Moog Werkstatt

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
_DemonDan_

Re: Moog Werkstatt

Post by _DemonDan_ » Tue Jun 10, 2014 5:02 pm

Schlabadiwutz wrote:Is it possible to use Werkstatt in Europe too? I'm asking because of the voltage.
Der Werkstatt uses +12vDC.

I used my 12v Minitaur adapter when I made the demo video.

So... If you could find a Euro Minitaur adapter you'd be all set.
_ :twisted: _DemonDan_ :twisted: _

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Tue Jun 10, 2014 5:21 pm

But how would he be able to buy a Werkstatt in Europe if they don't sell it outside USA ?

(see earlier post by Red on the subject on page 2 of this thread)

Unless he knows someone in the states that could buy it for him, and ship it to Europe privately ?
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:46 pm

Who would do such a thing? : )
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!

kn_s

Post by kn_s » Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:35 pm

so i got word today that i made the cut for the first round of these shipping out and am very excited, but this thing opens up a new realm for me...that is the circuit bending and building end of electronics that i have NOOOOOOO clue on, but am super psyched to get into yet have no idea where to start. any pointers? sites? i'm a journeyman plumber (with a BFA in sculpture) that has some electrical background so i get flow but working with boiler wiring vs synth wiring just seems so different although it probably isn't. and Daniel Fisher thanks for that great video but stop making things sound so good that i always want to buy them my wallet is starting to hurt. rambling. anyway is the werkstatt going to get its separate forum? talk mods etc etc???!!
LP solar, minitaur, m32, werkstatt, 101/102/103/104m/105m/107/108m,cp-251,mf delay v1&2+drivev2, microkorg, monologue, volcas, monotribe & trons, sq-1, too many pedals!, guitars, '07 imac (10.11.6), simmons sds7, & now eurocrack, etc...

red

Post by red » Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:03 am

. . . je viens de lire:

Moog выпустил небольшую ограниченную подготовку производства для Moogfest. Они не достигают международной купли-продажи. Продукт все еще разрабатывается и будет официально поступит в продажу в третьем квартале 2014 года. Мы сообщим вам, как только придет время.

:!:
::red

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:14 pm

For those who don't speak Russian (or French) :
red wrote: ...I have just read:

"Moog produced a small limited production preparation for Moogfest. They do not reach the international sale. The product is still being developed and will officially go on sale in the third quarter of 2014. We will inform you as soon as the time comes."
French translated by me, obviously, but Russian translated using Google Translate.
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

Vsyevolod

Post by Vsyevolod » Wed Jun 11, 2014 3:14 pm

red wrote:So I learned that a US company is not free to sell an US product (a Moog product) outside the USA??? Is there any reason for this?
It was never intended for sale outside the Moogfest workshop. With the popular demand they received, they probably just started making them available locally within the US. To sell to Europe, they probably have to get them CE certified. Sounds like they'll be doing this later in the year.

Stephen

Schlabadiwutz

Post by Schlabadiwutz » Wed Jun 11, 2014 3:43 pm

Thanks Demon_dan. Yesterday I've received an email from a sales guy from Sweetwater that they are not allowed to sell Werkstatt to Europe. So no Werkstatt for me. :oops:

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Wed Jun 11, 2014 4:02 pm

Schlabadiwutz wrote:Yesterday I've received an email from a sales guy from Sweetwater that they are not allowed to sell Werkstatt to Europe.
So no Werkstatt for me.
You never know. There are a lot of friendly, helpful people on this forum...
_ :twisted: _DemonDan_ :twisted: _

AEBroadus

Post by AEBroadus » Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:42 am

grokostimpy wrote:First post.
...and I just preordered my first Moog from Sweetwater! I'm really looking forward the the werkstatt!

I'm curious if anyone knows: There does not seem to be a headphone jack, or a volume control... Does that mean that I'll need to run it through a mixer or maybe a Kaoss-pad in order to play with headphones?

Thanks!
The Audio out of the Werkstatt is simply "ON" but is hot enough to drive a set of headphones (left channel). There is NO volume control, so you'd need something in the line if you want that dynamic. I've had some lovely success putting my into the External Audio "IN" of my Voyager as a drone pitch and playing it along side the Voyager and though it's envelopes.
To define is to limit.

