Time for Moog to balls up.

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
User avatar
Cenydd Ros
Posts: 23
Joined: Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:27 pm
Location: The Red Planet
Contact:

Time for Moog to balls up.

Post by Cenydd Ros » Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:13 am

I own a Voyager. It is the finest synthesizer I have ever owned (and I have owned many) - a masterpiece of machinery.

Where will Moog go now? The Sub 37 Tribute looks like a good instrument, but also something like an entry synth.

It's time Moog balls up, and lives up to their name. I want to see a kick ass polysynth to rival DSI, or even the Schmidt. Serious. Just F-ing do it. Hire some people with Masters in electrical engineering and build it!

And here's one for the masses - why not a polyphonic modular synthesizer?
Moog should offer a line of modular units for a polyphonic modular synthesizer. Modular synths are all the rage now (imagine that) - so why not profit from this and take it to the next level?

What made Moog great was innovation. Innovation and quality.
Bob may be gone now, but those who run his company are caretakers of his legacy. It's time to step up to the plate and give musicians what they want.

I want a polyphonic normalized Moog.
I also want a polyphonic modular system (which would be an earth-shattering innovation).

Moog, I challenge you.
We're in the building where they make us grow
And I'm frightened by the liquid engineers
Like you

User avatar
MC
Posts: 2881
Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2003 2:20 pm
Location: Secluded Tranquil Country

Re: Time for Moog to balls up.

Post by MC » Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:23 am

Cenydd Ros wrote:I want a polyphonic normalized Moog.
I also want a polyphonic modular system (which would be an earth-shattering innovation).

Moog, I challenge you.


And you're prepared to pay any cost...
Gear list: '04 Saturn Ion, John Deere X300 tractor, ganged set of seven reel mowers for 3 acres of lawn, herd of sheep for backup lawn mowers, two tiger cats for mouse population control Oh you meant MUSIC gear Oops I hit the 255 character limi

User avatar
fyvewytches
Posts: 267
Joined: Mon May 30, 2011 6:38 pm

Re: Time for Moog to balls up.

Post by fyvewytches » Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:44 am

What is with people and polyphonic Moogs ??

IMHO polyphonic and analog do not really work well together… so why got to all the bother and massive cost when a digital instrument would sound so much better at a fraction of the cost ?

Cenydd Ros wrote:I also want a polyphonic modular system (which would be an earth-shattering innovation).

No it wouldn't be an "earth-shattering innovation", you can build one whenever you want. Do you really understand what a modular synthesiser is ?
Latest track, Dancing On The Ecliptic http://soundcloud.com/ianman/dancing-on-the-ecliptic-demo

User avatar
MC
Posts: 2881
Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2003 2:20 pm
Location: Secluded Tranquil Country

Re: Time for Moog to balls up.

Post by MC » Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:30 am

fyvewytches wrote:IMHO polyphonic and analog do not really work well together


I beg to differ, polyphonic analogs can actually work quite well.

so why got to all the bother and massive cost when a digital instrument would sound so much better at a fraction of the cost ?


Whether digital sounds so much better is highly subjective and is not an all-encompassing conclusion. Just because it costs less does not make it better.
Gear list: '04 Saturn Ion, John Deere X300 tractor, ganged set of seven reel mowers for 3 acres of lawn, herd of sheep for backup lawn mowers, two tiger cats for mouse population control Oh you meant MUSIC gear Oops I hit the 255 character limi

User avatar
fyvewytches
Posts: 267
Joined: Mon May 30, 2011 6:38 pm

Re: Time for Moog to balls up.

Post by fyvewytches » Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:56 pm

MC wrote:I beg to differ, ...


Sure, that's why I added "IMHO" (In my humble opinion).
Though I would not be surprised if 90% of the people who so badly "want" a polyphonic Moog would not buy one if it were available.

MC wrote:Whether digital sounds so much better is highly subjective and is not an all-encompassing conclusion.


Of course it's subjective !! Most of the discussions here are subjective… there wouldn't be much point otherwise. And btw, that subjectivity works both ways ;-)

MC wrote:Just because it costs less does not make it better.


Correct, and I did not write that it does.
Latest track, Dancing On The Ecliptic http://soundcloud.com/ianman/dancing-on-the-ecliptic-demo

unfiltered37
Posts: 645
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:28 pm

Re: Time for Moog to balls up.

Post by unfiltered37 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:19 pm

There should be a separate section in this forum for these periodic threads. There must be a hundred of them calling for a poly or a modular. Obviously there are so many options for both already available, so the only real market is for the people who are just collectors or just perpetually waiting for the next new thing.

I doubt there is any significant number of people who don't own an analog synth and are just waiting for a Moog poly or modular to be built to buy their first analog. And if you can't get wonderful and amazing sounds out of a mono Moog, I doubt seriously a poly will somehow be the holy grail.

