The New Emerson Moog Modular System Is Real

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
thealien666

Re: The New Emerson Moog Modular System Is Real

Post by thealien666 » Sat Apr 26, 2014 6:18 pm

Thanks for the hi-res pic CZ Rider.

There'a a lot of attention to detail, down to the added Dymo labelling on some modules.
Does anyone know what has replaced the CRT display on the top right ? It's clearly not the same as the original. Small HDTV display ? (looks like 16:9 aspect ratio dimensions) Or a modern day digital oscilloscope/vectorscope ?
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

CZ Rider

Post by CZ Rider » Sat Apr 26, 2014 6:36 pm

Actually after looking at those special modules at the top, I realized what they are. Gene Stopp's ASM-1 module with Moog face plates. Makes sense, but I answered my own question about the origin.
Can see the ASM-1 board clearly in this photo.
Hi-rez of rear custom modules
Gene must have added them when he restored the Emo modular for extra functions. The ALPS pots were a dead giveaway. Moog never used these on the modulars. Cool stuff though!

The hi rez pics are from this site:
http://createdigitalmusic.com/2014/04/m ... unch-ever/
And link to the ASM-1 site:
http://rubidium.dyndns.org/~magnus/synt ... nds/stopp/
1P Modular,Minimoog,VoyagerRME,CustomMinimoog,Prodigy,MG-1 TaurusII,Opus3,Rogue,Source,Liberation,Micromoog,1125S&H,
1130Perc.x2,1150Ribbonx2,Custom1150,1120Pedal,Songprod,CP-251,VX-351
VX-352,Etherwave,Synampx2,Lil'Phatty,Sonic Six

ColorForm2113

Post by ColorForm2113 » Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:11 pm

megavoice wrote:FINE !!! And very intelligent !
And where are the "New Emersons" to play or to handle ????
And what kind of music should be played on for the "Modern People" ????
And where is the audience to listen to ????
And...............who (how many) is gonna be ready to pay that price for ????
you don't have to play like Emerson to use an Emerson modular. there is much greater possibilities with this system than just pulling out lucky man. whole albums of any sort of electronic music could be composed with this. from dance to ambient to noise to classical that's the great thing about modular synthesis, it's only limited by the users imagination and bank account.
My modular so far: Q104, Q106 x2, Q107, Q108, Q109 x2 , Q116, Q118, Q127 w/Q140, Q130, STG Wave Folder, Mixer and Mankato playing with Moog Voyager, VX-351, CP-251, MF-104M x2 ( STEREO!) Volca Beats and Bass, Arturia Beat step

Tom_1970

Post by Tom_1970 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:22 am

I can't even start to think on purchasing this synth, but a lifesize poster on the wall of my studio would be nice. :D

EricK

Post by EricK » Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:36 am

ColorForm2113 wrote: there is much greater possibilities with this system than just pulling out lucky man.
Someone should tell that to Keith Emerson.
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

ColorForm2113

Post by ColorForm2113 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:59 pm

EricK wrote:
ColorForm2113 wrote: there is much greater possibilities with this system than just pulling out lucky man.
ouch! :lol:
My modular so far: Q104, Q106 x2, Q107, Q108, Q109 x2 , Q116, Q118, Q127 w/Q140, Q130, STG Wave Folder, Mixer and Mankato playing with Moog Voyager, VX-351, CP-251, MF-104M x2 ( STEREO!) Volca Beats and Bass, Arturia Beat step

Sweep

Post by Sweep » Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:53 pm

EricK wrote:
That's very unfair. 1) He's never rated that solo himself, and 2) he's done a lot of other stuff with the modular.
Websites: http://musicbysweep.com and http://theSynthiMusicSite.infinite9ths.com

Sweep

Post by Sweep » Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:00 pm

Hmmm.

If I had the money (unfortunately I don't), would I buy one? Well -

1) Do I rate Keith Emerson? - Yes

2) Do I rate the Moog modular? - well, it depends. For certain things, yes.

3) If I was to buy one, would I buy a Keith Emerson clone? - no. I might buy one if it was the configuration I wanted, but not a copy of someone else's modular. As a musician I'd want it to be my modular, not a copy of someone else's.

I think it would be nice if someone was to give one of these to Rachel Flowers, though. I think she's proved her right to it.
Websites: http://musicbysweep.com and http://theSynthiMusicSite.infinite9ths.com

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:47 pm

Sweep wrote:Hmmm.

If I had the money (unfortunately I don't), would I buy one? Well -

1) Do I rate Keith Emerson? - Yes

2) Do I rate the Moog modular? - well, it depends. For certain things, yes.

3) If I was to buy one, would I buy a Keith Emerson clone? - no. I might buy one if it was the configuration I wanted, but not a copy of someone else's modular. As a musician I'd want it to be my modular, not a copy of someone else's.

I think it would be nice if someone was to give one of these to Rachel Flowers, though. I think she's proved her right to it.

