Duophony / 1 note per oscillator in Moogs

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
eXode

Re: Duophony / 1 note per oscillator in Moogs

Post by eXode » Thu Nov 28, 2013 1:04 pm

XAXAU wrote:Alright I´m gonna download the manual for it and check it out. Even if the voice allocation is random it could be cool! Was thinking of getting a row of euros for effects, modulation and stuff and I know there is a slick module by Mutable Instruments coming out soon that can do those kinds of tricks! http://www.modulargrid.net/e/mutable-instruments-yarns
For Euro in particular, there's the Pittsburgh Modular MIDI2 that offers a duophonic mode, there's also the qMI by Vermona that offers a four voice polyphonic mode.

XAXAU

Post by XAXAU » Thu Nov 28, 2013 1:14 pm

eXode wrote:
XAXAU wrote:Alright I´m gonna download the manual for it and check it out. Even if the voice allocation is random it could be cool! Was thinking of getting a row of euros for effects, modulation and stuff and I know there is a slick module by Mutable Instruments coming out soon that can do those kinds of tricks! http://www.modulargrid.net/e/mutable-instruments-yarns
For Euro in particular, there's the Pittsburgh Modular MIDI2 that offers a duophonic mode, there's also the qMI by Vermona that offers a four voice polyphonic mode.
Ooooh, vill check those out!

CZ Rider

Post by CZ Rider » Thu Nov 28, 2013 2:20 pm

A duophonic Moog is easy to set up with two Moogs. Just set the one to high note priority and the other to low note priority on the same MIDI channel. Play one note and they both follow like a doubled monosynth. Play two notes and you get a split between the two. Just like the early analog duo keyboards like the ARP 2500/2600, Odyssey, or Moog Sonic Six and 952 modular controller.

I have tried the Moog poly chain, and prefer the duo-mode setup. With the Moog poly chain you are stuck with a menu dive to set it up, then stuck in that mode. With a high/low note setup you can save the different configurations as presets. (At least you can with two RME's) So one saved patch could be a monster dual Moog tone (both low note priority), while another could be a dual/split sound.
The duophonic playing creates many tones not possible with a single mono. You can slur notes where you seem to stretch the note by playing legato. And being able to selectively play intervals. The Odyssey even had the ability to sync the oscillators together, giving the split playing a new tone. Not to mention playing a bass note while soloing over top.

Here is a small demo of the ARP Odyssey playing duophonicly. Not only can you play intervals easier than retuning, you also get that slur playing legato.
Odyssey Duo demo MP3 2.3MEG download.
My current duophonic Voyager. Could probably do this with any two modern Moogs?

EDIT: Back in the old days '76-'77 there was an add for a mod in Keyboard magazine to get duophonic capability on your Minimoog. Was by Valley Sound and cost around 100 bucks. The old second generation (3046) Mini oscillator board was capable of sending different CV's to each oscillator without much difficulty. My Mini is modded that way with seperate but normalled CV inputs. The Sequential Citcuits 700 programer also used this type mod to the Mini.
1P Modular,Minimoog,VoyagerRME,CustomMinimoog,Prodigy,MG-1 TaurusII,Opus3,Rogue,Source,Liberation,Micromoog,1125S&H,
1130Perc.x2,1150Ribbonx2,Custom1150,1120Pedal,Songprod,CP-251,VX-351
VX-352,Etherwave,Synampx2,Lil'Phatty,Sonic Six

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Thu Nov 28, 2013 2:39 pm

Very nice little MP3 there CZ Rider. I like it ! :D
Sort of a "JMJ on acid" type piece... :lol:
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

XAXAU

Post by XAXAU » Thu Nov 28, 2013 3:59 pm

CZ Rider wrote:A duophonic Moog is easy to set up with two Moogs. Just set the one to high note priority and the other to low note priority on the same MIDI channel. Play one note and they both follow like a doubled monosynth. Play two notes and you get a split between the two.
Nice! I´ll be trying that out for sure! And that MP3 is wicked!

Vsyevolod

Post by Vsyevolod » Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:33 pm

There is a thread on this forum where one guy relates his experience chaining several SlimPhatty's to his LittlePhatty keyboard. He got it working just fine.

Stephen