If you have the hardware fetish, get a huge modular, even a poly modular, but putting pressure on Moog to build something that could be detrimental or draining to the company just to fill an even smaller niche is kinda silly.

User avatar
MC
Posts: 2881
Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2003 2:20 pm
Location: Secluded Tranquil Country

Re: Time for Moog to balls up.

Post by MC » Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:37 pm

As much as I would love a modern 21st century memorymoog, the reality is it won't sell big numbers like the Voyager or Phatty or MF pedals. One can dream big but as an engineer I also have to be practical.
Gear list: '04 Saturn Ion, John Deere X300 tractor, ganged set of seven reel mowers for 3 acres of lawn, herd of sheep for backup lawn mowers, two tiger cats for mouse population control Oh you meant MUSIC gear Oops I hit the 255 character limi

megavoice
Posts: 343
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:27 pm

Re: Time for Moog to balls up.

Post by megavoice » Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:01 pm

Cenydd Ros wrote:I own a Voyager. It is the finest synthesizer I have ever owned (and I have owned many) - a masterpiece of machinery.

Where will Moog go now? The Sub 37 Tribute looks like a good instrument, but also something like an entry synth.

It's time Moog balls up, and lives up to their name. I want to see a kick ass polysynth to rival DSI, or even the Schmidt. Serious. Just F-ing do it. Hire some people with Masters in electrical engineering and build it!

And here's one for the masses - why not a polyphonic modular synthesizer?
Moog should offer a line of modular units for a polyphonic modular synthesizer. Modular synths are all the rage now (imagine that) - so why not profit from this and take it to the next level?

What made Moog great was innovation. Innovation and quality.
Bob may be gone now, but those who run his company are caretakers of his legacy. It's time to step up to the plate and give musicians what they want.

I want a polyphonic normalized Moog.
I also want a polyphonic modular system (which would be an earth-shattering innovation).

Moog, I challenge you.


What you've written here could be a product of my own brain for 100 %.
Yes, when I'm comparing steadily my CHROMA with my Prophet 08 there are not worlds, but universes apart as for their basic sounds, although they're both analog. So a new analog will NEVER represent an old one. Please note this.
I've weekly contact to my tech who is busy with the old ones every day heavily.
Just recently I've asked him about how expensive a new Polymoog with VCOs would come and he said FAR ABOVE 4 or 5ks. And I mean Euros. You can consider this as absolutely reliable.
Note also what I've written here recently. We havn't that masses of audience who like to listen to their sounds as common man can't differ between a digital or an analog. And we don't have those famous artists like John Lord or Rick Wakeman any more to whom young musicians might look up and consider them as their idols and as music styles have changed as well through the decades.
That's why it's very difficult and dangerous for a company to take a risk in developing and releasing a new poly.
Our "synth-group" is too small. BUT LET US HOPE THAT I'M WRONG...............................
"Losers always whine about their best. Winners go home and fu** the prom queen." —Sean Connery to Nicholas Cage in "The Rock" (1996)
I've never seen any real prom queen here in my country, but if we had some they'd
**** with everyone.

vasago
Posts: 99
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:48 am

Re: Time for Moog to balls up.

Post by vasago » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:03 pm

getting a polyphonic moog these days is easy and cheap. Just be prepared to eat alot of channels up on a mixer LoL
Voyager Performer FR Revox2 Taurus3 mf;102,103,104zx2,105m,CP251x1 SEM Xpander 808 606 pro1x2 FR XS, FRorbx3 Modfactor timefactor space mopho PolyE Nord g1 Vermona drm mk3 KP3x2

EMwhite
Posts: 1651
Joined: Sun Jun 21, 2009 12:22 pm
Location: Middlesex

Re: Time for Moog to balls up.

Post by EMwhite » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:29 pm

I'm going to play the 9 voice Little Phatty on Thursday or Friday of this week.

Will let you know if it's all that it's cracked up to be.

I've always wanted three Slims to add to my Little, but it wasn't to be; Little Phatty now gone; had to consolidate studio space and essentially trade it plus my Old School for a Voyager select and a 5 Octave Modular controller.

I am still waiting through... for Moog to release whatever comes after the Sub37 in module form, to allow chaining, and there... you'll have what you want and Moog can sell all of these wonderful synths individually also.

Until then maybe take out a home equity loan and just get it over with and buy a Schmidt.
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!

vasago
Posts: 99
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:48 am

Re: Time for Moog to balls up.

Post by vasago » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:59 pm

EMwhite wrote:I'm going to play the 9 voice Little Phatty on Thursday or Friday of this week.

Will let you know if it's all that it's cracked up to be.

