My dream Moog Drum Machine...

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.

Would you buy something like this?

YES!
61%
er...no :{
39%

Total votes: 31

GregAE

Post by GregAE » Thu Dec 15, 2005 9:46 am

sir_dss wrote:Thanks Greg for putting me in my place...
Not my intent. I'd never presume nor make a judgement on someone I've never even met - especially a fellow Voyager enthusiast. Apologies if anything I wrote offended. :-)

This forum is a good place to present ideas and thoughts on advancing the art, and all ideas are equally valid. Although I don't have much interest in a Moog drum machine, others clearly do, and I can certainly respect that. (An aside, my interest in the next Moog product is a CV oscillator expansion box for the Voyager, very similar to an idea proposed by godzilla. Thread: http://moogmusic.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1955&start=0)

One of the ways Moog gets feedback and suggestions on products is right here on these message boards, frequented by Voyager enthusiasts who are motivated and involved, and not afraid to voice their thought and opinions regarding Moog's current and future products. Every manufacturer should be so lucky to have such direct feedback from its customers.

Cheers!

Greg

P.S. - After all this Moog probably WILL announce an analog drum module at the winter NAMM in January! D'oh! :o
Last edited by GregAE on Fri Dec 16, 2005 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

sir_dss

Post by sir_dss » Thu Dec 15, 2005 3:05 pm

Alright,

My bet for the next Moog product are a Touchpad XYA expander that will work with the MMV and Moogerfood pedals.

Also isn't the RME also the CV oscillator expansion box for the Voyager?

GregAE

Post by GregAE » Fri Dec 16, 2005 8:03 am

sir_dss wrote: ... isn't the RME also the CV oscillator expansion box for the Voyager?
Well, yeah, I suppose you can look at it that way. Expensive for just an oscillator expander, though, and way overkill for the purpose. And you still need the VX-352 for CV control.

That said, if I had that kind of money, I'd buy one. :-)

Greg

Nick Montoya

Post by Nick Montoya » Tue Dec 20, 2005 2:07 pm

Wowee... Lots of Arguments here... Bummed about that.. Bob wouldn't want us to argue....

I personally would love a Moog Drum machine or bringing back a series of Moog percussion controllers. like 3 controlers (assignable with CV) to the Voyager and other synths..

Whatever Moog releases next, even if its a Moog food proceesor, I'd probably buy one...

I will say this much and not anything more than :

IT WILL NOT BE LONGER THAN A MONTH TO SEE WHAT THEY RELEASE NEXT ! ISN"T THAT WHAT THE NAMM CONVENTION IS ALL ABOUT? NEW SHTUFF ! I WILL BE THERE TO WITNESS IT FIRST HAND (YES I"M A BASTARD) BUT NO ONE KNOWS (OTHER THAN MOOG MUSIC) WHAT IS WILL BE !! LETS ALL BE PATIENT AND STOP ARGUING !
http://www.thevoltperoctaves.com

http://www.myspace.com/thevoltperoctaves

http://www.moogmusic.com/artists/?cat_id=28

GregAE

Post by GregAE » Tue Dec 20, 2005 4:03 pm

No arguments here - just a lively discussion about the relative merits of differing ideas. One man's drum machine is another man's expander box...

Cool that you'll be there to see NAMM in person. I understand it's quite a show!

Greg

Lengai

Post by Lengai » Mon Jun 04, 2007 2:16 pm

It will likely take software and an LCD screen like the Voyager to really make this machine rock.

My biggest problem with most drum machines is the accent. The 808 and Korg ER-1 have global accents. I don't think that should be done away with, but it needs improving.

If Moog does do R&D on this, I hope it has a global accent (adjustable of course) and that it also has Low, Medium, and High individual accents similar to the Redrum in Reason. This would also have to be adjustable. I think the flexibility with the accents is a big key to making a drum machine worthy of the Moog name. It will make the machine sound a lot more organic.

An offset pot that moves notes +/- off center would also be great, and a flam feature.

Extremely flexible accents, and the offsets would be immensely useful, but would have to incorporate software.

analoghaze

Post by analoghaze » Mon Jun 04, 2007 5:48 pm

most surely would be best if the jack points were 3.5mm 1/8" type vs. 1/4"

No!! That is not the Moog way
Music can Name the Unnamable and Communicate the Unknowable.

'I am... everything is... changed... they're calling... your face... interwoven... who is...' Patient mumbles inaudibly to a tune (sounds like 'Thanks for the memory).

analoghaze

Post by analoghaze » Mon Jun 04, 2007 6:04 pm

sir_dss wrote:Alright,

My bet for the next Moog product are a Touchpad XYA expander that will work with the MMV and Moogerfood pedals.

Also isn't the RME also the CV oscillator expansion box for the Voyager?

