I have the next big idea

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
kidgloves2

I have the next big idea

Post by kidgloves2 » Sun May 04, 2014 7:57 am

An all analog multi-effects unit that has the ability to store presets. Something like the boss ME-80, but all analog with digital control. Make it like the Sub 37 where all the presets can be stored in banks on the surface and all control can be done without menus.

Put the essentials like Chorus, Delay, EQ, Overdrive, Compression, Phaser, tremolo etc... Have an expression pedal. maybe even a spring reverb that runs along the back of the unit.

MOOG are masters at digitally controlling analog. And with the success of the Minifoogers, this seems like the next logical step.

Has there ever been an all all analog multi-fx unit from anyone? If MOOG were to do it, what features would you like to see?

Something like this, but more like the Sub 37:

Sir Nose

Re: I have the next big idea

Post by Sir Nose » Sun May 04, 2014 9:04 am

When is comes to mid to high end effects most folks like their flavors. I don't see this as marketable. But, I don't no much about the market. Just an opinion. With the ipad and interfaces, Multieffects boards are obsolete.

To make it special enough to have routing flexibility, extra modulation, two expression pedals, and all the juice on board, it would retail around $1500 or more. Then an expression pedal dies and you have to send the whole unit in for repair.

kidgloves2

Post by kidgloves2 » Sun May 04, 2014 9:15 am

Sir Nose wrote:Then an expression pedal dies and you have to send the whole unit in for repair.
They can make it so the expression pedal isn't built in. Good idea!

Portamental

Post by Portamental » Sun Jun 08, 2014 4:27 pm

Brrrrrrr, I shiver at the thought of Moog going COSM :lol:

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Sun Jun 08, 2014 5:06 pm

Bitching on:

It will never happen. COSM should stand for "Cochonnerie Odieuse Sans Mérite" in french. Translate it anyway you like, but this is what Google translate came up with :hateful crap without merit, which is essentially right. :lol:

Anyway, it's far, far from real Composite Object Sound Modelling . Most of the time, it consist only of a low pass filter and equalizer and playing with envelope times... :roll:

I had an electronic drumkit from roland that had COSM and it didn't sound anything like a real drums. I sold it and bought a real one.

Ok, bitching off.
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

kidgloves2

Post by kidgloves2 » Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:50 am

I never liked the sound of Boss COSM. I do like the idea of multi-fx pedals that can save presets.

My idea is for MOOG to make an all analog multi-fx pedal. It would need digital control, same as their synths, in order to save presets. MOOG is really good at this.

An all analog multi-fx pedal with the ability to save presets would blow peoples minds.

kidgloves2

Post by kidgloves2 » Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:11 am

Sir Nose wrote:With the ipad and interfaces, Multieffects boards are obsolete.
With that way of thinking analog synthesizers would also be obsolete. There will always be a market for the real thing. That's why MOOG and others are still in business.

Eventually some company is going to make an all analog multi-fx unit. There are already a couple out there, but they are poor attempts. MOOG has been making quality pedals, putting them in one box would be a great next step.

In addition to the obvious modulation, boost and overdrive fx, it would be cool if they put an envelope and filter in it too. And a Morph button like on the new Nord Lead A1. That's a great button for people that want to try new original sounds at the touch of a button. Maybe even 2 external expression pedals.

This thing could be a beast.
Last edited by kidgloves2 on Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

EricK

Post by EricK » Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:48 am

One day the crappiest Digitech multi-effects processor will be vintage gold because everyone has forsaken them for so long in favor of ipad apps. Someone will dig one up at a flea market for 5 dollars and it will be the precursor to a new age of crappy multi-effects pedals. Kickstarters will fund documentaries about them.

So when this happens, I'm going to dust off my GSP-21 and put it towards my retirement.
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

Alien8

Post by Alien8 » Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:38 am

Some of those Digitech Multi effects from the '90s actually sound pretty good. Crappy build, yes, 80-90% of the sounds are crap, but there be some gold in them there boxes - so long as you find a quiet unit. After the XP series the sounds went down hill.

If you want a Moog emulated multieffects board go Line 6.
Vibration emanates from all things, even nothing. Using awareness to translate vibration into "music" is something that I am whole heartedly grateful for.

MRNUTTY

Post by MRNUTTY » Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:43 am

Unfortunately, I experience an unacceptable amount of 'pre-delay'; about 50-100ms when used with an A/D convertor for guitar, or I would agree with you.
VoyagerEB, Minitaur, LittlePhattyII, 4xSlimPhatty, Sub37, MF[2x101,2x102,103,104M,105,105B,105M,2x107,108M], 3xCP251, XV351, MP201;
2xMother 32, DFAM, Subharmonicon;
System 55 and Minimoog clones with lots of mods.

kidgloves2

Post by kidgloves2 » Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:12 pm

Alien8 wrote: If you want a Moog emulated multieffects board go Line 6.
I don't want an emulated fx board

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:46 pm

I could see Moog Music doing something like Korg did, many years ago, with their "modular" PME40X effects, with their new line of Minifoogers effects but with the ability to store presets ?

Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

Vsyevolod

Post by Vsyevolod » Wed Jun 11, 2014 3:52 pm

That's exactly what I was thinking when I saw the original post. Never heard of the Korg pedalboard, though that's exactly right. You'd need an expression pedal or two, assignable per preset, and reconfigurable orders of the MiniFoogers. Also a 5 Fooger unit makes the most sense (so far...)

Stephen

unfiltered37

Post by unfiltered37 » Fri Jun 13, 2014 4:32 am

The MP-201 and foogers already do this, very well. Yes, you only have 4 presets, but then if you want more, get volta or something. I don't see them making something like that just to please the small percentage that want to buy an all-in-one device. Decent idea, but I don't think it's marketable, at least for Moog. I don't know why they scrapped the mp-201, it is an amazing device.

torinkrell

Post by torinkrell » Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:04 pm

Sequential Circuits made a series of digitally controlled rack analog effects with patch memories back in the 80's however, this FX series was not well publicized nor made in significant numbers.
Akai AX-80
Korg Polysix
Roland Juno 60
Moog The Source
Yamaha e1010 BBD
Moog Parametric EQ
Sequential Prophet Pro~One
Altec AS-1600 audio oscillator (1947)
Moog Music Minimoog Model D (1973)