I've always wanted three Slims to add to my Little, but it wasn't to be; Little Phatty now gone; had to consolidate studio space and essentially trade it plus my Old School for a Voyager select and a 5 Octave Modular controller.

I am still waiting through... for Moog to release whatever comes after the Sub37 in module form, to allow chaining, and there... you'll have what you want and Moog can sell all of these wonderful synths individually also.

Until then maybe take out a home equity loan and just get it over with and buy a Schmidt.


I had a 5 voice phatty for over a year. Meh. I mean I liked it, but wasnt as good as a 5 voice "x patch" as it was as a sweet way to layer sounds in unison, or sequenced badassery.

Now the voayger, I love the chords I have been making with it. I only have three voices right now, but I do like it much better than I did the phat-tron.


Not to dis OP, but it's fairly easy to get everything he stated. just has to be in pieces, which isnt a problem for me.
Voyager Performer FR Revox2 Taurus3 mf;102,103,104zx2,105m,CP251x1 SEM Xpander 808 606 pro1x2 FR XS, FRorbx3 Modfactor timefactor space mopho PolyE Nord g1 Vermona drm mk3 KP3x2

EMwhite
Posts: 1651
Joined: Sun Jun 21, 2009 12:22 pm
Location: Middlesex

Re: Time for Moog to balls up.

Post by EMwhite » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:03 pm

3 voice Voyager? You have a Voyager + 2 RMEs and they work well together (using an old poly chain algorithm I suppose?).

CZ did something like that I think and then there was some guy in Japan or China that beat the hell out of his Voyager on YouTube in a 2 voice mode. Is running a 4 voice Poly Voyager actually feasible? (cost aside) Where did the Phatty setup shine/fall down as compared to the Voyager?

I've never been a big fan of the Dave Smith stuff but the synth in a chip, and the thinness of it likely plays well into a Polyphonic Analog. The OBX was the ultimate monster in my opinion but obviously, it was early days as far as features were concerned.
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!

psynthetic
Posts: 153
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:26 am

Re: Time for Moog to balls up.

Post by psynthetic » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:12 pm

I could honestly die happily (hopefully quite awhile from now) without ever seeing a polyphonic moog, or a modular… infact.. especially a modular.. what got moog famous was switch from a big modular system into a small, punchy, thoughtfully layed out, portable performers tool wasn't it?

besides, chords are over rated anyway :roll:

vasago
Posts: 99
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:48 am

Re: Time for Moog to balls up.

Post by vasago » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:20 pm

EMwhite wrote:3 voice Voyager? You have a Voyager + 2 RMEs and they work well together (using an old poly chain algorithm I suppose?).

CZ did something like that I think and then there was some guy in Japan or China that beat the hell out of his Voyager on YouTube in a 2 voice mode. Is running a 4 voice Poly Voyager actually feasible? (cost aside) Where did the Phatty setup shine/fall down as compared to the Voyager?

I've never been a big fan of the Dave Smith stuff but the synth in a chip, and the thinness of it likely plays well into a Polyphonic Analog. The OBX was the ultimate monster in my opinion but obviously, it was early days as far as features were concerned.



Image


here's my old lady listen to my crap as i jam out. This was taken as I racked up #3 the day I got it(about two weeks ago).

Differences so far as I noticed.


1. slim seems to "bright" even when the filter is mostly closed.
2. Also sounds a bit 8 bit-ish to me if that makes sense. makes it difficult to get sounds that I like(obvious subjective based reference).
3. voyager sounds "fuller" to me. I like that. makes its easier to do high and low notes. the metallicness of the res can bleep up your combo patches though. It could be just my recent habbit of filter pole setting/spacing/res.
4. Voyager can easily sound soft and warm, makes it easy to do combo patch chords. Also, makes its easy to do filter tracking chords. I did not like it on the phat-tron.
5. bad side of voyager ness: the low end is massive. FAQ. can be difficult at times. Gotta give me some leeway as I am still getting used to it. Normally when I had only two, it was two different patches, that complimented each other.
Voyager Performer FR Revox2 Taurus3 mf;102,103,104zx2,105m,CP251x1 SEM Xpander 808 606 pro1x2 FR XS, FRorbx3 Modfactor timefactor space mopho PolyE Nord g1 Vermona drm mk3 KP3x2

unfiltered37
Posts: 645
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:28 pm

Re: Time for Moog to balls up.

Post by unfiltered37 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:37 pm

psynthetic wrote:
besides, chords are over rated anyway :roll:


I completely agree. Chords/chord changes are completely overrated as a form, especially in electronic music. It depends on the music and the players, but monos tend not be overindulged like polys, the latter being overused a lot to the point of being cheesy and leaving no space.

Post Reply