Much agreed, Sweep! 8) Except I think this rig might be overwhelming for Rachel. She should definitely be gifted a MiniMoog but if she wanted to get adventurous a smaller modular like a System 15 or 35 would probably be much better, at least to start out with! :wink:
John L Rice
MiniMoog, MinitMoog, MG-1, Sub Phatty, 5U modulars, Eurorack modulars

Vsyevolod

Post by Vsyevolod » Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:26 am

The absolute worst way to start learning any modular is by starting with a large system...

Stephen

Sweep

Post by Sweep » Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:44 am

John and Stephen - yes, I agree with both of you, a modular could present difficulties (though I wouldn't risk underestimating Rachel, either). :)

To explore some points about the production of this modular I think it may be helpful to consider Rachel's possible use of an instrument -

I find I respect Rachel - not just for achieving something that would be beyond most people despite being blind. Plenty of blind people achieve significant things. But her obvious love for Keith Emerson's music and her blend of skill and sheer enjoyment seem to me to be the main things that come across very positively from her.

Whether she'll make her own original music to a similar standard, or whether she's more of a performer than a composer remains to be seen. Time will tell. I'm sure there are people who'd happily work with her in a band performing situation, but she may have her own personal development to follow.

And that leads me to the point with this remake of Keith Emerson's modular. There's a market for copy instruments - the David Gilmour black strat and so on. With this modular you presumably get pretty much what Emerson has, which is of course ideal for playing ELP stuff. For someone like the guy from Noddy's Puncture who sometimes posts here that looks to be ideal, and I'd like to hear his take on this. And for someone like Rachel it might be a potentially useful system, though as I said we don't yet know where she's going to go with her music.

But for most musicians, does it really make sense to have the exact configuration Keith Emerson has? Many of us may respect Keith Emerson greatly but still not want to make similar music, and the point of a modular is to select the modules you need to make your own music with. I wonder if it might make more sense for Moog to follow up this Keith Emerson model with a more flexible choice of modules - you could specify variant modules, or ask for certain modules to be left out so you can add whatever you need later as you explore the possibilities of the system. That, to me, recalls the original point of modular systems and opens out into the desirable situation where musicians who aren't in tribute bands or aren't exploring the work of someone else can develop their instrument in just the way they need to for their own music.

I certainly don't have a down on musicians who would value a Keith Emerson clone instrument, as should be clear from what I've said. But I would like to see something more open-ended. Of course there are plenty of modular systems available for people who want to explore them, but when Moog have gone to this much trouble already it seems sensible to open things up a bit more. And it isn't everyone who needs a rocket launcher.

MC

Post by MC » Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:06 am

Vsyevolod wrote:The absolute worst way to start learning any modular is by starting with a large system...
It didn't hurt Keith Emerson
Gear list: '04 Saturn Ion, John Deere X300 tractor, ganged set of seven reel mowers for 3 acres of lawn, herd of sheep for backup lawn mowers, two tiger cats for mouse population control Oh you meant MUSIC gear Oops I hit the 255 character limi

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:41 am

MC wrote:
Vsyevolod wrote:The absolute worst way to start learning any modular is by starting with a large system...
It didn't hurt Keith Emerson
Keith started out relatively small, it was a borrowed system 35 (I think) and the owner tutored him and even went on stage to help him patch. 8)
John L Rice
MiniMoog, MinitMoog, MG-1, Sub Phatty, 5U modulars, Eurorack modulars

EricK

Post by EricK » Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:57 pm

Sweep wrote:
EricK wrote:
ColorForm2113 wrote:That's very unfair. 1) He's never rated that solo himself, and 2) he's done a lot of other stuff with the modular.
Why is that "very unfair?" He is a good player but I just don't like his music. Please show me some great examples of stuff he's done with it. I feel the same about Wakeman.

I'm more inclined towards Herbie Hancock, Chick Corea, Bernie Worrell, Tangerine Dream, JMJ and that type of stuff if I'm really interested in hearing synths.

I just never was too thrilled with the type of arrangements and style of ELP and Wakeman. There is a post on muffs about how he never seemed to change the patch much. :D
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

ColorForm2113

Post by ColorForm2113 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:19 pm

EricK wrote:
Sweep wrote:
EricK wrote:
ColorForm2113 wrote:That's very unfair. 1) He's never rated that solo himself, and 2) he's done a lot of other stuff with the modular.
Why is that "very unfair?" He is a good player but I just don't like his music. Please show me some great examples of stuff he's done with it. I feel the same about Wakeman.

I'm more inclined towards Herbie Hancock, Chick Corea, Bernie Worrell, Tangerine Dream, JMJ and that type of stuff if I'm really interested in hearing synths.

I just never was too thrilled with the type of arrangements and style of ELP and Wakeman. There is a post on muffs about how he never seemed to change the patch much. :D
hey I didn't write that ! :?: