Multimoog Osc A noisy

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
soulstar108

Multimoog Osc A noisy

Post by soulstar108 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:26 am

Hello

I have an old multimode from 1978 serial no 1962 and I remember giving it to someone to
repair years ago and when it came back oscillator A sounded dirty as though it was modulated
slightly by an audio freq osc.
The guy who repaired it was such a nightmare I didn't bother taking
it back as I was worried he'd screw it up even more, and I needed the synth for work.
Any ideas as to what could be wrong ?
I saw in a post with a similar problem that it could be the connection between the extension
board that gives the Multimoog the extra features to the Micromoog, does anyone know if the
'added' extra osc is A or B ?

Cheers
Mike

MC

Re: Multimoog Osc A noisy

Post by MC » Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:49 am

That is jitter in OSC A and it is a common problem with Multimoogs. OSC A is the extra component on the extension board. I am not sure but I seem to remember that the connectors between the two boards was the cause of the issue.
Gear list: '04 Saturn Ion, John Deere X300 tractor, ganged set of seven reel mowers for 3 acres of lawn, herd of sheep for backup lawn mowers, two tiger cats for mouse population control Oh you meant MUSIC gear Oops I hit the 255 character limi

soulstar108

Post by soulstar108 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:56 am

Thanks for your reply, do you know if it's just a matter of cleaning the connecting to cure the jitter ?

Cheers
Mike

sunny pedaal

Post by sunny pedaal » Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:37 pm

i have a multimoog for years now.
never noticed it had a " noisy osc A " so guess a good technician might solve your problem

Jimmy@Jacksons

Post by Jimmy@Jacksons » Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:37 am

Hi Mike,

If you know which board that noisy oscillator A is on, look for connectors leading to it. Gently pull connector loose and spray with a good contact cleaner (Caig De-oxit). Reconnect and wiggle the connector gently in the socket to ensure good contact. Give it a try and see if that helps. Where are you located? I operate a repair shop out of Jackson's Music in WInston-Salem, NC. If you are nearby, bring it on in!

Jimmy

soulstar108

Post by soulstar108 » Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:23 am

Thanks for the advice and the offer Jimmy, I live in the UK so a little too far away :)

Regards
Mike

sunny pedaal

Post by sunny pedaal » Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:10 am

some good repairguys in the netherlands.
info at synthforum.nl or on request by pb

Mao.60

Post by Mao.60 » Fri Dec 16, 2022 11:34 am

Hi.
I have the same problem on a Multimoog which has a low octave lower frequency on oscillator "A" and which is clearly audible (albeit attenuated relative to the carrier) especially on 8' and 4' footage. I point out that I have already replaced the TL 081 IC ( Top Board ) known to deteriorate the signal (it feels "dirty") always referring to oscillator A on the additional board: if you have other solutions Thanks!