Arturia MinimoogV vs. Official Moog Apps Vs. Hardware

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
voltagecontrol

Arturia MinimoogV vs. Official Moog Apps Vs. Hardware

Post by voltagecontrol » Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:20 pm

Greetings!

Anyone have comparisons/hands on experience with Arturia's Minimoog V, the Official Moog apps and the Real Thing?

Curious for various reasons.

Thank you!

-VC

Kenneth

Re: Arturia MinimoogV vs. Official Moog Apps Vs. Hardware

Post by Kenneth » Sat Dec 14, 2013 1:29 pm

Yes, I have used both software emulations of Moog synthesizers as well as real Moog hardware. The software sounds good, but it does not sound like an actual Moog.
Moog Matriarch, ARP Odyssey MKII, Roland Juno-60, Yamaha DX7, Yamaha VSS-30

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Sat Dec 14, 2013 2:11 pm

Hello, and welcome voltagecontrol ! :D

I'm glad you asked that question. I've had the opportunity to compare both Arturia's Minimoog V and GForce Minimonsta software emulators agains't my 1975 Minimoog D.

While Arturia's previous product, the Modular V, was a very successful and a great product, their Minimoog V did not impress me as much (maybe because I didn't have a Modular Moog system next to it to compare to the Modular V ?).

I personally found the Minimonsta to be much closer to the sound and behavior of the real thing. My best friend who also tried both agains't his own Minimoog thought the same thing.

Arturia's software lacks the punch and distortion that the real Mini is famous for. The Minimonsta comes really, really close. Even down to the emulated overdriven sound by the external input feedback trick which is the only emulator, to my knowledge, capable of reproducing that behavior and sounds. It's not totally identical, but very very close.

But these are only opinions based on our ears.

BTW, I don't use any of those two products anymore, since I've realized that there's nothing like the real thing and, although I don't yet have a Modular Moog, I do have a semi-modular hardware synth to play with.
Real analog synths will always offer a better experience, both with their real hands-on tactile interface, and their unpredictable sounds. They're much, much more gratifying on both counts.

Alain.
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

strizbiz

Post by strizbiz » Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:15 pm

I dont have any moog hardware synth but Ive played them and like the song goes, " Aint nothin like the real thing baby" but as far as the Imini vs Animmog for Ipad, they are completely different from each other. Id say Imini is more like a MiniMoog in terms of aesthetics and the overall programing of sounds and how its set up in general, its more of an Analog emulation. Animoog is more of a Wavetable synth. While it does have the Moog filter it uses what is essentially moving wavetables. If youre looking for that old school MiniMoog operation and programing vibe Id say get the Imini. In the end Id say get them both because they are so different from each other you wont be buying 2 versions of the same synth.

robml

Post by robml » Sat Jan 11, 2014 4:34 pm

i rate the minimonsta too.

cheers