My dream Moog Drum Machine...

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.

Would you buy something like this?

YES!
61%
er...no :{
39%

Total votes: 31

sir_dss

My dream Moog Drum Machine...

Post by sir_dss » Wed Dec 14, 2005 3:46 am

What do you all think of this idea.

I would love it if Moogmusic came out with a new analog drum machine that would interact with other Moog instruments like the Voyager and Moogerfooger effects.

A Drum Machine that has CV control inputs for each voice(snare, bass, hi hats, etc...) that way you could use the CP-251 or the Voyager to interact with the Moog Drum Machine.

1. CV control over attack and decay of each drum voice.
2. CV contol over the pitch/tuning of each drum voice.
3. CV control over the panning of each sound for wild surround sound(maybe even 4 output quad sound!)
4. CV/Audio inputs for Frequency Modulation of each drum voice for really crazy sound.

It could also send CV signal to not only sync but to also modulate the Voyager or Moogerfooger pedals.

Programming would be very similar to a 808 or 909 but the ability to play odd time signatures 5/4, 9/8 etc...

It would also have seperate outputs for each voice to really help with mixdowns.

Sweep

Post by Sweep » Wed Dec 14, 2005 9:37 am

I'd be interested if they also allowed it to be controlled from the Voyager keyboard so you could play the drum sounds live or play some live stuff over a programmed backing. That's a great way to get over the automatic precision of drum machines.

monads

Post by monads » Wed Dec 14, 2005 12:53 pm

Very nice idea :D But that's alot of CV inputs and most surely would be best if the jack points were 3.5mm 1/8" type vs. 1/4" to keep the unit small. Don't forget about individual outputs of the drum voices and envelops to interface with your other modular gear if needed. Or are we talking about another breakout box for CV outputs like the VX-351?

I would like a dedicated patchable LFO with around 10 selectable waveforms as well with this unit :wink:

sir_dss

Post by sir_dss » Wed Dec 14, 2005 2:52 pm

Hey I'm just coming up with the concept not the design . I do like the idea for another breakout box for people who want the option of so much CV control. 1/4" is way better than 1/8" plugs/jacks.

Yes the whole point is to create something that interacts with other Moogmusic gear(or modular synths) by CV.

It's idea is more like having a MODULAR DRUM MACHINE with sequencer.

I wonder why people are voting against it?

Myabe it's the Moog staff/designers that are just thinking "....the work!"

It would be like the most kick @$$ drum machine ever.

monads

Post by monads » Wed Dec 14, 2005 3:43 pm

Yea, the concept is good. I like it. I understand the reason for 1/4" jacks and to interface with Moog gear. But it would just be alot of jacks and I was trying to pack alot of jacks in a small space. Plus I wanted it more so to interface with Doepfer gear and my Cwejman modular :wink:

It would would be killer though. Might be tough to come up with a competitive price point. I think most users really want to see a budget mono synth. Not me though :D

Lengai

Post by Lengai » Wed Dec 14, 2005 6:01 pm

I haven't played a 909, but an 808 is a fairly large drum machine so 1/4" may work. Definitely CV jacks would be needed. The blue backlighting and wood panels and maybe make it expandable to add more features like the Voyager does. Hopefully it would not emulate an 808, but have more "realistic" sounds. It would have to have the booming kick that the 808 and 909 have but with a Moog sound similar to the Voyager's percussion sounds.

sir_dss

Post by sir_dss » Wed Dec 14, 2005 6:47 pm

People don't understand that the Voyager RME is the Moog bargin synth!

GregAE

Post by GregAE » Wed Dec 14, 2005 7:35 pm

Seems to me that you could program the desired drum samples on the RME and multi-track them into a backing track for a song. Or, you could (shudder!) sample RME drum sounds and create a track using that.

Proof of concept, perhaps?

Greg

sir_dss

Post by sir_dss » Wed Dec 14, 2005 7:59 pm

Greg...

C'mon man? Most people don't want to put all the work into doing all that.

A simple all in one analog drum machine with lots of CV control.

A companion to your Voyager based analog synth studio.

It would be great.

What do you mean by "Proof of concept, perhaps?"

