UK based. Warranty question re .Thomann purchase.

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
A Lyttle Folk

UK based. Warranty question re .Thomann purchase.

Post by A Lyttle Folk » Sun Mar 16, 2014 3:19 pm

Hello there and, as this is my first post here, the best regards to you all.

My situation is that I live the U.K. and I am thinking of buying a Voyager XL from Thomann in Germany. The shop offers a three year warranty as I understand it. Which is good, obviously, but I'm concerned about establishing a proper user-distributor-manufacturer kind of relationship. Suppose at some point in the future, once the warranty has run out, I needed work done on it. Presumably the way to do it would be via the distributor in Britain. Or are Moog generally willing to deal directly with end users? If it was done via the distributor and I had bought it from Germany then perhaps they would be reluctant to help. It would be difficult to deal with the German distributor as there is a language barrier to contend with.

I suppose that if Moog were willing and able to send parts from America to Britain and were willing to put me in touch with whoever services Voyagers in the U.K. then I would be alright...

So - a few straight questions if I may:- are there any U.K. based Thomann customers on here please? Have you ever needed to have your Moog repaired? Was it under warranty or not? Did you have to go via the distributor to get your problem sorted out? Do you wish you'd bought it in Britain? Who is the official Moog service engineer in Britain?

Any thoughts please. Your input is very welcome!

I am very keen to buy this synth, but a little alarmed by the comments about broken oscillators, boards that can't quite take the strain etc. on the Voyager forum.

Thanks very much.

radioland

Re: UK based. Warranty question re .Thomann purchase.

Post by radioland » Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:42 pm

I can`t really answer your questions, for I don`t live in the UK, nor do I own a voyager.
But if you ever need help with the language barrier, you can ask me. I live in Switzerland and I`m a German and English teacher. :D

radioland
Sub Phatty, MF-101, MF-103, MF-104M, MF-107 (3), MF-108M, CP-251 (2), EP-2, Gibson Les Paul Studio 60s Tribute, Fender 50s Precision Bass, EBS Valve Drive, Lehle Sunday Driver, EHX Big Muff Pi, EHX Stereo Pulsar, TC Electronic Trinity Reverb, Logic Pro X

christopherrowand

Post by christopherrowand » Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:16 pm

Thomann have a dedicated English phoneline and always have been most helpful in this regard.

But I'm not sure if your Voyager would need sending back to them for repair. That would be a hassle.

Consider buying British , although you get less warranty you are giving money back to the UK economy.

Good luck in your decisions.

megavoice

Post by megavoice » Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:23 pm

If would also be of great interrest for me if Moog has "only" authorized techs over the world, if yes, this could enhance fixing prices - its annoying. See DSI.............
"Losers always whine about their best. Winners go home and fu** the prom queen." —Sean Connery to Nicholas Cage in "The Rock" (1996)
I've never seen any real prom queen here in my country, but if we had some they'd
**** with everyone.

A Lyttle Folk

Post by A Lyttle Folk » Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:40 am

Hello again, and thanks very much for all the contributions. Radioland - that was a really generous offer of good, practical assistance, cheers.

I decided that the way to go would be contacting the distributors in Britain and asking if they had one in stock and if they did then I could safely buy from a British retailer. I did just that and hopefully I'm getting one today, as the dealer has arranged for it to come directly from the distributor to me. So now I'm sitting here waiting for UPS to deliver it. All full of hope and trepidation!

Thanks again for your help.

'bye for now.

fyvewytches

Post by fyvewytches » Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:58 am

Ok, I'm a bit late to the party but just for info, I bought my Voyager from Thomann and unfortunately it has had to be repaired three times since I got it. It is still under the three year extended warranty and the return process has been fast and efficient on each occasion. They send you a prepaid UPS label, all you need to do is contact UPS to arrange pickup.

As far as I know Thomann then forward the instruments to Rudi Linhard... Who better to repair your Voyager in Europe !! Contact with Rudi himself is aslo always very fast and he really is a very nice guy !!
Latest track, Dancing On The Ecliptic http://soundcloud.com/ianman/dancing-on ... iptic-demo