New Keybed for the Memorymoog

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
thealien666

Re: New Keybed for the Memorymoog

Post by thealien666 » Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:59 am

Kevin's Opto-Key is completely incompatible with the Memorymoog for at least two reasons:

1- its firmware would have to be rewritten for polyphonic key scanning

2- it generates pitch control voltage and gate signal, and would have to be modified to output digital data instead
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Sun Dec 01, 2013 3:58 am

Opto-Key looks really nice but if the feel of your keyboard is crap (uneven keys, clacking/worn bushings, etc) it really doesn't accomplish much except 'now it works'. I contacted Synthfool and zero response but I understand that there are some health related issues with the guy that runs it.

I just picked up a Fatar to transplant into my SCI Pro-One. Will see how it all works out. It's the same size as the Phatty keyboard and I've been meaning to replace my Tribute's keyboard with something nicer; it's even, no clacking, etc. just plastic'ey and cheap feeling.

Has anybody dealt with a distributor of Fatar? I've had a Novation which had Fatar-inside and a Studiologic (same company) and really like the feel but they do not seem to be sold retail; Doepfer used to do this but got out of the business, shame.

You'll always have to mess with diode matrix and cable types to provide your vintage keyboard with the signals that work; you MIGHT be able to leverage channel aftertouch or maybe in the rare case, interfacing with Pressure either via CV or Midi. I'd be happy just to have new, nice feeling key beds which were simple key pressed/key not pressed affairs. The velocity sensing of my LP Tribute is very poor at the moment and I'm not sure if it's the physical key bed or the logic/scanning algorithm that just doesn't address this in any meaningful way.
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!

megavoice

Post by megavoice » Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:40 pm

I'm knowing now why the keybed feels so swampy. I've talked to my tech and he said that above the release and under the keys' stop there's a felt-layer. Now its very fine for me to understand this discomfort.
I've reflecting about to swap it with a rubber-layer i.ex. from an inner tube of a bike. But they're are also to buy in all gauges.
Has someone of you made some experiences with rubber-layers ?
"Losers always whine about their best. Winners go home and fu** the prom queen." —Sean Connery to Nicholas Cage in "The Rock" (1996)
I've never seen any real prom queen here in my country, but if we had some they'd
**** with everyone.