncture » Wed May 14, 2014 11:19 am

I was just looking at those very pages - like I said, I would rather build my own.... and then I'll also have the schematics...!
Seems the way to go, gonna try it.

Cheers,
Tom

latigid on wrote:Barton does the Dual Nice Quantizer

Designed for Eurorack but that means it fits into any system :). 15 V power is okay:
http://www.bartonmusicalcircuits.com/dn ... tation.pdf
http://www.bartonmusicalcircuits.com/dnq/

Trans Europa, more of a transposer than a quantiser:
http://www.frequencycentral.co.uk/?page_id=1332

noddyspuncture

Post by noddyspuncture » Wed May 14, 2014 9:16 pm

As we cannot upload photos here... I've uploaded some of my 1130 Percussion Controller photos on "Muffwiggler"... you can see them here:

http://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewto ... 11#1559011

Cheers,
Tom

Portamental

Post by Portamental » Sun Jun 08, 2014 4:19 pm

Nice. Is it powered from the accessory port of the Minimoog?

I am sure you know that but for anyone interested in the topic : you can get more dynamics from the 1130 if powered from the Sonix 6 or from an old style modular power supply (-15, +15 volts). I built a custom PS for my 1130's. Makes a whole lot of difference.

noddyspuncture

Post by noddyspuncture » Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:41 pm

Thanks for that info... I made a dedicated external power supply for it and I made it +/-12 volts.

One quick question springs to mind here...

Would a slightly higher power supply voltage also not do the 1125 S&H or the 1150 ribbon controller any harm either...?
Would those units also be OK with 12v instead of the usual 10v...?

Cheers,
Tom

Portamental wrote:Nice. Is it powered from the accessory port of the Minimoog?

I am sure you know that but for anyone interested in the topic : you can get more dynamics from the 1130 if powered from the Sonix 6 or from an old style modular power supply (-15, +15 volts). I built a custom PS for my 1130's. Makes a whole lot of difference.

CZ Rider

Post by CZ Rider » Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:58 pm

Those Moog accessories were made to work on a wide range of voltage supplies. There was no standard from Moog accessory ports and varied from the +10/-10 of the Minimoog to the +15/-15 of the Sonic Six, Micromoog and Multimoog, and +9/-9 on the Satellite.. Acording to the Moog Accessories Service manual a 33% reduction in voltage output using +10/-10 compared to +15/-15.
Should be noted on the 1125 the CV1 and CV2 are not the same, as CV2 has 1/2 reduced output. But the output voltage swing on all those Moog accessories that use the 6-pin power connector will be greater using a +15/-15, such as the 1125,1130,1150.
From the service manual:
1P Modular,Minimoog,VoyagerRME,CustomMinimoog,Prodigy,MG-1 TaurusII,Opus3,Rogue,Source,Liberation,Micromoog,1125S&H,
1130Perc.x2,1150Ribbonx2,Custom1150,1120Pedal,Songprod,CP-251,VX-351
VX-352,Etherwave,Synampx2,Lil'Phatty,Sonic Six