AEBroadus

Post by AEBroadus » Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:47 am

Vsyevolod wrote:
red wrote:So I learned that a US company is not free to sell an US product (a Moog product) outside the USA??? Is there any reason for this?
It was never intended for sale outside the Moogfest workshop. With the popular demand they received, they probably just started making them available locally within the US. To sell to Europe, they probably have to get them CE certified. Sounds like they'll be doing this later in the year.

Stephen

During the workshop, the points made for participants bringing their WS back to Europe was that they could get the proper adapter as needed, and the solder we were using was compliant with some EU regulation. Past that I was too busy getting mine built to bother paying attention to the European instructions. You may want to contact Moog itself regarding the Euro issues.
To define is to limit.

AEBroadus

Post by AEBroadus » Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:06 am

thealien666 wrote: But why would anyone, who already own a Voyager XL, a Sub Phatty, a Theremin, multiple Moogerfoogers, a GRP A4, would want such a simple toy soooo badly ?

Buy yourself a Korg MS20 re-edition and you'll get twice the number of oscillators, twice the number of filters, better envelopes, a more complete patch bay, and a better keyboard...
Or maybe the complete set of Volca mini synths (for about the same price as the Werkstatt).

Of course you wouldn't get a genuine Moog ladder filter and a genuine Moog sound, but you already have that in spades. :wink:

My reason for the Werkstatt was more about the Engineer Package and getting a mild workout in soldering and some confidence to dig into "Bending" and "Mod'ing", at a place that I love and to build a piece of gear that IS... THAT SOUND. The Moog engineers were epically patient and helpful to everyone as we soldered the points (pots, switches, keys, buttons, CV, power, and audio jack) and then dialed everything in. Steve Dunnington (the engineer who designed the Werkstatt) taught those of us who did not know what we needed to know and then some.

The thing that I ended up with was a Stone'age RAW hunk of Moog synthesizer, with a hugely flexible and surprisingly powerful voice. This instrument is no joke and not a toy, no matter how fun it is. It won't spoonfeed you it's sound, you'll have to earn it. But once you have the instrument dialed in... yea, it's might tasty indeed!

Here's an example. I did a demo of the new MF-104M SuperDelay with the WS as the demo instrument. The VO is crap, I "solved" that with annotations, but that's useless if your view doesn't do them (iOS app for example)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4NCeeQg_aw
Of course, the video is about the MF-104MSD, but the Werkstatt does get to flex some muscle, too.
Last edited by AEBroadus on Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
To define is to limit.

AEBroadus

Post by AEBroadus » Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:42 am

And to the earlier thought about Eurorack and mounting it along with other modules, here's some perspective on it's size
To define is to limit.

AEBroadus

Post by AEBroadus » Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:58 am

kn_s wrote:so i got word today that i made the cut for the first round of these shipping out and am very excited, but this thing opens up a new realm for me...that is the circuit bending and building end of electronics that i have NOOOOOOO clue on, but am super psyched to get into yet have no idea where to start. any pointers? sites? i'm a journeyman plumber (with a BFA in sculpture) that has some electrical background so i get flow but working with boiler wiring vs synth wiring just seems so different although it probably isn't. and Daniel Fisher thanks for that great video but stop making things sound so good that i always want to buy them my wallet is starting to hurt. rambling. anyway is the werkstatt going to get its separate forum? talk mods etc etc???!!
There is a slowly growing bucket of mod' examples for the WS, mostly I've seen ewetube demos of what they did or how to get other CV devices into the WS. It was pointed out to us during the Engineering sessions that the deepest mods are inside the jumpers. We were given access to a closed website with the schematics of all the circuits which point out where the jumpers are for said mods. There is also a 6x16 point "Experimenters Pad" for building small circuits (I'm so not there yet). Here's a look at the board
You won't have much actual soldering to put it together, so no sweat there. But as for any surgical modification? I'm not quite there yet to offer advice.
To define is to limit.

EricK

Post by EricK » Fri Jun 13, 2014 12:18 pm

Hopefully someone will post the schematics somewhere.
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.