Lengai

Post by Lengai » Wed Dec 14, 2005 8:48 pm

I second that. If I make some really cool percusiion sounds on the Voyager, I could save the presets to use, but doing all of the drum work one sound at a time would be very tedious. It is nice that we can do it though. Sampling is another way to go, but not quite the same as the real sounds. I know there are a lot of anti drum machine musicians, but there are a large number of us that do like to use them. The speed of using the dedicated drum machine would be worth the price along with the quality and creativity Moog can put into it.

GregAE

Post by GregAE » Wed Dec 14, 2005 11:16 pm

sir_dss wrote:Greg...

C'mon man? Most people don't want to put all the work into doing all that.
Yeah, most don't, but it seems to have worked out pretty well for Wendy Carlos and Isao Tomita. :-)
sir_dss wrote: A simple all in one analog drum machine with lots of CV control.
A companion to your Voyager based analog synth studio.
I understand your thoughts on this. It's a cool idea that has merit. Trouble is, I don't think it would generate enough sales for Moog to make it a profitable product, and that's going to be the determining factor. Still, there's no harm in voicing your ideas here. Moog does keep an eye on these boards.
sir_dss wrote: What do you mean by "Proof of concept, perhaps?"
Didn't really mean 'concept' - my bad. The engineer in me was thinking that it might be worthwhile going through the exercise of creating some drum sounds using your RME and multitracking them just to see what you can do with the sounds. Prove that the idea can produce useful results in some kind of context.

It's still a cool idea.

Greg

sir_dss

Post by sir_dss » Wed Dec 14, 2005 11:34 pm

Thanks Greg for putting me in my place...

monads

Post by monads » Thu Dec 15, 2005 12:42 am

Right, RME is the budget synth they've all been looking for. And yea you could sample the sounds from Voyager but it would just be alot of work. Since I've updgraded my Machinedrum to UW I've thought of doing just that. But I'd rather sample non traditional sounds and load them into the MD for sequencing. That's why I'd like to see a dedicated Moog drum machine.

I think it could generate lots of sales. Look at how well the Machine Drum did and is still doing. It's the best Drum Machine on the market period and UW really opens up the door for user experimentation.

If Moog made a run for it there'd be a market for it if priced right. Analog Moog drum machine with CV patch points? Sign me up!

Indeed

Post by Indeed » Thu Dec 15, 2005 4:58 am

of course i'd buy it!!!
even though i'm sample-based, i know the value of a good drumMachine-synth in my setup...

I can't believe all the folks who said "no." But hey, if they make one, I'll buy it and make bangin sh*t. Others will sneer or cheer... i think Moog's just got some magic on the under... i'm not gonna sleep anymore (nor will i be a fanatic)...

:idea:
MPC3000, MF-101, 102, 103, 104Z, 105M, 108m, 107, CP-251, MINI MODEL D, OB-8, ALESIS A6, ARP ODYSSEY MK1, RHODES MK1

martin

Post by martin » Thu Dec 15, 2005 9:21 am

somehow this board is kinda turning into some kind of parliament with conservatives and liberals bangin their heads in saying "i want a drum box" or "build me a synth" or "make me a modular" or "knit me a moog chapka". moog should be lucky that they don't even need to ask around what they should build. the ideas are already there. and if the drumbox is in the pipeline then that's whats gonna happen. some will still not be interested in the least. if it's the synth, others will say nay. if it's a new moog raincoat, others will yell, "heck no, not another raincoat!"

the rme is not the bargain synth "they've all been looking for". it has the same features as the mmv except the touchpad and a keyboard plus or minus some other things, i don't even wanna know. how is that gonna be a bargain if you have to buy more stuff in order to even play it? keboards are cheap, ok, but it is still an extra cost that you could just as well give to the food bank. plus, an rme is quite a clunky affair, unlike the funkymoog/prodigy/rogue some may have in mind.

it's kinda sad that some peole say stuff like "i wonder how people can possibly not want a drum box" or whatever. i don't have an ipod, nor a car, nor a tv set nor a cellphone. so what? don't need any of those things. neither do i need a drumbox from moog. nor from any other manufacturer. don't preach people into feeling like losers because their playing style and needs are different, please.

whatever the moogies are gonna build it will appeal to some and not to others. so chill.