I would LOVE a Touchpad from Moog!!
Can't the FreqBox 107 be used as a CV Osc. expansion for the Voyager?

:D

As far as the Drum Machine, I would like to see CV for every possible parimeter. Ins and Outs. Gate triggers on each part!!!

Since Moog does read this: I'm the guy who always askes for the VC Flanger when I register all my new Moogs!!!! 8)

Wowee... Lots of Arguments here... Bummed about that.. Bob wouldn't want us to argue....
I think what we are seeing is passionate musicians who love Moog!!

'I am... everything is... changed... they're calling... your face... interwoven... who is...' Patient mumbles inaudibly to a tune (sounds like 'Thanks for the memory).

Hyphen nation

Post by Hyphen nation » Tue Jun 05, 2007 12:50 am

What about the Concussor modules? Not that I wouldn't be stoked at a moog take on this....I even suggested elsewhere for a sequencer and fooger drum modules....but I think the AS Concussors may do quite a bit of what people are looking for? likewise check out the review by monads on the Jomox999 on the moog wishlist thread...no CV but good review...

http://www.moogmusic.com/forum/viewtopi ... 2&start=15

analoghaze

Post by analoghaze » Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:28 am

fooger drum modules

:idea:

Wow... great idea... that would be KILLER!

latigid on

Post by latigid on » Tue Jun 05, 2007 6:17 am

analoghaze wrote:Also isn't the RME also the CV oscillator expansion box for the Voyager?
Yes, it scales 1 volt per octave, but apparently doesn't track linearly and will probably be a sucker for drift, seeing as it has no Tempco.

Maybe we should ask those who have done the "Lord of the Ring Modulator" trick using the 102's VCO what their experiences were.

I'm gonna buy one (a 107) any way :)

GregAE

Post by GregAE » Wed Jun 06, 2007 7:58 am

latigid on wrote:
analoghaze wrote:Also isn't the RME also the CV oscillator expansion box for the Voyager?
Yes, it scales 1 volt per octave, but apparently doesn't track linearly and will probably be a sucker for drift, seeing as it has no Tempco.

Maybe we should ask those who have done the "Lord of the Ring Modulator" trick using the 102's VCO what their experiences were.

I'm gonna buy one (a 107) any way :)
The VCO in the MF-102 is actually quite stable and tracks very linearly, making it an excellent candidate as an extra oscillator for the Voyager. It has no temperature compensation AFAIK, but in a recent experiment only drifted slightly over a 24 hour period (no actual measurement here - after an initial warmup and unison tuning with a single Voyager VCO, there was only a slight bit of beating observed between the two oscillators after 24 hours, and frequency tracking remained excellent over the Voyager's 3 1/2 octaves. This unscientific test was done in a studio environment at a constant room temperature.)

Since the FB oscillator was derived from the Voyager VCO, I'd expect it to be stable enough to use as an extra oscillator (even without a tempco), and with good linear tracking. An advantange of using the FB as an oscillator expander instead of the '102 is that the FB's osc waveform can be adjusted just like the Voyager's VCOs, while the MF-102 osc waveform is fixed.

:)

Kevin Lightner

Post by Kevin Lightner » Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:41 am

While I could be wrong, I think the Vger's stability comes from precision matched transistors (like MAT-04) and a constant correction routine in software.
If an external slave oscillator has no such correction, temperature compensation or heated component technology, once the temperature changes, so will its frequency.

So, if a vco is tested at a constant temperature, the test is basically eliminating any benefits of having temperature compensation in the first place.
It's the opposite of what test conditions are necessary.
Take such a setup outside or invite a bunch of people into a studio room and the ambient air temperature will probably vary.
These are the conditions of playing live or as found in many studios and thus two important reasons why tempco engineering is necessary.
The worst time to find your synth is out of tune is up on a stage or when the recording process is taking place.

latigid on

Post by latigid on » Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:51 am

Do you happen to know how well Little Brother worked? Would the tempco (if present) be compensating at the same rate as inside the synth? So would it be possible to "add" tempco to the freqbox if desired?

Kevin Lightner

Post by Kevin Lightner » Wed Jun 06, 2007 1:53 pm

Do you happen to know how well Little Brother worked? Would the tempco (if present) be compensating at the same rate as inside the synth? So would it be possible to "add" tempco to the freqbox if desired?
The Arp Little Brother used an Odyssey power supply and a 2600 VCO module. So, it was pretty stable.
2600 vcos used a tempco resistor.

I have no idea about the FreqBox since I've never touched one.
However, assuming a -5 to +5 volt input and 1v/oct response, that's 10 octaves.
And assuming the front panel Freq control covers that 10 octaves as well, this means that one single pot is controlling a very huge range.
To me, that says you'd have a hard time keeping it stable to begin with.
Of course, this is all assumptions and I'm probably wrong, but I'm still not sure that it would be a good candidate to use it as an external musical vco.